Nikon D850 advice needed (wife approval imminent!!!!)

..I swapped my D7100 for a D7500, got myself a sigma 18-35 F1.8. and honestly... I don't think I want to swap anymore xD.
You might consider reversing that swap.

You went from a very good D7100 to the mis-named D"7500" which should have been named the D5700, and a Sigma lens instead of a good lens.

Too bad.

I'm sorry but what is wrong with you??
Have you ever had these in your hands? are you basing yourself on online reviews?
I went from the D7100 to D7500 and there are so many improvements, the only weaker difference is that it only has 1 card slot, and if this the reason you name this a D5700 then you are way off. the D7500 is like a D500 but smaller. I went from a max usable ISO of 3200 to 12800.
8 fps and a awesome buffer.
And the Sigma is like a prime from 18 to 35, I have not heard any one complain about it, the sharpness and bokeh are outstanding.

Your comment is wrong on so many levels and I truly hope you are joking.
And we are here to help Charlie76 with his choice of camera, not to brake down other peoples choice of camera/lenses.

And what do you need all the resolution for? Big prints? you crop a lot?

no cropping. Big prints...sure. My reason for making this jump is purely for image quality, dynamic range, and just pure awesomeness of course;)

Then honestly, GO FOR IT :D
But follow the advice here to maybe go for a refurb or display model for 500$ less.
pick up a 24-70 lens with the money you save.
I honestly never owned a 24-70 (I use DX), but I read many good reviews about the Tamron 70-200 G2.
Ask Derrel for good options! I'm sure he will help (he's awesomely helpful)

My dearest TPF friends,

After months of badgering and manipulation , I have almost convinced my wife to approve a purchase of the almighty D850! I expect to obtain full wifely approval this weekend, possibly place the order today!!!!!!! This is big time Charlie-Christmas/Happy-Birthday-to-me, and an input would be appreciated from my trusted TPF-ers!

Now...before I pull the trigger on this, I feel it's a good idea to ask my peers here on TPF for any feedback or opinions. This camera is mucho-$$$ (by my standards) and is a serious, long-term purchase for me (oh ya, and also my family). I shoot mostly fine art, landscape, rural glory, B&W, some urban stuff, etc.

That said....can anyone offer input on the following 2 very important questions:

1. Is there anything I should know about this camera that isn't obvious? It is massive resolution, full-frame glory! Any bad points (besides the file size and computer power needed for processing)??? ......let us hope nobody answers this one:)

2. (THE BIG ONE!). Lenses! Given the price of the body, Nikon lenses are also very expensive. I do not have wife approval for a lens...so I'll have to think of something. My other lenses are all DX. Any holy cow...the full-frame lenses are big bucks. Can any of my friends here offer suggestions on which lenses I should avoid, and which are good (besides the obvious Nikon)? I'm thinking Sigma, Tamron, Nikon (obviously). Not sure I can afford a Nikon lens at this point...with 5 kids all under the age of 5!!

Thank you to my trusted fellows!

***PS. TPF please bring back the mobile phone app!!!!
Congrats on your impending purchase. It certainly is true that the difference between men and boys (and, arguably women and girls)....is the size of their toys. I've been shooting since the mid 60's, starting on a pentax spotmatic and progressing (from the early 80's) through several Nikons. I'm not an equipment freak and certainly never has N.A.S. (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome). I'm almost an equipment 'minimalist' and not afraid to try new things...sometimes called be a photo-traitor. Just this week I 'jumped ship' and fully embraced SONY mirrorless--toying with SONY alpha series and fully appreciating the 'never even imagined' capabilities of the alpha 6500--and not yet ready to abandon apc format. Well, about 3 days ago I 'pulled the trigger' and went FF mirrorless by getting an A7iii with it's quasi legendary FF 24-70mm f/4. I'm still the proverbial kid in the candystore. Things like EyeAF and Animal EyeAF are unbelievable. Don't spread it around but....in a couple of years photography will require much less tech expertise than during the past 50 years. Thing like compositional skills will be 95% of the craft.

I agree with 95% of what you said about lenses. I go back far enough and had a low enough income 50 years ago that I drooled over Nikon glass and simply accepted that aftermarket was lower quality to match the lower price. At a younger age, I did shoot enough to give my equipment a good workout. Over the years I did witness optical quality of lower priced glass climb to the point where (unless your technique for looking at a photo required the tip of your nose to be actually touching the print) aftermarket glass made as good images as the 'high price spread.' Where aftermarket fell down....decades ago anyway...was that they fell apart physically before name brand glass. The price difference, though, was still large enough to justify purchasing 'off brands.'
Fast forward to today, better manufacturing and competition is mostly led to 'bragging rights' to those with name brand glass. Sure...the resolution/sharpness differences may still be there but an 11x14 pic, viewed at normal distance makes the optical difference between oem and non-oem more fantasy than real. And unless you lean on your equipment like a pro, build quality difference isnt that great.

Good luck on your impending purchase.

Last edited:
I shoot the D850 with just three lenses: 200-500 for wildlife, Tokina 17-35 f/4 for wide angle and the nikkor 24-120 for a great walk around lens. I sold my D500 for the same reasons others are suggesting as to having more bodies than one needs. I find the 47MP perhaps a bit of overkill until I shoot a small bird at 30-45 ft in flight and then it all makes sense, but moreover, the added features found in the D850 like focus stacking, multiple exposure, etc are just too good to pass up. However, that said, I'd be tempted to go the 750 route and spend more on a good lens or two.

Some good folks on here and great perspectives. Much appreciated, all the info guys.

Yup...I ordered the 850.....plus....

wide angle and the nikkor 24-120 for a great walk around lens.

just ordered this lens...it looks like it’ll be my all-purpose! .... side note: the wife doesn’t know about the lens order muuaaahhahaha!

So.....

As stated above, I ordered the 24–120 lens...in clear violation of the husband-wife finance law.

After dinner she says, “I think you should get a lens with that camera. It would be silly to get a nice new camera with no [full frame] lens!”

I say, “I agree completely.”

;)

You really need the BEST glass to get the benefit from that sensor!

Very true.

Maybe this will help. When I was a kid I did amateur radio. As a kid, I thought to boost the gain on a receiver I could just put a pre-amp on it. An old timer wisely pointed out that this approach would only amplify the static and that I would be better investing in a better antenna. Sage advice.

Good luck with the camera and lens. Do yourself a favor and spend time in the beginning getting a good portrait of her alone and with you and her and getting enlargements and frame them and give them to her as a gift. :)

Very nice, sir. Very nice. I think I will take that advice. Thanks!

Take photos of whatever she likes. Flowers, dolls, grandchildren, those are the things my wife likes, so I am sure to spend some time making photos of those subjects and give them to her on email so she can forward them to her sisters.

Take photos of whatever she likes. Flowers, dolls, grandchildren, those are the things my wife likes, so I am sure to spend some time making photos of those subjects and give them to her on email so she can forward them to her sisters.

That is very good advice, and I must say, very sweet. Your wife sounds like a very lucky lady. Furthermore, I will take that advice. Her favorite subject is a no-brainer: the kids. Five total, all 5 yrs and younger. Adorable, every one. Like a litter of puppies. Henry is the oldest, and that poor guy has 4 younger sisters

10D6FADF-5BFD-486D-86AA-BBD01DA61B71.png

That is very good advice, and I must say, very sweet. Your wife sounds like a very lucky lady. Furthermore, I will take that advice. Her favorite subject is a no-brainer: the kids. Five total, all 5 yrs and younger. Adorable, every one. Like a litter of puppies. Henry is the oldest, and that poor guy has 4 younger sisters

View attachment 192253

Cute kids. Five in five years! How do you find time for photography? :)

[
Cute kids. Five in five years! How do you find time for photography? :)

Funny you should say that. Your point is valid and, in my/our case, true! I haven't taken more than a handful of photos in the past 4-5 years due to those little rug rats. Every time I saw the camera or open Lightroom (for nostalgic purposes) I would die a little on the inside. I almost thought my photography was a sacrifice I would have to make for family!! However, a month or two ago I had enough! So I am back at it, and the wife approved the camera and two lenses. So you should be seeing me on here very often...especially with this new setup! I love FPF and appreciate all the professionals who contribute, and the serious hobbyists like myself. I could swear that the community has slimmed down a bit since I was here last 4-5 years ago which is a little discouraging, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm sure she thought of all the photos your going to take off the kids when she ok'd the camera. If you haven't gotten the camera yet, consider one that has an articulating led screen so you can hold the camera low to make it easier to get down to the kids level to take shots there. They'll be more intimate than shouting from higher up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back