Opinions on Nikon 50 mm f/1.4 lenses?

docphysics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have either or both of these lenses?

Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF D or
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F/1.4G Autofocus Lens

Any pluses or minuses, or advantages or disadvantages to either? I am new to the DSLR game and I am trying to figure out which one to buy. Thanks!

I've done a lot of research on both the Nikkor 50m F/1.4 and the Sigma 50m F/1.4 and I ended up buying the Sigma. I know several people that bought both... all sold the Nikkor lenses and kept the Sigmas.

To say I love my Sigma 50 is an understatement... I currently use it more than any other lens in my kit (and I have a good 10-12 lenses there, most of which are pro level quality).

For a DX camera, though, I would highly recommend the Sigma 30mm F/1.4, an awesome lens.

I have used both 50mm lenses from Nikon. The 1.4 is the only lens I have at the moment, until I can save for more pro glass.

The sigma might be 'comparable'. But I sure as hell would never trade or sell my nikon for a sigma. But, that's just me.

which lens do you have, the AF D or the Nikkor?

The Nikon is good, no doubt... the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 is a little better, and a little cheaper.

I have the Nikkor 50mm, 1:1.4 D and it is a great night photo lens. I think you would be happy with all of them mentioned above. I just prefer a non "G" lens because I sometimes shoot completely manual. ("G" lens means no aperture control). Craig

Does anyone have either or both of these lenses?

Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF D or
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F/1.4G Autofocus Lens

Any pluses or minuses, or advantages or disadvantages to either? I am new to the DSLR game and I am trying to figure out which one to buy. Thanks!

I own the 50mm f/1.4D version and it's excellent. Optically the two versions are almost identical, according to Photozone.de tests. If it were me I would get the D version unless I had a body that required AF-S lenses for autofocus.

The Nikon is good, no doubt... the Sigma 50mm F/1.4 is a little better, and a little cheaper.

Are you talking about this Sigma 50mm f/1.4? That sells for a full $200 more than what I paid for my Nikon 50mm f/1.4D just last August.

I have the Nikkor 50mm, 1:1.4 D and it is a great night photo lens. I think you would be happy with all of them mentioned above. I just prefer a non "G" lens because I sometimes shoot completely manual. ("G" lens means no aperture control). Craig

Agree with that. Not a fan of g lenses. Also the 1.8 is a fantastic lens, especaily when you consider the price.

Most reactions

Back