Polaroid. This is your chance to help.

very bold move - especailly considering the current economic climate.
Good luck to them!

very bold move - especailly considering the current economic climate.
Good luck to them!

Actually, it is a smart move considering the current economic climate. Think about it, What are some of the least expencive cameras to purchasse in this day and age. The old Poleroids that every one and their brother had. Why spend $175 on a digicam when you can spend $30 on a Poleroid and film pack? And that is if you don't already have one in the closet. Offering a cheaper solution into todays market, It's brilliant IMHO.

From the website:

"Since 1972, integral film production has followed the exact same recipe, based on exactly the same components invented almost 40 years ago by Polaroid. Every single pack of Integral Instant film consists of about 20 components/parts. Some of essential original components used for producing Polaroid Integral film are not available any more and therefore Polaroid-brand film is going away.

Recent experiments and promising findings of the last few months have shown that existing components from other film products as well as new components CAN be adapted to create completely new types of high quality Integral film. Impossible b.v. has exactly 12 months to research, experiment and develop new and better solutions for replacing/upgrading problematic/expensive components, and to present a NEW Integral Instant film, ready for mass production at the end of 2009."

Love & Bass

I don't see how Polaroid will be any cheaper than a digital camera. When I last had one, the film packs were expensive for the number of shots you got.

You might spend $130 on a digital camera, but the pictures are pretty much free from that point on... and in todays digital world, far more useful. We have digital picture frames, Photobucket, Flickr, Facebook and Myspace. Who wants a print anymore? Even Walgreens, Target and the other local print shops use nothing more than glorified inkjet printers to run off prints.

The Polaroid will appeal to a dying group of nostalgists... and old farts resistant to technological change. But the long term outlook for such an endeaver isn't very promising.

But more power to them. I won't be going back...

Glad you posted your thoughts. I was hoping to avoid bashing. A breed of dying nostalgists and old farts resistant to technological change are generalizations. Poloaroids will forever be a strong part of photo history. Check out polanoid.

As adults and lovers of photography it is important to consider all processes. Not like one is better then another. More like each process has it's own merit and faults.

Love & Bass

Polaroid will never be cheaper than conventional film or new digital. But it's the magic. Yeah, I shoot 4x5 Polaroid sheet films and as a matter of fact I found this site through a post over at APUG. David and I both emailed and offered our assistance in our CIM magazine capacities. For what it's worth. Don't know if we'll hear back but what the hell! You only live once. Hopefully we'll get to shoot Polaroid twice.

Nice. I've been curious about experimenting with instant film for a little while now, and this sounds promising. Maybe I'll have something new to play with in the near future.

What I think is that they're crazy... :love: ..and just collectively brilliant enough to maybe pull it off. Edwin Land has to be grinning. I know I am.

Meh, I wish them good luck, but I see no way that this will be viable. Why do they think it died in the first place?

From the website:

"Polaroid is transforming itself from an analog Instant Film Production Company to a global Consumer Electronics and Digital Imaging company.

Production of analog Instant Film stopped in June 2008, closing the factories in Mexico (Instant Packfilm production) and the Netherlands (Instant Integral production).

Impossible b.v. has been founded with the concrete aim to re-invent and re-start production of analog INTEGRAL FILM for vintage Polaroid cameras. Therefore Impossible b.v. has acquired the complete film production equipment in Enschede (NL) from Polaroid, has signed a 10-year lease agreement on the factory building; and has engaged the most experienced team of Integral Film experts worldwide.

The Impossible mission is NOT to re-build Polaroid Integral film but (with the help of strategic partners) to develop a new product with new characteristics, consisting of new optimised components, produced with a streamlined modern setup. An innovative and fresh analog material, sold under a new brand name that perfectly will match the global re-positioning of Integral Films."

Love & Bass

i don't see it as a matter of being cheaper or more expensive than digital but much more as a matter of marketing. lomo docet. should they work on the new brand properly this will be one winning buisness.

From the website:

"Polaroid is transforming itself from an analog Instant Film Production Company to a global Consumer Electronics and Digital Imaging company.

Production of analog Instant Film stopped in June 2008, closing the factories in Mexico (Instant Packfilm production) and the Netherlands (Instant Integral production).

Impossible b.v. has been founded with the concrete aim to re-invent and re-start production of analog INTEGRAL FILM for vintage Polaroid cameras. Therefore Impossible b.v. has acquired the complete film production equipment in Enschede (NL) from Polaroid, has signed a 10-year lease agreement on the factory building; and has engaged the most experienced team of Integral Film experts worldwide.

The Impossible mission is NOT to re-build Polaroid Integral film but (with the help of strategic partners) to develop a new product with new characteristics, consisting of new optimised components, produced with a streamlined modern setup. An innovative and fresh analog material, sold under a new brand name that perfectly will match the global re-positioning of Integral Films."

Love & Bass
Yep. :thumbup: And with this in mind, I actually think they have a chance in hell to succeed. Not to mention the wonderful sight of Ilford/Harman listed there as a "supporter". They need those pockets. Ilford was appealed to on a fairly massive basis to pick up where Polaroid left off, as I recall. They apparently couldn't do that, but it sure is nice to see them there in some capacity.

I hope everyone who views the site signs their mailing list. I already have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back