Oil spots on the D600 sensor anyone ?

brendagallant1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Took some pics last night and sure enough it looks like specs of oil on the sensor :((

I wouldn't be surprised, it has the same shutter mechanism as the D7000.

TonysTouch said:

Grrrrr. Madening. Will check fr the shop i got it fr Tmw. :(

Are you SURE these spots are "oil spots", Brenda, and not just regular dust spots???

I could add it to my collection of oily gear, if you like.

My D7000 had the same prob and spent months in the shop before Nikon got of of it (back-order parts)

Derrel said:
Are you SURE these spots are "oil spots", Brenda, and not just regular dust spots???

Well it looks like oil. Dark spots with a lighter edge But good news great service where i got the camera. They will exchange it. He said dust would not be acceptable either so im happy coz i love the D600 :)

Well, i had the same problem with my d7000 last year...nikon after 2 visits changed the shutter system and the sensor...problem solved...but now I got the nikon D600 and just starting i got oil spots in my pictures right away...then I exchanged the camera for a new one...guess what...same problem with the difference that this time is a combination of oil spots and dirt...i can take care about dirt, but oil spots going and back after clean sensor,,..so i decided to deal with Nikon in El Segundo California,,at this point return the camera to get another one with the same issues is basically luck...and I don't feel lucky this time...so will see...is important to let you know that the problem is real and its happening....some people says that is just dust but, is not always like that, you can deal with dust, that is normal...but oil spots from the shutter system is another history,,believe me i know the what is dist and what is oil spots....until now only i can say that it will not a surprise if Nikon put the defective shutter system of the D7000 in the 2100 dollars camera now...just to save costs...what a shame....I shoot around ~15000 to 20000 shot every year and the problem with nikon cameras is something that is make feel very upset..is like the are assembling the cameras while they are eating lunch or playing ball...quality control is just a joke for Nikon....

Derrel said:

Well it looks like oil. Dark spots with a lighter edge But good news great service where i got the camera. They will exchange it. He said dust would not be acceptable either so im happy coz i love the D600 :)

Nice!

einhander17 said:
Well, i had the same problem with my d7000 last year...nikon after 2 visits changed the shutter system and the sensor...problem solved...but now I got the nikon D600 and just starting i got oil spots in my pictures right away...then I exchanged the camera for a new one...guess what...same problem with the difference that this time is a combination of oil spots and dirt...i can take care about dirt, but oil spots going and back after clean sensor,,..so i decided to deal with Nikon in El Segundo California,,at this point return the camera to get another one with the same issues is basically luck...and I don't feel lucky this time...so will see...is important to let you know that the problem is real and its happening....some people says that is just dust but, is not always like that, you can deal with dust, that is normal...but oil spots from the shutter system is another history,,believe me i know the what is dist and what is oil spots....until now only i can say that it will not a surprise if Nikon put the defective shutter system of the D7000 in the 2100 dollars camera now...just to save costs...what a shame....I shoot around ~15000 to 20000 shot every year and the problem with nikon cameras is something that is make feel very upset..is like the are assembling the cameras while they are eating lunch or playing ball...quality control is just a joke for Nikon....

I understand your frustration very well ! Im not sure how to deal with this. I just want a working camera. And dont want to deal with spots of any kind on my sensor that i didnt put there in the first place. A maddening situation ! 2k is a big deal for me It s hard enough taking the perfect shot without the camera scraping the pic for you. I will discuss this with them before i accept a replacement. The D600 is such a good camera minus this !

einhander17 said:

I understand your frustration very well ! Im not sure how to deal with this. I just want a working camera. And dont want to deal with spots of any kind on my sensor that i didnt put there in the first place. A maddening situation ! 2k is a big deal for me It s hard enough taking the perfect shot without the camera scraping the pic for you. I will discuss this with them before i accept a replacement. The D600 is such a good camera minus this !

Yes..i totally agree with you..well they cleaned the sensor and checked, they shipped the camera to me and will arrive tomorrow..i did warning them about this issue and i don't want to play the game of going and back.....i have a Sony a77, D90, D7000 and never got oil spots or bries in the sensor (except for the case of d7000 last year)..not even once..after they solved the problem last year with my d7000...everytning is fine...now i expect that Nikon made right not only for me...for all the people that make the effort to spend 2100 dollars an a camera that works properly, without malfunctions....is too much to ask?

Not starting a war, but this is why I like Canon. In my hands their DSLR's seem more built to last IMHO

brendagallant1 said:

You better give up on digital if you dont want to be cleaning your sensor every photographer should be able to clean their camera

swiftparkour94 said:
Not starting a war, but this is why I like Canon. In my hands their DSLR's seem more built to last IMHO

Im a Canon shooter but this has nothing to do with build quality just too much lube

Most reactions

New Topics

Back