Pics of the girlfriend.

DSLR noob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just bored one day when I was teaching her how to use film. When we were done burning through the film, we went to the 20D, here are some shots. I take criticism well if you see anyhting that bothers you you'd like to point out. Please, nothing mean about the model, I love her, I only want advice on the photography. so without further a due, here are the shots. Enjoy.

(most of these are just edited with curves and some color balance since I forgot to take the WB off of a previous custom setting, other than that, it's straight out of camera)

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

I probably like the 3rd one the best. and the 4th one the least due to the stuff in her face.

Only other critique would be the shadows.

Yeah, all I have is the on camera flash (which I've never used, not for ONE picture, because it's utter crap). I really wish I had some kind of speedlight with a diffuser but I am saving for SOOOOO much other stuff right now.

I agree with the 3rd one being the best.I like the natural hair light! 4 would be a real good one to but for the little twigs around her neck, even that might pass, but the one on her right cheek... nooooo. Photoshop those out and see how much better this shot will look.

I like the third shot the best because she looks more natural and relaxed in that one.

Ooooh I love her hair colour, I used to have mine similar..

ANyways I think the shadows in the second pic are distracting I think the poses are great and natural nice oics overall

Yeah, all I have is the on camera flash (which I've never used, not for ONE picture, because it's utter crap). I really wish I had some kind of speedlight with a diffuser but I am saving for SOOOOO much other stuff right now.

Really, that's all I was seeing to point out... and you already have a handle on it.

BTW I love red highlights in girls hair in general, and it looks good on her.

I think these are great shots, but feel so cold. Maybe this is what you were after. I don't know if you shoot raw or not, but if you do you could easily warm them up some.

BTW since you say it is OK to edit your photos, I tweaked my favorite one a bit by reducing the severity of the facial shadows, and a couple other little highlights... you may hate what I did, but I was just messing around.

noob.jpg

Here's the other version I did, which I don't think I like better than the first one I posted... it is a bit more saturated, and I warmed up her skin a bit as well, but I think it is a bit too much after comparing them side by side.

noob3.jpg

How about something in between (and yes, I am quitting after this one)

noob2.jpg

I guess the pics are a bit cold. I need to get in the habbit of processing RAW after I get my Macbook Pro in May, I currently have a system wtih 256 Megs of RAM to edit with, so processing a lot of RAW files wears it down too quickly and it's why I shoot Large JPEG Fine. Thanks for the comments and I like the first edit the most, only, her lips got too neon pink in the edit.

Your pictures look fine, I was just playing... I like saturated colors.

Your pictures look fine, I was just playing... I like saturated colors.

Well, thanks for giving it so much interest. I appreciate being able to grow in any way I can and sometimes having others show you what theirs ideas of post processing can do for YOUR photos, can make you look at stuff a different way. That's why I let people edit my photos all they want. I joined this site for 2 reasons.

1) help out others who need to know something I do know, because I remember how hard it was for me to start

and

2)to become a better photographer than I could be without the priceless critique and feedback and inspiration

I hadn't posted pics in a while and so far these have gotten fairly high marks, it shows that I'm improving and I like it.

Most reactions

Back