Nikon d7100 AF-mode button doesn't work

It's in the shop now (already?)! Not bad! I wasn't expecting that!

Shipped on 1/3/14
Tracking showed received on 1/6/14
Email received regarding estimate approval on 1/13/14
Status of "shop" 1/14/2014

Awesome!

Nikon should have it as good as new or better. I know in the case of my lens, it turned out like new. I swear they kept my old lens and shipped a new one.

Good news and bad news.

Good news is I got my camera back. Bad news is, now it won't even take pictures. Right out of the box, put a lens on, resent everything to the factory/default settings, and the image came out black. At this point I'm extremely frustrated with Nikon. They claim they checked everything on the list of work done to the camera. If they truly did, they would have noticed pitch black pictures. This is unacceptable. Would be like if I wrote code, didn't test it and put it in production just assuming it would work. Unreal.

Edited to add: ok so it technically takes "pictures", but the image is entirely black, even when the exposure is adjusted properly.

Update: so last night I was playing around with the camera before trying to call Nikon. I kept taking pictures over and over, I'd say probably fifty pictures. Suddenly I started seeing an image, but a really faint one. Then it seemed like the camera was taking a 'double shutter'. Almost like it sounded like it was taking pictures in live view mode. I kept taking pictures, messing with different shutter speeds, manual mode, shutter mode, auto, ect..., and FINALLY the camera was taking pictures just like it use to.

Does anyone have any ideas why this would have happened?? I find it strange. Hopefully it's not a sign of what's to come (not working again). Should I still plan on sending the camera in, or just wait? It will be nice to finally be able to use it again after almost 3 weeks. I'm still not too happy that they sent me the camera in this condition. Obviously they didn't truly test the camera before it's sent out, or else they would have not sent it back to me.

Does anyone have any ideas why this would have happened?? I find it strange. Hopefully it's not a sign of what's to come (not working again). Should I still plan on sending the camera in, or just wait? It will be nice to finally be able to use it again after almost 3 weeks. I'm still not too happy that they sent me the camera in this condition. Obviously they didn't truly test the camera before it's sent out, or else they would have not sent it back to me.

That is very, very strange... If it was me.. I would "shot the crap out of the camera" over the next few days and see what happens. Its going to come down to trusting the camera... or not.

I would either get my money back or sell it while it's still working.

Why haven't you sent it back to Nikon yet with all those pictures of it not properly taking pics? If I had five pics taken with them all being black while in auto mode I would have immediately opened a new ticket with Nikon.

They fixed my 24-120mm F4 with no problems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back