Opinions and helpful advice please

meanyp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, newbie here. Any advice and critique would be welcome. I took this last week. It is of the Cheesewring in Cornwall.
$20120808_0518.jpg

back up some to give us some perspective on how big or little these boulders-rocks-stones-pebbles are. It's dark.

Interesting photo. I like how my eyes follow the smaller rocks up to the largest. I also agree though, a bit dark.

I think it is a pretty good image! I would clone out the lines/wires/fence-thing on the bottom right, and crop a little more on the RHS and top. The composition is slightly out of balance. But I totally dig the subject..I may increase the contrast a bit..or see if I could get more detail out of the surface of the stones. All-in-all....good job!

Your also kind of chopping one of the lower boulders on the LHS..I would prefer to see the edge of that stone. The chop steals the eye when you look at the lower portion, and shoots it out of the scene.

You may also consider other tilts on this image. Also, may want to crop some of the ground off. The ground is the least interesting part of the image IMO

MLeeK said:
back up some to give us some perspective on how big or little these boulders-rocks-stones-pebbles are. It's dark.

agreed

I like the way it looms. The relatively dark image helps with that looming impression. It might be a good idea to emphasize this, darken a bit more?

The blank sky could be nice, giving ambiguity to the scene, but then I think taking out the wires and roofline bottom right would be a good idea as charlie suggests. An alternate approach would be to wait for some more interesting cloud (or emphasize what's there more), and pull back very very slightly to put it in a little bit of context without losing the bigness, the looming-ness. You might also try getting lower and looking more up, to emphasize the looming-ness more with the angle of view.

It's 32 feet high, according to wikipedia.

Not sure I could add much to what has been said, I think the subject matter is very interesting , I need to know however Did you have help stacking the rocks?

I like it framed as is - it has everything it needs and not much it doesn't. The scale isn't important to me. It is a little dark, but I think it's just the shadows that need more detail. I wouldn't lighten it overall. There are a couple of light spots along the bottom that could be cropped out; this would also be consistent with the tight framing elsewhere.

Great first post. I really can't add to the advice people have already given. So I will just say
smiley-signs046.gif

Nice photo! It's cropped a bit tightly, and the aforementioned wires can be cloned out, but it's very sound otherwise.

I just had to know, so I went to Wikipedia:

The name derives from the resemblance of the piled slabs to a "cheesewring", a press-like device that was once used to make cheese.

Most reactions

Back