Paypal,Is it safe?!!

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by chris82, Oct 3, 2006.

1. chris82

chris82 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    In my search for a better camera I have been directed to ebay.My question is "Is paying by paypal safe and is there any risks?Please let me know.Thanks.

2. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There are always risks when you send financial information over the net. I have been using paypal for about five years with no problems but...

I hear the horror stories and I get the phony emails now and then. Paypal itself is secure in my opinion but there are people out there constantly trying to get your information to use themselves. These computer thieves are pretty good at making it appear that they are ligitiment.

I recommend paypal to my family with the additional advice to never answer a paypal email from inside another email. Always close the email and go to paypal direct to check it out. If it is bogus always report it immediately so paypal can close them down. NEVER NEVER give account information in response to an email inquirey, always close it and go directly to the source to inquire as to why they need it.

3. chris82

chris82 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That looks like sound advice mystery scribe.thank you.Ill keep all that info in mind.

4. skyonfire

skyonfire TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've been using paypal for the last couple years for all my ebay purchases and I've never had any problems.. And I agree with the advice from mysteryscribe...

5. uberben

uberben TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have used paypal more times then I can count as a ebay reseller and a buyer. I have never had a problem. yesterday I bought a 20d + other gear from somebody on a different forum and payed via paypal. As you can imagine it was a larger sum of money...To my amazement, Paypal called me today to ask me if I had authorized the transaction of that amount. I was blown away at that kind of customer service. Just make sure you do your background checking on the seller and make sure they are legit.

6. Becky

Becky TPF Noob!

Never had any issues with Paypal and used it for ages. Had a few with eBay though...

7. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    No problems here with PayPal. I suggest you consider the following:

1. Set up a simple checking account in a bank where you have no other accounts.

2. Use that account as the cash supply for PayPal. Transfers take about 4 days. Your exposure to loss is now limited [The total amount in PayPal and the checking account] as compared to using a credit card.

3. During the set-up process, you will receive specific emails from PayPal which relate to transfers of very small amounts. Answer these. Once the account has been set up, never open any email that purports to be from PayPal. Instead, delete it immediately and communicate directly with the PayPal site.

8. Hfry

Hfry TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yea I give Props. to paypal. But There is a Certin amount of Trust involved with Purchasing stuff Of the Internet. But Yea Paypal is a Secure way for Funding/ Forwarding Money. A++ on my half for paypal. I have prob. had about 50+ Paypal Transactions and only 3 of the 50 or so Turned out as bad news. So Yea. Its a Trust thing. But I can say i have a strong Amount of respect for PAyPAl.

9. LittleMan

LittleMan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    never had any problems with paypal, just used it for my 20d.

10. morydd

morydd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The advice regarding not using link in e-mail is sound. In fact the same goes for any site in which you are exchanging information you don't want to be public. Banks, gas/electric/cable bills, Paypal, etc. Always access them by typing them into your address bar, or better, through bookmarks you created in your browser on your personal computer. (Of course, running a secure browser rather than IE)

11. tasman

tasman TPF Noob!

I have used paypal with an online balance through Ebay and using my credit card with no problems at all.

12. chris82

chris82 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks,Ill take into consideration what all of you have said.