Picked this up with a darkroom

remylebeau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey All,

So I been looking around for a good darkroom for a while and I'm glad I didn't move on a few before. I got a really great deal and it came with this camera.

I'm pretty sure it's the Canon IIS2 because it's got X sync but shutter only goes to 1/500th and the serial is in the right range. I've never even come close to a camera of this vintage or one with such a small viewfinder...I think I'd have a lot of difficulty framing a shot. The rangefinder appears accurate and it's fairly visible, but the viewfinder is so small it's almost like viewing into a circular peep hole.

There's a quite a bit of oil on the aperture blades so I'll have to get that taken in for a cleaning. The camera itself seems in great condition, shutter, dials everything works.

$Canon01.jpg$Canon02.jpg$Canon03.jpg

Does that take super old (Leica?) lenses, like the Canon 7, or the much more common FL/FD ?

Yeah, it uses the pre-m3 Leica LTM(m39) screw mount lenses. When I first looked at it I thought it was a fixed lens camera, because I couldn't find the release lol.

It sure looks like the Canon camera designers were heavily influenced by the designers at Leitz. I like the looks of this camera. It reminds me of the III-series Leicas.

Don't you just love little surprises like that....? Very nice!!!!!

You mean the camera came with a darkroom ? Bonus !!

Yup, looks like a IIS. You are lucky it isn't one of the older models with a smaller viewfinder.
Looks to be in great condition.
You might want to open it up and check the shutter for pin holes.
I've just fixed up a IIF (older model), small viewfinder is usable especially with the magnifier ... though framing does make it difficult as I wear glasses.
Cleaning the aperture on the lens should be fairly easy (have done that numerous times) ... no haze on the lens ?

Last edited:
Lens looks fantastic, I can't even see dust but I'm sure they're in there. But the aperture blades are really bad. How were you able to get the lens apart? I couldn't find any screws it looks like you need a proprietary tool to unscrew the rear lens element.

It sure looks like the Canon camera designers were heavily influenced by the designers at Leitz. I like the looks of this camera. It reminds me of the III-series Leicas.

Yeah that's exactly what I've been reading. Apparently Canon was copying Leica styling quite heavily during that period...they've even using Leica's M39 mount design. I really like it though

You mean the camera came with a darkroom ? Bonus !!

Yup, looks like a IIS. You are lucky it isn't one of the older models with a smaller viewfinder.
Looks to be in great condition.
You might want to open it up and check the shutter for pin holes.
I've just fixed up a IIF (older model), small viewfinder is usable especially with the magnifier ... though framing does make it difficult as I wear glasses.
Cleaning the aperture on the lens should be fairly easy (have done that numerous times) ... no haze on the lens ?

Yeah, I wasn't prepared at the time to pay $500 for the darkroom so he offered to include one of the camera's he had on the shelf. I cased this one and an Argus(didn't know what it was at the time), there was so much stuff I said I'll come back the next day for the rest of the boxes and the camera. Which gave me time to go home and do a little research...I still really like the Argus but this one is definitely the best of the lot he had.

Congrads David for the good deal. As goes for the darkroom, what did you get ?

Congrads David for the good deal. As goes for the darkroom, what did you get ?

Hey thanks!

2 Durst enlargers (one is 401, not sure what the other model is) with laborator 1000 condensors. One table stand one wall mount/stand. 35, 120 and 4x5 carriers for both. A ton of filters of which I have no idea how to use properly. 2 easels. Few stainless tanks of various sizes, with 35mm and 120 reels. The coolest thing is he's got a daylight 4x5 developing box with hangers, and a couple of larger boxes to wash/hang the 4x5. Trays, safe lights, etc. So far only got the b&w enlarger working...somethings off with the color one. I'm not sure yet if its the timer, the head, the bulb etc.

I also got a couple of englarging lenses, Nikkor 50 2.8, Rodenstock 60 f/4, schneider 150 5.6, schneider 50 5.6.

The seller said his dad was a photographer for 50+ years, which was why the stuff is so complete and in pretty good condition. Neither of the son's had any interest in photography so the stuff sat in the garage for a while.

This all for $500 ? Way cool.
When comes to model name and etc. we have to be careful. Durst and others made a tones of different models and naming of them became confusing.
Looks like your Durst is an Laborator 1000 with Pavelle 401 colour head. Is that correct ? If so you maybe do not need those filters.

This all for $500 ? Way cool.
When comes to model name and etc. we have to be careful. Durst and others made a tones of different models and naming of them became confusing.
Looks like your Durst is an Laborator 1000 with Pavelle 401 colour head. Is that correct ? If so you maybe do not need those filters.

Yeah. Originally we discussed 250 to 300 for half the darkroom because I wasn't sure I needed everything. But once I got there and saw all the stuff, I thought I'd be a fool if I didn't try and get all of it. He was really great about explaining what a lot of the stuff does.

Yeah that's exactly right, wow good eye. I read on a few other threads that the head needs a cooling fan?

Yeah. Originally we discussed 250 to 300 for half the darkroom because I wasn't sure I needed everything. But once I got there and saw all the stuff, I thought I'd be a fool if I didn't try and get all of it. He was really great about explaining what a lot of the stuff does.

Yeah that's exactly right, wow good eye. I read on a few other threads that the head needs a cooling fan?
Keep some contact with the seller if you can. After 50 years he must know all.
Cooling fan - yes. I don't know, isn't it built in ? I can't find a manual for this model.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back