Not sure what camera to get..so confused!

bellaPictures

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bellapictures.com.au
Ive got nikon f90 and have 50mm, 180mm, and 85mm lenses for them. Now i want to switch to digital and was thinking of the Canon EOS 20D or should i just stick to Nikon and get the D70S...please give me some advise..

thanks

I have the nikon d70. Its a great camera, and although it is not up to par with the canon 20D on a few features, the two of them are always compared to each other in practically every review I've read.

If you're in the nikon system, I would stick to nikon (if not, sell me your lenses, haha!) No, seriously, I think both companies make great dslr cameras, but you may like the feel of the nikon and navigating the menus a bit more with the d70. I tried out the 20d and I wasn't comfortable making the switch--Im too used to playing with nikon gear.

Both cameras will make excellent photos, no doubt about it. I am using about 10% of my nikon d70 right now. I love it, but it will take me awhile to be able to use it to its full potential.

Nikon may have something up their sleeve along the lines of a d200, which will directly compete with the Canon 20D and improve upon many of its features. People have been waiting for this "d200" for quite some time, although nikon has officially said nothing about it. But in the meanwhile, I would purchase a nikon d70, not d70s unless you need the larger LCD screen. Or you could get a cheaper d50, but I wouldnt.

The d70 with firmware upgrade acts the same as a d70s.

Good luck!
Craig

Get the canon.. I am.. lol.. But like catewhoo said if all your previous film camera gear works with the D70, Id be inclined to get that. Im startiing from scratch so Im choosing the 20D.

the d70 doesn't come close in comparison to the 20d!
i just switched over from the nikon to the canon...i'm happy :D was a very tough decision, just because i was so hung up on Nikon.. im glad i went canon for the digital..
even though its the 350d and not the 20d.. it is still canon and i love my L series lens.. its sharp sharp sharp and a lil white beauty!

I'm a Canon user and love my 20D....but if you have Nikon gear, stick with a Nikon. I guess if you are going to switch systems, the sooner the better...but it would cost you to replace those three lenses in a Canon system.

There are plenty of D70 users here, and they all seem to love it.

I guess it's a personal choice. I personally would stick with Nikon... then again, I own a D70. :D I've read that you can actually buy an adaptor that allows you to fit Nikon lenses on Canon cameras with full functionality; something to think about...

I have the D70, one of my employees has the Canon Digital Rebel XT (also called the 350d). Both seem to be about the same as far as ease to use and power to shoot just about any thing. We looked at the 20D, it seems to have a few more bells and whistles.....

Id say stick with the nikon, or get the one on sale :)

I don't know the details of nikon lenses, if they are autofocus and work on D70, then get that...

If they are manual focus, then get 20D for sure. You'll still be able to use them and you'll be able to meter too.

I would stick with Nikon for sure. (This isn't a brand bias, I have a 7NE and a 10D) There is no point buying new lenses just to get a feature or two you like on the Canon. Your lenses are a great investment and once you go digital, they are the only component you won't have to replace every 18 months.

I shoot with both the 10D and the D70. Both are great cameras so if you already have lenses for the Nikon I would stay with it. As for lens quality, both Nikon and Canon make some awesome glass.

I usually do not get in to Nikon vs Canon topics, since it has a stark resemblance to Ford vs GM or Pepsi vs Coke debates ;). Personal preferance controls the game here.

Just wanted to let you know that George Weir, who is a high end wedding photographer from Pennsylvania is dumping all his Nikon (3 d70's) and Leica gear for 3 20D's for his pro wedding work.

But I will agree with Big Mike here...
if you have Nikon gear, stick with a Nikon. I guess if you are going to switch systems, the sooner the better...but it would cost you to replace those three lenses in a Canon system.

Good luck with your selection and looking forward to your active presence in the Photo Gallery and/or Critique section. :thumbup:

Cheerio! :)

danalec99 said:
I usually do not get in to Nikon vs Canon topics, since it has a stark resemblance to Ford vs GM or Pepsi vs Coke debates ;).
[...]
Just wanted to let you know that George Weir, who is a high end wedding photographer from Pennsylvania is dumping all his Nikon (3 d70's) and Leica gear for 3 20D's for his pro wedding work.
Cheerio! :)

First of all, Pepsi sucks! :lol: Secondly, could you point this George Weir fellow in my general direction. I'll gladly let him dump that equipment on me! :wink:

spiralout said:
First of all, Pepsi sucks! :lol: Secondly, could you point this George Weir fellow in my general direction. I'll gladly let him dump that equipment on me! :wink:
All that is left off his Nikon gear is the 18-70mm kit lens. The Leica stuff is still pending. You could get his email from his site or 717-538-0635.

How could you like Coke? :puke-rig: :lol:

Most reactions

Back