polarizing filter

damn, i gotta git me a polarizing filter once i rebuy a film camera (as i'm only digi now, not slr though, or i'd have one already....)

*dumb question* Does a polarising filter on a camera work the same as a pair of polarised sunglasses?

Xmetal said:
*dumb question* Does a polarising filter on a camera work the same as a pair of polarised sunglasses?

Not a dumb question. and Yep it's just like your sunglasses. Except you can't change the polarising in your glasses like you can in the filter because you can't twist the lenses in your glasses.

BUT... what you can do is tilt your head!!!
Try This: Go out side on a sunny day with your polarised sunnies and look at the sky, then slowly tilt your head and you'll notice the sky getting lighter! Just like what happens when you don't use a polarising filter.

Now I have a question for the filter buffs. What happens if you have a polarising filter on your camera and you take a photo of a window with polarising tint on it? Usually if you look through glasses the tinting on the window has funny patterns appear on it because of (i'm assuming) different levels/patterns of tinting - so you get dark and light areas, purple and blue and green areas. Has anyone taken a photo like this? Or does something strange happen?
Because I've taken a lot of photos (with filter) on boats with tinted windows and I've never noticed the patterns.

Meysha said:
Not a dumb question. and Yep it's just like your sunglasses. Except you can't change the polarising in your glasses like you can in the filter because you can't twist the lenses in your glasses.

BUT... what you can do is tilt your head!!!
Try This: Go out side on a sunny day with your polarised sunnies and look at the sky, then slowly tilt your head and you'll notice the sky getting lighter! Just like what happens when you don't use a polarising filter.

Now I have a question for the filter buffs. What happens if you have a polarising filter on your camera and you take a photo of a window with polarising tint on it? Usually if you look through glasses the tinting on the window has funny patterns appear on it because of (i'm assuming) different levels/patterns of tinting - so you get dark and light areas, purple and blue and green areas. Has anyone taken a photo like this? Or does something strange happen?
Because I've taken a lot of photos (with filter) on boats with tinted windows and I've never noticed the patterns.

I know if you are using a linear polarizing filter that when the two polarized fields are perpendicular to each other, they will appear completely opaque.

I too got a polarizer for Christmas, haven't had a chance to use it yet. :meh:

just out of curiosity, could someone post some links to manufactuers/sellers of quality polarizing filters?

Hey how much noise :)

Polarizers are amazing and funny.

The linear seems to work better for get rid of reflexes such as water, windows, displays. The circular is good to get darker blue skies.\

I got both of them, but the amazing thing is when you stack one over the other, depending on which one of them is on top you can have:

1. A regulable neutral density filter (from ~20 - 100% darken)

2. A warm - cool filter (changing fron yellow to blue tones. Don't ask me why it happens, but is very interesting

A nice article about polarizers:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/content/pastissues/2001/july/polarizing.html

siv said:
damn, i gotta git me a polarizing filter once i rebuy a film camera (as i'm only digi now, not slr though, or i'd have one already....)

Man, you can use it in your digi in the same way. I have a Canon A70 and I attach it on the lenses adapter. If you don't have an adapter, you can simply hold it in front of the lenses. No need of a third hand because you just choose the position you want it by looking through it, then put in front of your camera.
Another thing: they are not expensive, and very helpfull

Other example:

No polarizer

3.jpg

With polarizer:

2.jpg

Here is an example of the polarizing effect on water.

without filter
polex10ug.jpg

with filter
polex22on.jpg

PlasticSpanner said:
Is it possible to apply a polarizing effect to scanned photos?

No, polarizers only work at the time the photo is taken. The light entering the lens may be polarized one way or the other, or even not at all, and the polarizer will block light which is polarized against its alignment. The film (or CCD, for digitals) does not record any information about the polarization of the light, only its intensity (and color, more or less). So, once the picture is made, all polarization is lost.

With that said, some of the effects may be reproduced manually in software. You can lighten or darken skys, tone down some reflections, increase saturation, etc, all of which are just some of the effects a polarizer can produce. This typically requires manually selecting and adjusting color/luminosity values.

PlasticSpanner most of the examples show the effects that a polarizer filter has on colors, those effects can be done is PS manually or with custom action or dig-filter.

The big effect that polarizers do are to cut down on glair or reflections off of water and glass & etc, this can not be done is PS. Pursuer examples show this some, the white water in his first one has more glair that in second.

ksmattfish said:
I was digging through old pics, and I found this example of using a polarizing filter. Nothing special about the subject or composition, but I think it is a good example of the effects of a pol filter.

I don't remember the kind of film. These were shot on a tripod with a Norita 6x6 w/80mm f/2 lens.

Without polarizing filter

33973%3A7523232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D6%3A4%3D%3A83%3DXROQDF%3E2323495%3C3358%3Aot1lsi

Same scene at the same time with a polarizing filter

33973%3A7523232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D6%3A4%3D%3A83%3DXROQDF%3E2323495%3C3358%3Bot1lsi
FUNK what an amazing difference... you sure u only used a polarizing filter?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back