Nikon or Sigma 1.4 lens?

ryan7783

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Will be used for shooting bands in poorly lit venues.

I'd really like to have between 28-35mm for focal range but the only 1.4 lens that will work in that range is the Sigma 30mm 1.4 ($439)

On the other hand, I like the feeling of knowing I'm shooting a Nikon brand lens...the only thing is that the lowest Nikon 1.4 lens within my price range is the 50mm ($470)

I guess my question is - Am I being too anal about shooting a Nikon lens? Is the Sigma just as capable during heavy use or is it going to crap out on me after a few months?

If its for concerts, I would splurge on the nikon. Most likely it will have better build and sealing. If it were just portrait work I would say you would probably be fine with either but doing concert photography myself, I know how much camera's can get knocked around, bumped into, have water/beer spilled on, and its nice if you happen to have it happen to know that your equipment will still function.

If its for concerts, I would splurge on the nikon. Most likely it will have better build and sealing. If it were just portrait work I would say you would probably be fine with either but doing concert photography myself, I know how much camera's can get knocked around, bumped into, have water/beer spilled on, and its nice if you happen to have it happen to know that your equipment will still function.

good point but the Nikon 28 1.4 is nearly $1700 where the Sigma 30 1.4 is $439 - I'll have insurance on the lens either way and it's not like shooting bands is my sole income. I think I'm going to go for the Sigma.

What lens do you use when you do shows?

If I were you id save some money and get the nikon 50mm 1.8 for 130.00. I shoot bands quite often and just got one and it works great. By the way - the sigma lens probably came from the same factory as the nikon lol.

If I were you id save some money and get the nikon 50mm 1.8 for 130.00. I shoot bands quite often and just got one and it works great. By the way - the sigma lens probably came from the same factory as the nikon lol.

I just sold the 50mm 1.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back