Nikon D750 Or Canon 5D MarkIII

Something important that I'm feeling you're not quit seeing here though is that equipment won't make you a better photographer. That comes with time, patience, and practice. Wanting the "best" won't get you anywhere except having cool gear. The trick with the cool gear? Knowing how to use it. Give someone who know's what their doing a basic camera and lens and you have the best, state of the art gear you can find, including Hassleblad or Leica, and that person with the basic DSLR kit who knows what they're doing will out-perform you.

Just food for thought.

I totally agree with you and I said it few times in the past, people buy expensive gear and then wine the pictures suck and blame the gear.
The truth is you need to invest time and practice and tons of commitment and after some time (to me it too over 2 years) to really start seeing a positive improvement in your pictures.
I found after almost 4 years of very serious approach to photography I still have So much to learn and So much more to improve.

Thanks a lot,
any idea that if at this point I want to spend less on glass, is getting a "Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G Nikkor" good idea? or I should go for 24-70mm f/2.8 ?
the goal is to have a decent glass but at this point spend less and still no compromise.

If it was me I would get the 24-85mm f3.5/4.5 kit lens an add a 50 f1,8 and 85 f1.8, for the price of the 24-70mm. With ISO ability of these new ff cameras f2.8 isn't as critical on a zoom as before (and 24-85 range and weight is better than 24-70), you still can get shallow dof with that 24-85mm lens at longer focal lengths, while the primes will excel in lower light.

You know, now that I think about it, a 24-120 f/4 wouldn't be a terrible option to take for a lens. Sure, it's a bit of a slow lens, but its optical faults are few, especially factoring in the D750's high ISO capabilities. It would also be a bit more flexible than the 24-70, giving you a bit more reach on the telephoto end. You can get it bundled with the D750 and save a little bit. If you'd like, put the extra money towards that 50mm. Even the f/1.8 is decent.

Thanks everybody, in the end I bought the D750 and for now just a 50mm 1.8G Lens since I didn't feel quiet confident that I should buy 24-70 at this point, I'll take my time and will decide later which other lenses I should buy.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot,
any idea that if at this point I want to spend less on glass, is getting a "Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G Nikkor" good idea? or I should go for 24-70mm f/2.8 ?
the goal is to have a decent glass but at this point spend less and still no compromise.
Get the old AF-S f/1.4 D instead of the G, the D is cheaper and better. The G has newer technology which will allow it to "focus silently" but otherwise, I really think the D is flat out better optically.

I was doubting alot between 1.4 and 1.8 also D or G, the reason I chose the 1.8 was that it has better autofocus accuracy and also the G model generally will outperform the D model

Congrats bro, you are going to be really happy with it, take your time and dont rush into buying anything, in time you will know what to get.
If you have any questions you know how to get in touch with me.

Good luck :)

I was doubting alot between 1.4 and 1.8 also D or G, the reason I chose the 1.8 was that it has better autofocus accuracy and also the G model generally will outperform the D model
I don't think the autofocus accuracy is higher on the f/1.8 than the f/1.4, it's that when you miss its more noticeable on the f/1.4 because at f/1.4 there is less depth of field.

I'd generally say that if you don't need silent focus and flare isn't a major issue for you:

f/1.4D>f/1.4G>f/1.8D>f/1.8G

But there isn't that much difference between them.

I'm too late to the party - but in my humble opinion, the most versatile camera out there right now is the D810. The D750 and Canon 5D Mk III are very, very close behind, though.

I'm too late to the party - but in my humble opinion, the most versatile camera out there right now is the D810. The D750 and Canon 5D Mk III are very, very close behind, though.
OP already bought his camera but commenting on your post, the D810 is more of a dedicated tool then the D750 or 5D III
It can do everything the other 2 can do but it does come with a sensor that produces very big files which not everybody needs, bigger and heavier body and price tag to match.
In many ways it is slightly better then the other two but for general use I don't think the extra weight, extra cash and big files are needed.
What I am saying is that yes the D810 is a better camera but I think it is dedicated more to the pro's and studio while the D750 is more for the serious enthusiast who want top of the line performance yet doesn't need all the extras the D810 has.
5D III still a great camera but buying a camera that is going to be replaced soon by an obvious superior camera is (in my eyes) pointless and in some ways it is lagging (a bit) behind the D750 and D810.

The only shortcoming of the D810 and D750 that I am aware of would be the lack of really high fps (10 Hz and better) as the D4s offers it. They still have the autofocus on the level of the D4s (though the D750 has a smaller AF area than D810 and D4s) and can do sports just fine, just not with high fps.

Otherwise the D810 offers a little bit more image quality (36 instead of "just" 24 Megapixel, no AA filter, ISO 64, Shutter Speed 1/8000 sec), while the D750 offers better high ISO and some really useful features (flipscreen, fast access to user configurable setups, builtin WiFi).

So both are extremely versatile and can be used for really anything. Same with the Canon 5D Mark III. The thing that the D810 has before the other two is image quality - which is why its an even more general camera than the other two.

I think the OP asked about the difference between 5d3 and d750. :) Adding in the d810 is serving someone elses want, not the OPs.

Just got the D750 with 50mm, just been trying different settings, So far impressed!
2mnq7tl.jpg

This is not the scenario that'll impress you, you'll be impressed when you start shooting in very low light situations. The results will blow you away if this is the first FF you're using, congratulations, and looking forward to see what you can do with this beast :)

Just got the D750 with 50mm, just been trying different settings, So far impressed!
2mnq7tl.jpg
Nice bro, I do agree with Raj, when shooting in low is where you will be really impressed of course the awesome AF system on it will make you smile too :)
Congrats again, enjoy! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back