oh... hm... I need a bit of encouragement ...

You're an OUTSTANDING PHOTOGRAPHER Marija. Just get involved and get the experience dealing with it. You'll find that you are far better than you give yourself credit for.

As far as getting into exhibitions, go to a few and feel things out. I think you'll do an amazing job.

No I'm not but you like to give compliments :)

so.. hm... just do it!?

That simple!?

The question is why are you afraid of showing people your work?
I'm not afraid showing it to "people"... I'm afraid to show it to the photographers who won numerous awards and have 30+ years of experience.
... because their opinion worth more than opinion of people who aren't into photography and don't understand it.

Ok... I just want to say a big fat THANK YOU ALL for doing this for me!

It really really helps because you made me think more and made me come to some conclusions that'll help me.

I'll go now and give you a big fat like :D

I really appreciate your support

There are a number that would look good in print, but a few of my choices are:

"Going into the water"
"Marija Smanja Portrait"
Marija Smanja Boudoir" (The overhead of the dark-haired lady holding her hand to the side of her face)
"Diesel"
"Years"

You're an OUTSTANDING PHOTOGRAPHER Marija. Just get involved and get the experience dealing with it. You'll find that you are far better than you give yourself credit for.

As far as getting into exhibitions, go to a few and feel things out. I think you'll do an amazing job.

so.. hm... just do it!?

That simple!?

Yup! that simple.

I'm not afraid showing it to "people"... I'm afraid to show it to the photographers who won numerous awards and have 30+ years of experience.
... because their opinion worth more than opinion of people who aren't into photography and don't understand it.

IMHO, opinion is just that an opinion. You'll just take what works for you and leave the rest out. Because someone has 30+ years of experience, it doesn't automatically make his/her opinion is right for you. Because someone has won many awards, it doesn't automatically make his/her opinion right for you either. That is obviously just my opinion and it may or may not be right for you. :D

Whether you have experience or not there is the desire to communicate on a level that is beyond the details, that gets into answers to why. I don't go trying to talk about my hobbies in another language, but since I am learning and interacting in spanish regularly I understand not having a perfect grasp on how to say things and how that can completely derail your desire to communicate at the level you wish to.

My take is that you might explain that your photography jargon familiarity is in another language than the one they use and see how that is responded to. They either will accommodate you and attempt to understand or they won't and you can choose what to do at that point. You might find that some do and some don't, or that some continue to make that effort and others loose interest. But you don't know until you try.

But put the issue of language familiarity out there, you never know one of them might be able to talk with you in language you know.

Now I get what you're talking about, a juried exhibit. Here a club usually meets once a month, has a program/speaker; the club may hold competitions, photo walks or other events.

I've done submissions to juried exhibits, that's what this seems like. I've gotten some photos accepted and some didn't. I just keep trying. It seems to depend on the number of submissions, the juror(s), how well your photo fits into their competition or theme, etc. etc.

I saw an interview with a quilt judge (obviously not photography related, but she judged exhibits) who said sometimes a work may not be accepted not because it isn't good enough, but because the juror(s) have to think about how everything will look displayed together, if the show will be cohesive, so choices are made with that in mind.

Sounds like going to their upcoming event will give you an idea what type photos they accept and display, and give you an opportunity to meet and chat with their experienced photographers. I'd look at it as a learning opportunity - be a sponge and soak it all in.

Here are a couple that I've had photos accepted into if it would help to see what's done here. Send me a message if you have questions.
LightBox Photographic Gallery & Fine Printing | Astoria, Oregon
7th Annual International Juried Plastic Camera Show
These are smaller galleries/competitions; on an international scale with a large exhibition there may be a lot of entries so they may only accept a small percentage. So be prepared that yours may not be accepted - this time; doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to get photo(s) into an exhibit in the future.

Last edited:
Marija, you go excellent work. You've got the eye. Take your work that you have on Flickr and print a few - mainly to understand how the printed image will look. You have enough to put together a theme. When I originally joined my local camera club, I felt very intimidated at the beginning. There were people there with so much experience, so much good gear! And then, looking that the images in the competitions - I found that the range of ability was very wide. Certainly some images were breath-takingly beautiful. But so many more were "pretty" but rather conventional and formulaic. So many were trying to imitate other images that they saw and admired. When I put my images up in the competitions, they actually were somewhere in the middle of the pack - not the best, but certainly not the worse either. I would say your eye is actually better than mine, and your processing skills are better as well. Put on your brave face, print some of your images and share them. Remember, the only things they can give you are their opinions.

You ARE a photographer. You don't need to convince anyone of that. You do want to share and learn. That's what it is all about.
awww Paul ... just.... just... :icon_hug:

Would you pls, take the time and suggest what I could print?

Here are some I really love:

I don't like flickr's sharpening
I was fascinated by her hands... I just had to take a few shots of them
nature and wildlife, my way ;)
Jimmy Choo
girl on the bench

It shows a rather wide range of abilities and sensitivity.

If you are going to put your work into a juried show, you obviously need to know what the overall theme or intent is of the show. But if you are going to meet photographers and talk shop, then the images you've got should be good to show your range and skills.

There are a number that would look good in print, but a few of my choices are:

"Going into the water"
"Marija Smanja Portrait"
Marija Smanja Boudoir" (The overhead of the dark-haired lady holding her hand to the side of her face)
"Diesel"
"Years"
thank you!

so.. hm... just do it!?

That simple!?

Yup! that simple.
we'll see :)

IMHO, opinion is just that an opinion. You'll just take what works for you and leave the rest out. Because someone has 30+ years of experience, it doesn't automatically make his/her opinion is right for you. Because someone has won many awards, it doesn't automatically make his/her opinion right for you either. That is obviously just my opinion and it may or may not be right for you. :D
Oh, really good logic. Makes perfectly sense and I really needed to hear something like this.

Thank you!

Whether you have experience or not there is the desire to communicate on a level that is beyond the details, that gets into answers to why. I don't go trying to talk about my hobbies in another language, but since I am learning and interacting in spanish regularly I understand not having a perfect grasp on how to say things and how that can completely derail your desire to communicate at the level you wish to.

My take is that you might explain that your photography jargon familiarity is in another language than the one they use and see how that is responded to. They either will accommodate you and attempt to understand or they won't and you can choose what to do at that point. You might find that some do and some don't, or that some continue to make that effort and others loose interest. But you don't know until you try.

But put the issue of language familiarity out there, you never know one of them might be able to talk with you in language you know.
Thank you for stepping in :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back