Pentax or Nikon?

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am torn between a new Pentax *ist 35mm or a Nikon n80. Does anyone here have any experience with either, or a similarly priced 35mm that they could recommend?

Thanks

I'd say if you've got the money go with the Nikon N80, it could serve you better in the longrun.

I say buy Canon too. I love 'em :) I also have a very wierd attachment to my dads old Olympus OM1 thats kinda cool too.

I was initially deciding between Pentax ist and a Canon rebel t2. I guess it's just a personal thing. After seeing both in person, I just didn't care much for the way the Canon feels in the hand. Also, I think that Nikon has a better selection of lenses that I can grow with. I still have yet to see the pentax ist in person though. The digital version of the ist is getting good reviews, but haven't heard much of the film version.

Canon makes a lot of different cameras, other than the Rebel t2, and Canon has a huge selection of lenses. I would personally pick either Nikon or Canon.

I don't know much about the Pentax *ist; heck, I only though it came in digital. But Pentax makes good cameras. When Nikon and Canon went to plastic lens mounts 10 years ago to save a nickle, Pentax stuck with metal lens mounts. But by now they've probably jumped on the "screw the consumer" band wagon just like the industry leaders (Nikon & Canon).

The Canon Rebel 2000 is a pretty good entry level SLR; I assume that other Canon Rebel models are also pretty good.

The Nikon N-80 is a few steps up from entry level. If I were ever to buy another auto focus 35mm SLR (I never will, I prefer less bells and whistles features, not more) it would probably be a Nikon N-80. It's a very nice camera.

In the long run the Canon and Nikon gear will have more accessories and lens choices. But Pentax will still have 99.9% of everything most photogs ever actually use. Pentax gear will probably be cheaper than Nikon or Canon gear.

Most of what is needed for good photography is in the photographer, and camera brand doesn't really matter. In fact, as a photog who uses many different designs of camera, I'd say there is hardly any difference between consumer model AF 35mm SLRs from manufacturer to manufacturer, but I know there are plenty of folks who swear by one brand name or another. Any of the major brands usually make pretty good equipment. Just make sure it has all the features you're going to want. Nikon, for instance, is notorious for leaving some pretty basic features off of their entry level SLRs (cable release, manual ISO selection, etc...).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back