Nikon d7100 AF-mode button doesn't work

kevmk81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, the AF-mode button doesn't work anymore on my d7100. Yes, It's not on "L" on the selector lever on the back of the camera. Yes the lens is on Autofocus as well as the AF selector on the front of the camera near the lens mount.

I have tried reseating the lens, reseating the battery, using multiple different memory cards, which all comes down to the button still not working. I just bought the camera in October, has a bit over a couple thousand shutter releases.

So I call the local camera shop. Four to eight weeks to have the thing fixed. For the amount of money that I put down on this camera, that is entirely unacceptable. Especially for something that is probably just a button replacement.

Any suggestions? Is that really the only option? Are there any Nikon brick and mortar stores in the US? I'd rather drive states away to have someone repair it, then ship the dang thing.

So, the AF-mode button doesn't work anymore on my d7100. Yes, It's not on "L" on the selector lever on the back of the camera. Yes the lens is on Autofocus as well as the AF selector on the front of the camera near the lens mount.

I have tried reseating the lens, reseating the battery, using multiple different memory cards, which all comes down to the button still not working. I just bought the camera in October, has a bit over a couple thousand shutter releases.

So I call the local camera shop. Four to eight weeks to have the thing fixed. For the amount of money that I put down on this camera, that is entirely unacceptable. Especially for something that is probably just a button replacement.

Any suggestions? Is that really the only option? Are there any Nikon brick and mortar stores in the US? I'd rather drive states away to have someone repair it, then ship the dang thing.

Have you tried a different lens?

Anyhow, you can look on Nikon's site for a local repair place but chances are it's going to need to be shipped back to Nikon. I had to ship my Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 and it was about 4 weeks turn around.

One last thing to note and check - is there a switch on the lens itself for M/A ? just to double check it isn't set to M - as there are a few places it can actually be set.

And yes, is it one lens or all?

One last thing to note and check - is there a switch on the lens itself for M/A ? just to double check it isn't set to M - as there are a few places it can actually be set.

And yes, is it one lens or all?

Yep, the lens(es) and the camera are all set to autofocus. It happens with all of the lenses I own.

I would send it back to Nikon. Is it under warranty?

I would send it back to Nikon. Is it under warranty?

Yeah it's under warranty. I haven't sent registration papers to Nikon though. The paperwork is in the box still. Would they refund my money from when I bought it? Or are you saying send it back to Nikon to fix it?

I like the idea of sending it back for a refund. I could just go out and purchase a different one. :-/

Yeah it's under warranty. I haven't sent registration papers to Nikon though. The paperwork is in the box still. Would they refund my money from when I bought it? Or are you saying send it back to Nikon to fix it? I like the idea of sending it back for a refund. I could just go out and purchase a different one. :-/

Either or. Get on it.

Try a couple things before sending it in for repair. One is the two-button reset. See page 131 in the manual. The other is remove the lens and carefully clean the electrical contacts of the camera's lens mount. Use isopropyl alcohol on a soft tissue.

Try a couple things before sending it in for repair. One is the two-button reset. See page 131 in the manual. The other is remove the lens and carefully clean the electrical contacts of the camera's lens mount. Use isopropyl alcohol on a soft tissue.

Thanks... I'll give the alcohol a shot.

Is using the two button reset the same as going through the menu system on the camera and restoring to defaults? I have restored the camera's shooting defaults, and the custom settings defaults as well already. Is that what the two button reset does?

I did that and now i don't remember the 90's...

I think the two-button-reset does a total factory reset while the 'reset to defaults' in the menu only does a few settings.

Your probably going to have to send it in :(

*Edit*: stupid question... but your not in AF-ON mode by any chance?

I think the two-button-reset does a total factory reset while the 'reset to defaults' in the menu only does a few settings.

I don't think it's in "AF-ON" mode. I'll check when I get home. Ugh... this sucks. So much for my weekly project for taking pictures of my newborn. I've been taking a picture every week of my little boy since he was born in May. Same chair, same lighting, always in diapers, same camera settings. So much for that. :*-( I could use a different camera, but that would throw off the whole look of the project. :thumbdown:

I don't think it's in "AF-ON" mode. I'll check when I get home. Ugh... this sucks. So much for my weekly project for taking pictures of my newborn. I've been taking a picture every week of my little boy since he was born in May. Same chair, same lighting, always in diapers, same camera settings. So much for that. :*-( I could use a different camera, but that would throw off the whole look of the project. :thumbdown:
You could always just focus your camera.

You could always just focus your camera.

I'm not the best at manual focusing, especially when it's a moving 7 month old! Otherwise I would. Plus, this is something that I've spent over $1200 bucks for (when I bought the body only back in October), not much more than 90 days ago, this is entirely unacceptable. In my opinion the store I bought it at should provide an even exchange. All they would do is return it to Nikon, who would fix it, and resell it as a refurbished model.

To make things clear, I had a d3200 before I bought the d7100 in October. Sold the d3200 after I bought the new camera.

I would understand if I've had the camera for a year. My d3200 never had defect issues. Yikes!

It's a mass produced piece of consumer electronics.
Some % of all mass produced consumer electronics made will develop a problem of one sort or another within the warranty period.
It doesn't matter what company is involved, it happens to all of them.

For critical uses photographer usually make sure they have back up gear.

Nikon has 2 repair facilities in the USA. One of the west coast, and 1 one the east coast.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Authorized-Repair-List.page
When you enter - D7100 - you will get this message:
Only Nikon is authorized to repair your Nikon . Please use our online repair form to generate a packing slip, shipping label and printable instructions for receiving service

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back