JohanNew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good morning
Day
Evening

First off thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully respond to yet another " help me I don't know what camera to buy" ;-).

If you don't feel like reading skip to:
IN SHORT

I'm 17 years of age and would like to buy my first own camera. I'm not a total photography noob while I not only searched the internet for knowledge but also used one!

This summer holidays my dad bought a Samsung nx3000 to try if photography is really something I would like to do. I only shot in manual the entire Holliday and did really diverse kinds of photography so I'm pretty familiar with aperture, shutters peed, iso, manual focussing.

Next year I will be finished with highschool and go on a long trip over the world so the camera I want to buy will be used for travel. until then I want to use it for shooting field hockey, snowboarding. landscapes, wildlife, night time so... A lot!

IN SHORT:

My budget is €2400,- for now

I own a Samsung nx3000 at the moment

Intended use: all over the place but I'm thinking a short prime 35-50mm and a longer 100+ would be everything I "need"

My skill level is pretty average? I know a lot of theory but don't have much hands on time with better cameras. I do shoot manual...

So at the moment I'm looking at the:
-fujifilm x-t1
-fujifilm x-t2
-fujifilm x-pro 2
- Olympus om-d e-m1
- Olympus om-d e-m1 mark ii
- Olympus om-d e-m5 mark ii

As you might have noticed, they are all mirrorless because I like the compactness of the body's and lenses for travel and backpacking.

I'm looking to buy a secondhand/occasion body and lenses because it is cheaper and usually just as good as new.

I would love to hear which cameras and lenses you would choose under €2400 used and why.

If you need more info feel free too ask, thanks in advance!

Johan

If I was buying a mirrorless only camera and would have one camera only then I would probably get the Sony A7II (because I think the A7RII is out of your price range).
I wouldn't touch any micro four third cameras, I had one and the low light performance on these tiny sensors sucks!
If full frame isn't for you then the Fuji X-T2 would be my choice, there really is very little bad to say about the X-T2, my only problem with the Fuji system is its lack of full frame camera, other then that I never heard of anyone who didn't like his/her Fuji camera.

If I was buying a mirrorless only camera and would have one camera only then I would probably get the Sony A7II (because I think the A7RII is out of your price range).
I wouldn't touch any micro four third cameras, I had one and the low light performance on these tiny sensors sucks!
If full frame isn't for you then the Fuji X-T2 would be my choice, there really is very little bad to say about the X-T2, my only problem with the Fuji system is its lack of full frame camera, other then that I never heard of anyone who didn't like his/her Fuji camera.

Thank you for the reply,
The reason I don't go for Sony mirrorless is size and pricing of their lenses, m43 is ideal for getting most reach out of a lens and the om-d em-1 mark ii has probably the best image stabilization out there.

And the fujifilm system has some extremely small and pretty affordable fast primes...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a pro

Lens reach is NOT nearly as important as how the sensor performs! OM-series m43 sensors have poor overall sensor performance, and you would be sacrificing huge ISO benefits of an FX-size 24x36mm sensor, as in a Sony A7-series mirrorless.

The Fuji system is all APS-C, but sexy design and good build and good lenses.

The Oly OM cameras LOOK beautiful, and do have a good IBS system.

Lens reach is NOT nearly as important as how the sensor performs! OM-series m43 sensors have poor overall sensor performance, and you would be sacrificing huge ISO benefits of an FX-size 24x36mm sensor, as in a Sony A7-series mirrorless.

The Fuji system is all APS-C, but sexy design and good build and good lenses.

The Oly OM cameras LOOK beautiful, and do have a good IBS system.

Thank you for the reply Derrel!
Yesterday I went to a pretty large camera store here in the Netherlands, and had a good look around.
I believe I would be very happy owning a x-t2, what lenses would you advise for about €1400 in total?

If I wouldn't mind bringing a dslr the price to performance increases, doesn't it? Because in real life they don't seem that much huger...

Last edited:
The X-T2 is the top of the line for Fuji along with the X-Pro. As you can see from my avatar, I use the E cameras because they are smaller and lighter. You can't go wrong with Fuji. Metal bodies, metal lenses, amazingly high quality all around. I believe personally that DSLR's are obsolescent. The numbers agree.

The X-T2 is the top of the line for Fuji along with the X-Pro. As you can see from my avatar, I use the E cameras because they are smaller and lighter. You can't go wrong with Fuji. Metal bodies, metal lenses, amazingly high quality all around. I believe personally that DSLR's are obsolescent. The numbers agree.

Thank you for the reply, being a fujifilm user yourself what lenses would you buy for €1400,-?

Thank you for the reply, being a fujifilm user yourself what lenses would you buy for €1400,-?

That depends on your photographic subjects. My lenses are 14mm f2.8, 32mm f1.8, 18-55 zoom, 60mm f2.4 and 50-230mm zoom. I have a fisheye lens on order. I would suggest the 18-55 zoom as a basic lens. It is a very high quality zoom with a metal barrel and outstanding image quality. The rest is up to you.

I'll have to disagree with @Derrel about Olympus M43 sensor performance. There is nothing wrong with them. They can produce excellent images. There are tons of examples out there. The M43 cameras out today have great performance and a lot of features that dslr's do not have. And Olympus has a lot of great glass. There is also tons of lenses in the M43 system. Not only that but you can adapt any aps-c or dslr lens out there to use.

I can highly recommend the EM1 mkII. Also the hi-res feature will give you quality on par with some of the best dslr's.

There are not to many M43 users on here and I find that ff users tend to look down on them even with the advancement of the sensors. There are dslr's out there with worse performance.

I'll have to disagree with @Derrel about Olympus M43 sensor performance. There is nothing wrong with them. They can produce excellent images. There are tons of examples out there. The M43 cameras out today have great performance and a lot of features that dslr's do not have. And Olympus has a lot of great glass. There is also tons of lenses in the M43 system. Not only that but you can adapt any aps-c or dslr lens out there to use.

I can highly recommend the EM1 mkII. Also the hi-res feature will give you quality on par with some of the best dslr's.

There are not to many M43 users on here and I find that ff users tend to look down on them even with the advancement of the sensors. There are dslr's out there with worse performance.

Thank you for the reply! I did take derrel's answere with a grain of salt (no offense derrel).

I can highly recommend the EM1 mkII. Also the hi-res feature will give you quality on par with some of the best dslr's.nce.

Thank you for the reply! I did take derrel's answere with a grain of salt (no offense derrel).

take all the internet 'answers' with a grain of salt (or two)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Thank you for the reply,
The reason I don't go for Sony mirrorless is size and pricing of their lenses, m43 is ideal for getting most reach out of a lens and the om-d em-1 mark ii has probably the best image stabilization out there.

And the fujifilm system has some extremely small and pretty affordable fast primes...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a pro
Sony a6xxx is very small, smaller then some MFT cameras, Sony lenses are not cheap but I can tell you I have the a6300, I have the kit lens which is tiny and the 55-210mm, it aint small but it aint too big either and was VERY affordable when I bought it used few months ago. I also added the 50mm 1.8, with these 3 lenses I am covered for all my basic travel and video needs.
Fuji is great, nothing more to add
MFT cameras are ok, I had one and found the low light to be unimpressive (as I already stated), I guess for some this tiny sensor camera is ok but I think for less then ideal lighting situation you want minimum of APS-C sensor camera.

Sorry but I actually agree with Derrel, I had the Panasonic G7 and it low light performance was disappointing, about 400iso and I already had to struggle with grain, I was forced to use prime lens most of the time and eventually after few weeks of test and true attempt to like this system I sold it and got a Sony a6300. MFT is ok for travel but only in ideal lighting conditions, once the sun is going down or indoors and image quality is suffering.

Sorry but I actually agree with Derrel, I had the Panasonic G7 and it low light performance was disappointing, about 400iso and I already had to struggle with grain, I was forced to use prime lens most of the time and eventually after few weeks of test and true attempt to like this system I sold it and got a Sony a6300. MFT is ok for travel but only in ideal lighting conditions, once the sun is going down or indoors and image quality is suffering.

That's a G7. I have no issues going to 4000 iso. Once again people are looking at the older sensors. The technology has improved greatly with the new top end models for the last few years.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back