Photographing the Sun

Also, I'd not, in future, (to Joves as well) take eclipses before the entire sun is covered. Looking at a partially covered sun can seriously damage your eyes as much as starting normally would. It's more dangerous, actually, because you can continuously stare at it.

Taking the sun, by the way, can and does damage sensors. Especially with a telephoto. Works like a magnifying glass.

I wish to photograph the Sun. Can I do this by reducing the strength of the lighting by using 2 semi-crossed polaroid filters?

I see that other responses have taken this objective in a different direction. That's good. Your thinking is correct and will work with the old linear polarizers. Unfortunately, it will not work with modern "circular polarizers." This is because the front surface of the polarizing filter does the polarizing (and eliminates reflections) while the rear surface scatters (or circularizes) the light (unpolarizes it) so that your auto-exposure mechanism will function properly.

Also, I'd not, in future, (to Joves as well) take eclipses before the entire sun is covered. Looking at a partially covered sun can seriously damage your eyes as much as starting normally would. It's more dangerous, actually, because you can continuously stare at it.
Ummm if you read my post it stated shot through my telescopes with a Thousands Oaks Solar filter. It is fully safe to shoot and, observed through a filter made for that purpose.
One exception to the solar filter rule is using supposed solar filters that go on the eyepieces. I dont think any manufacturers still provide those. Those have caused more eye damage that any others. WHen people would show me those and, ask if they were safe, I would drop them on the ground and, stomp them and, say now it is safe because ot os broken and, you cant use it. Filtration has to be at the front of any optics to be truly safe. And also has to be made for that purpose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back