Paying my dues or something else?

To be honest, if your not happy, Express your concerns, explain why you feel un-fairly treated (the other interns get the experience whilst your working)

I have no idea what the expectation or culture is like down there, but to me, this seems like a scam to get some unpaid grunt-work done using the false lure of an internship.

If I were in your position, I'd be telling them that I was there to gain experience as a photographer, not as a bus-boy, maid or rent-a-cop; and if that wasn't going to change, then good-bye. I doubt they'll care anyway, they'll just lure in some other sucker.

If I where looking for some sort of internship, I'd gladly be a roadie and assistant for a photographer or lighting crew for no pay in exchange for a free learning experience. Internship goes both ways: the professional gets some free help with equipment hauling, setup and takedown in exchange for letting the intern follow him everywhere. The intern get some free learning and experience in exchange for some manual labour.

Seriously, find someone who won't treat you like expendable dirt, this is an insulting waste of time.

Sounds like a free labor thing to me or, you have dropped into a clique' and, that is all you will ever be. This especially sounds true of others came in later than you and, are actually interning. More than likely friends with someone, which is why they arent doing the menial work.

I thought for an internship to be legal it needed to put the person in a position to learn or else it was just free labor making it illegal? I know for a fact I can't call up the art school here and have them send me a student to clean my studio 10 hours a week and call them an intern. Have you considered skipping this intern stuff and just going out and looking for work as a paid assistant?

If you really want to learn something you may consider finding something with a smaller crew.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back