Nikon d7100 AF-mode button doesn't work

*sigh* - did all of the resets, did the cleaning with alcohol. No dice. What a bummer. Not impressed with Nikon products at the moment.

*sigh* - did all of the resets, did the cleaning with alcohol. No dice. What a bummer. Not impressed with Nikon products at the moment.

Did you have a bad experience with the D3200?

No :)

Point taken!

But, what are the chances of something else being screwed up if I send it in for this repair? 1 for 2, and the one that seemed that should be better quality failed on me. Makes me wonder what else will be wrong with it.

No :)

Point taken!

But, what are the chances of something else being screwed up if I send it in for this repair? 1 for 2, and the one that seemed that should be better quality failed on me. Makes me wonder what else will be wrong with it.

All I can say is Nikon did a fantastic job fixing my 17-55mm 2.8. I'm talking about a lens that had been dropped and the rear mount completely missing. My lens looks and performs like new. So I wouldn't think twice about shipping it back to Nikon.

So, UPS vs USPS, any suggestions? Fedex is out of the question in my neck of the woods.

UPS is more expensive, and 10 miles away. USPS is cheaper and in my town.

UPS is more expensive, and 10 miles away. USPS is cheaper and in my town.

UPS or FedEx for me. I hate the USPS in NJ but I hear they operate reliably in certain areas.
As far as something else getting screwed up while your camera is being serviced, well, there is always that possibility but a competent tech. won't let that happen and will verify to make sure the camera works correctly before sending it back to you.

I had my local camera shop handle everything for me…it probably ran a few extra dollars but I didn't have to do anything.

Strange.. but i just read a post on another forum about a D7100 with AF issues. Nikon fixed it quickly... but.. hmmmm..

I tried to start an internet mob scene with the D90's viewfinder display issue (Google "D90 viewfinder notworking") but nobody believed me then.. with all of Nikons D600/D800 issues i think the D7100 is ripe for some mass panic!!

On a more helpful note.. I haven't had the best of luck with UPS lately (check their Facebook page.. lots of unhappy people). USPS should work fine as long as you box it up nice and safe, pay for the insurance and don't ship it ground :)

I had to send my 7100 back to Nikon for repair. I took about 2 weeks from the time I shipped and got it back. They went completely over the camera and I have not had any problems. Just follow the directions on the web to send it in for repair. I have no complaints about their service.

An update: I sent the camera via USPS on 1/3/2014. Tracking via USPS shows that it was delivered on 1/6/2014. I still have yet to receive an email stating that they have received the package or provide an estimate on what the problems are. Not impressed so far with Nikon customer service.

So soon after Christmas - Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony, et al, are in the same boat.
A lot of hardware started getting used about the same time, and the volume of gear being sent to them increased.

The irony is, a lot of the gear being sent in for repair isn't broken, unlike your's that likely is.
A lot of people can't tell that their issue is user error rather than a hardware defect.
But, Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony still have to check out each piece sent in.

Finally received an email. B2 service repair, FOCUS AF MODE NOT WORKING
CHECK ALL TO GWO

Shipped on 1/3/14
Tracking showed received on 1/6/14
Email received regarding estimate approval on 1/13/14

FWIW, when I sent the D40 (2 years ago) in for the memory card lock replacement, Nikon also upgraded the firmware, cleaned the sensor & tuned the AF at no additional cost. I'll take them over many other companies any day.

It's in the shop now (already?)! Not bad! I wasn't expecting that!

Shipped on 1/3/14
Tracking showed received on 1/6/14
Email received regarding estimate approval on 1/13/14
Status of "shop" 1/14/2014

Most reactions

New Topics

Back