Nikon D5500 - Its coming, Its coming

how about starting with a mirrorless camera that doesn't stink, then we can talk about an f-mount [something that can't probably ever happen--physics and stuff].

An F-mount MILC would be.. odd. The whole point of mirrorless is to make things smaller, and the F-mount mandates an enormous flange distance (in mirrorless terms, it's pretty average for a reflex system).

Not to say it won't happen, but I'm not sure why anyone would bother. Just use an optical finder with a digital overlay.

After fooling around with my a6000 I can honestly say that I feel that mirror-less will be the NEXT BIG THING. The eyelevel finder isn't up to an optical finder yet but, it will only get better as the technology improves.

An F-mount MILC would be.. odd. The whole point of mirrorless is to make things smaller, and the F-mount mandates an enormous flange distance (in mirrorless terms, it's pretty average for a reflex system).

Not to say it won't happen, but I'm not sure why anyone would bother. Just use an optical finder with a digital overlay.
That is probably what is holding them back right now. I doubt if they want to go the same rout Sony has gone with adapters. Doing away with the mirror and pentaprism eliminates a pretty big expense and weight. I'm convinced that it will happen because there are many things mirror-less does better. One of the nicer things is low light composition. Even though the scene is very dark, the finder brightens up much brighter than any optical finder ever could. Another thing is manual focus. I use my old adapted Minolta lenses and they focus as fast manually as if I had a rangefinder.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to dump my Nikon, mainly because of the completeness of the system which Sony doesn't even come close too. I'm saying that when the technology reaches a point that Nikon can produce a mirror-less FX camera that satisfies Nikon's goals, it will be the NEXT BIG THING.

Voice activated controls?

"Increase ISO to 400"
"WHAT did you call me?"
"Not you, I was talking to my camera"
I can picture in my mind all sorts of people walking around talking to cameras gives me the shivers. There's enough people now walking into poles,etc using a cell phone.

What might be a problem for Nikon is what they have already committed to the Nikon 1 mount. Can they make a mirrorless FX body and glass using the Nikon 1 mount? I know they are making an F to 1 adapter.

it's going to stick large lenses so far away from form the tiny body, like imagine using a stack of extension tubes on a 70-200.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back