Please Help Me Choose A Camera!

marjen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of buying a Digital Camera. My first two choices are "Minolta Dimage A2" or "Sony DSC-F828" I am also leaning to a "Nikon D70" as long as it can do as good or better in all functions, what the minolta or sony can. This is a purchase I want to make, and be happy with for a long time. If anyone has any comments for me on any of these models, or which one they would choose, it would help me immensely. Thank you for your time. :D

I heard many positive opinions about sony DSC-F828. So I opt for it :)

I'd choose D-70 :D

in fact i did choose d-70....lol

The D70 is vastly superior to either of the other cameras.

Firstly, it's a true SLR which means you have a full range of Nikon SLR accessories to choose from.

Most importantly the D70 has a much, much better sensor. Both the other cameras have an 8MP sensor but it's only 8.8mm x 6.6mm. (I'm fairly certain both sensors are exactly the same, made by Sony). The D70 sensor is only 6MP but it's 23.7mm x 15.5mm. That's a big difference. This means you get much better picture quality and much better color.

Also, the Canon digital rebel has similar advantages over the Minolta and the Sony.

Of your choices, the Nikon D70 is the closest to a pro setup as you'll get.

Aparently, the Canon Powershot "Pro"1, since it was released after the F828, had time to improve itself. Also, one thing to consider is that I've been reading that the new 8megapixel cameras are suffering from "severe Color Fringing and Chromatic Aberrations." 8 megapixel cameras may not turn out to be so hot. I know I wouldn't want to shoot to sell with them if you have to adjust each image - which is the biggest reason I've not gone digital yet...that and I'm a loser with no freakin' money...

From September Shutterbug - pg.30:
"...[chromatic aberration]...can result in purple and green fringing in the image corners at high contrast edges."

You might wanna wait 6months or a year for these new models to have a track record with real people, but here's a review you should read:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaa2/page15.asp - note that they compare it to the new Canon Powershot. Since you're interested in this camera, I'd start back at page one to get all the nasty details. Here's one on the sony: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/

And make sure you look at all the "compared to" sections to see if they match your favorites up.

Of those 3 camers, the Nikon D70 is the clear winner. It's in a completely different class, not to mention with accessories, and lenses, it's a whole system you are buying into, and an open ended one that lets you add to your gear as you get more into photography.

D70...

Anyways... You may want to consider the fact that the 20D is coming out and people are getting rid of their Rebels and 10Ds. So you'll be able to get one for a very good price right now. Canon CMOS sensor is clearly more superior to the D70 and 10D is a way better than any D70 out there.

DocFrankenstein said:
Canon CMOS sensor is clearly more superior to the D70 and 10D is a way better than any D70 out there.

I think you exaggerate the canon. From what I've seen of direct comparisons and reviews the image quality of the 10d is slightly better, not way better, and probably not something you'd even notice in a normal photo.

There are also plenty of people out there who actually prefer the D70 to the 10D, each camera certainly has some advantages over the other; it's more of a personal choice rather than the absolute statement of fact that you imply.

The image quality shows up at higer ISOs...

anyways... I don't really care.

I'm an avid Minolta fan. I use the 7i and 7hi. I'm considering an A2 after they release their version of the slr.

I have some problems with the slr digitals, the biggest one being the ccd's penchant for attracting dust. With the minolta, you have full creative control, and 28-200 mm lens that works great without carrying around a lot of gear, the ability to use studio strobes, and various flash attachments.

Also, with the rate of technological development, it's easier for me to justify a $600 to $1000 investment in equipment that is compatible with components I already own.

Good luck, and happy hunting.

Cannon 10D,

Remember with the Cannon systen if you already have EOS Lense then they will fit. The problem with the D70 is they don't take the older Pro-SLR Nikoin lense. And yes I got this right from a Nikoin saleman.

Beside I think that Cannon has a better service plan then any other Companys. I inrolled in their Pro Program and if say I ned to 1500MM for an airshow I can borrow one with a small deposit from Cannon directly plus there is alsort of perks.

Just my Two and Half Cents

Cheers Crazymainer

Ah, the never ending Nikon/Cannon discussion.............

Cannon vs Nikon
Coke vs Pepsi
Chevy vs Ford
Windows vs Mac

I say be brave. Shoot a Minolta, drink Dr Pepper, drive a Dodge, use a Linux machine, wear a beanie and call yourself alternative.

Or do what I do, not care, and say "yes.....I'll have another beer, thank you." :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back