Panorama how-to

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ::trainwreck::, Nov 4, 2009.

1. ::trainwreck::

::trainwreck:: TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can anyone give me a good refence on how to do Panoramas? I want to try doing some, but I'm not sure how to go about doing them.

2. battletone

battletone TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    google

3. boogschd

boogschd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  4. Rekd

Rekd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hugin is a great (free) program for making panoramas. You'll have to google it, I'm not digging up the link.

Yesterday I made this (be careful, 42 megs, 98 inches wide) from 18 images that were over 5000 pixels wide each. Took less than half an hour and the only places I could tell it was stitched together was a slight shading difference in the sky where I shot at a wider angle to eliminate a person.

The trick to a smooth pano is to take the shots at about 20 degree increments (overlap the shots by 1/3 on each rotation). That way the program has more to reference from the previous image.

Good luck.

5. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, that is really impressive! Only 18 images? What was your technique to getting the detail! It's incredible! I did a downtown city shot and zoomed in to 135mm and just shot like a normal panorama. I think it was about 85 images. I could probably see someone with Spandex fart.

Wish I could show it. I think it's about 2GB worth of data - took about a month to get just right

~Michael~

6. Rekd

Rekd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks.

All I did was stand there and take pictures with my 7D in a circle.

7. patrickt

patrickt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I enjoy taking panoramas at an archeological site here. Tripods are not allowed. For panoramas, a tripod is nice because it helps you keep the horizon level. When I'm not using a tripod I shoot in portrait orientation so I have more room to crop at the top and botton.

If my exposure will be fairly consistent, I just shoot. If the exposure is going to change in the middle of the panorama I set the exposure and use the same exposure on all shots. At times, I'll do the series both ways and see which works best. Digital is cheap.

I discovered ICE, a free panorama program from Microsoft, and it works great for me.

I was taking shots at Monte Alban from the top of a pyramid and when I looked at the finished shot there was something wrong. It took me a moment to put my finger on the problem. Aha! I had a teenaged boy in a bright red sweater who had been running across the field and he appeared three times in the photo.