nikonD80 orD200 for Noob??

although i don't have any of them (can't afford them yet), I do have studied both thoroughly -just for when i get the money.

my conclusion is: if money really matters, get a D40; otherwise, save a little longer and go for the D200. and this for 3 reasons:

1st. there will likely arrive the day in which you will benefite from the advantages that the D200 has over the D80 -surely not today, not tomorrow, but it will. And the d200, not being plastic as the d80 is, will more likely "wait" for the day. And nowadays, I think that digital photography has already reached the stage in which you can expend money on a camera and expect to use it for several (even many) years -so that you don't throw away the money.

2nd. this is actually my only definitive reason: the d200 will work with any nikon lens. try one of the older (and R-E-A-L-L-Y nice) MF lenses, for example, in the d80 and prepare not to have meter readings, etc! what!!??!! In other words, the d80 (and this goes to the d40, d50, and d70 as well) is intended exclusively for newcomers (regardless the fact that you can take a lot out of them), those who have never owned a film SLR before and just want to buy an incredibly expensive digital toy. Well, if you are one of these, and don't plan to ever buy anything but last-model lenses, then no doubt go for the d80 -as a matter of fact, in such case I would recommend the tinny and cheaper d40.

3rd. personnal reason: i know this is not really a reason, but i can't stand cameras with silly and useless program modes: portraits, landscapes, etc. Who the hell is willing to spend 1000€ in a good reflex without the minimun notions of photography, which would justify these programs? To me, these are like a sticky in the camera that says: not a serious camera!

p.s. and i have nothing against non-serious cameras, "point and shoot" ones, of course. but i would never spend THAT money in one of them!!!

panocho makes some good points.

There is another option. Nikon D100. It has the seriousness and ruggedness of the D200, but is an older model. As we all know, that doesn't mean it isn't just as good, it just means it is no longer state-of-the-art. It is a 6 MP model and has a smaller LCD. (2"?)

They are going for relatively cheap on ebay these days. It is something to think about, if you want the professional build quality and lens compatibility but don't necessarily need the 10 MP and 2.5" LCD.

I will be using it with nikon 18-70 and 70-300 glass I know this it not the best glass out there but once it get my technique down I will upgrade to higher thanks

Once you get your technique down, you'll upgrade the glass but you are considering a pro body now? Sorry.. really sounds backwards to me.

D80 and put the money towards glass. Don't fall into the train of thought that you need a pro body to take good pictures. I've met pros shooting with much less than some of us are shooting vacation pictures.

Or better yet... get something cheaper even used and put the money into glass.

Once you get your technique down, you'll upgrade the glass but you are considering a pro body now? Sorry.. really sounds backwards to me.
Or better yet... get something cheaper even used and put the money into glass.

i second this.

my opinion was (sorry about this) in general -and only about the dilemma between d80 and d200.
now, for a particular case like this i'd go, as i said, for the d40 (or a d50, probably even cheaper now that the d40 is out?) : cheaper, incredibly lighter and smaller and still a SLR, which would allow you not only to do a few more things to try to control the results but also to learn more. and what is more, it will let you get basically the same as the d80

All cameras from the D40 to the D2X have an auto mode it's called "Program" and most DSLRs will tell you every setting on your camera when you shot the picture this data is attached to the image file so this should not be a concern. If money is a concern yes go with the D80 but if you can afford it and justify it to yourself especially if you may upgrade later why not go with a camera now that you can grow into rather than a camera you may grow out of and want to upgrade later.

thanks...what i meant though is that the auto mode is really a great option for a beginner as i believe it differs from program mode. auto turns the SLR into a P&S camera. it's nice to fall back on when someone else uses the camera or you just can't get a shot in manual mode.

Program mode is auto, only you decide if you should use the flash or not, and you decide how bright you want the pic. the shutter and aperture are set automatically to give you an exposure of your liking. want it to be a little dark? Just turn the wheel down bit.
Don't want to use flash? Don't pop it up (auto does if it feels it's too dark, hell flash pops up even in pretty bright situations). Want flash? Push the little lightening button.

wow great info guy/gals
I decided to go with :
the D80
18-70
70-300
I feel that this is a well rounded starter setup that could last for a few years . as my skills grow and I decided what type of photog I am most interested in I can upgrade from there.
thanks everyone your input was very much welcome!
Devananda

good choice. i held the D200 tonight and i was very tempted to return the D80. however, i am NOT a pro photographer and neither is my wife...or my friends. i might not be a pro, but there is one thing that is certain...the D80 is 99% a D200 with the added bonus of P&S features for NooBs and this is also great when you hand the camera to random other people and ask them to take a pic of you...the D80 has the same MP, sensor, AF system, metering, etc. obviously, i am not the best person to give advice yet, but from all the research i have done, the D80 is simply a great camera.

Most reactions

Back