Photos that changed the world

some really powerful photographs in there but one thing kinda mindboogles me a bit, knowing my way around guns etc..the *stopping time shot*. why has the apple got 2 exit points?.. the entry should be nearly as smooth as the apple core and the exit should be like it is with the bullet exploding out of the core. the entry shouldn't have a exploding entry similar to the exit. anyone else have any thoughts on this?... would like to hear them just in case ( which i usually am) i'm wrong

wow on some of them, great post, thanks

If you like this kind of thing I saw a Time Life 20th century's greatest images collection. It had it all, and was spectacular.

"Changed the world"? Isn't that a bit too strong?

Really, people think that there are photographs that changed the world?

I, personally, don't agree, no matter how beautiful, telling, shocking or revealing the picture is...
Isn't it a little presumtuous of us to think that this art/profession can change anything? The world won't change because of us...We can tell the story, maybe, but to change the script...

I, personally, don't agree, no matter how beautiful, telling, shocking or revealing the picture is...
Isn't it a little presumtuous of us to think that this art/profession can change anything? The world won't change because of us...We can tell the story, maybe, but to change the script...

Anything is possible.

Imagine a young man who has no ambition and no goals in his life that sees a particularly moving photo of people suffering in Africa. He decides that he can make a difference and decides to become a doctor to help these people.

He saves a young child from sickness who eventually grows up and becomes a bio-engineer who develops a means to grow limitless food and solves the world's hunger problem.

Because of this, some greedy CEO decides to assassinate this you man and steal the process for doing this.

The world is now smouldering in ashes because one corporation didn't like that another had the means to make limitless food and limitless money so they took it upon themselves to start a nuclear holocaust.

All of this because of one photo.

heh most shots that have massive effects directly on people are not well taken at all.
They break every rule of composition - in a very bad way
They are sins against the technicalities of photography as well - wrong aperture, wrong ISO
Heck they might not even be focused right.

But that shot of the president and his mistress - that shot of the commander executing the prisoner - the shots of a late night fight.

Those are often the shots that make a major change - shots that say 1000 words of their own, but not often words that many photographer would quickly come to think of ;)

some really powerful photographs in there but one thing kinda mindboogles me a bit, knowing my way around guns etc..the *stopping time shot*. why has the apple got 2 exit points?.. the entry should be nearly as smooth as the apple core and the exit should be like it is with the bullet exploding out of the core. the entry shouldn't have a exploding entry similar to the exit. anyone else have any thoughts on this?... would like to hear them just in case ( which i usually am) i'm wrong

for some reason I can't get to the listed site -but I know what you describe and from what I know the blowback at entry is normal for any form of shot - even against people. That is why a person gets blood on themseleves when they shoot someone - of course depending on the object shot and the nature of the bullet the exit wound can vary a lot - from small to totally blowing a massive whole in the back of the person
This is something that is often left out of many films since it would throw all the ratings to 18+ (or higher in the USA and other countries) instantly

The vietnam shot was a con. There were soilders running to help that kid, but they were cropped out. Just goes to show how much the media lies to you

Anything is possible.

Imagine a young man who has no ambition and no goals in his life that sees a particularly moving photo of people suffering in Africa. He decides that he can make a difference and decides to become a doctor to help these people.

He saves a young child from sickness who eventually grows up and becomes a bio-engineer who develops a means to grow limitless food and solves the world's hunger problem.

Because of this, some greedy CEO decides to assassinate this you man and steal the process for doing this.

The world is now smouldering in ashes because one corporation didn't like that another had the means to make limitless food and limitless money so they took it upon themselves to start a nuclear holocaust.

All of this because of one photo.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

:lol: that is great.

Fidel it is true though. These aren't some photos you or I took and put on the web somewhere. These photos were published on front pages, in huge articles at a time when the issues were incredibly relevant and very close to people's hearts. They have been published again and again because of their impact. I disagree with some of the choices, but many of them are famous and shook the viewers to their core when first published.

The vietnam shot was a con. There were soilders running to help that kid, but they were cropped out. Just goes to show how much the media lies to you

Lots of famous shots don't tell the whole story or are staged, that doesn't change their impact though.

Lots of famous shots don't tell the whole story or are staged, that doesn't change their impact though.

True, maybe you have to overexagerate the truth sometimes to make an impact

Indeed. I think the one photo that sticks with me is one I saw in a Magnum book, a photo of a severed human spine and pelvis in Vietnam.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back