overexposure on snow, how do I fix?

redneckdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm having some problems with my scene shots involving snow. The snow is over exposed, how do I fix this? Do I close the apeture one stop ie f8 to f11? here is one pic in question.

cemetary_snowy1.jpg

Well if the detail is lost due to being blown out not much you can do to get it back. However in future shots I find the easiest way to keep snow detail is spot meter the snow then open up 1.5-2stops more (often 2 stops is JUST barely too much). The meter makes the snow grey so opening up a bit makes it white but still keeps the detail.

so I actually need to open up the apeture instead of closing it? say I spot meter the snow at f/16, i need to go to f/8 or f/5.6? thanks.

Yep. If you meter the snow then it makes it darker then it should be. You then open up a stop or so to add more light and make the snow whiter. Just don't open up more then 2 stops or you will most likely blow it out and have no detail.

What type of camera/media are you using?

They are correct about metering the snow and then opening up a stop or so...but your shot is over exposed, not underexposed.

You might be able to help the photo along by choosing a time of day when the light is slanting across the snow. This will accentuate the details.

my gear is:
pentax k1000
stock 50mm f/2.82 lens
fuji super hd and superia ISO 100

i'm also going to start keeping a log of the settings of every frame I take, i can't remember what the setting were for these pics. I'm pretty sure I opened up the apeture at least two stops from the metering of that pic, but I metered off the whole pic, not spot metering off the snow. I'm gonna go try some more pics in that field this afternoon when the sun sets, its a clear day so I should get some neat lighting.

Where did you have the film developed?

Most of the time, at the lab...the machine or the monkey running it will try to correct for metering mistakes or whatever. That's why most snap shooters have no idea about what the camera's meter is doing.

The typical snow shot would be underexposed, because the meter is going for 18% grey...so it's probably standard that the lab would make the prints a stop or two brighter...hence your over exposed shots.

You could ask to have the shots reprinted (a good lab should do it for free)...or take the negs to a better lab.

i had the film developed at walmart, they send it out to a lab. there is a section on the fim envelope where it asks if there are any special instructions. Is they any notes I can write there to ask them not to try and exposure compensate?

i just got off the phone with the tech at walmart and she said that at the lab they send the film to for devloping, there is no tech at the machine adjusting exposure and the machine does not automaticly correct by itself. So I guess that means there is no exposure correction going on beyond what I do with my camera.

I would just take the negs to a good lab and ask them to make some prints for you. Or at least see what they can do.

I stopped taking my film to Wal-mart a long time ago.

interesting and informative :)

I wish I had a smilie eating popcorn around here... lots to learn

ceres said:
interesting and informative :)

I wish I had a smilie eating popcorn around here... lots to learn

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

What I usually do in bright situations, such as snow, is use the backlight control button, if your camera has one. Basically it opens the lens up a stop or two more, which is what you're already doing manually. :)

Big Mike said:
I would just take the negs to a good lab and ask them to make some prints for you. Or at least see what they can do.

I stopped taking my film to Wal-mart a long time ago.

can anyone recommend a good lab in the houghton, mi area? what about a mail order type lab?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back