Political Forum?

Would you be in favor of a Political Forum?

• Absolutely not! Everyone would end up hating each other.

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • Maybe, to see how it goes.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Yes! I want to discuss some politics!

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters
I know politics is really against the rules here, but I do like to talk politics and I think it could be done here civilly.

You think so?

This isn't a political forum as has been stated, why don't you do yourself a favor and not show your ignorance by leaving moronic comments.

Best,
Helen

guess you have never heard of Google?

its great! you type something in a box, say for example 'political forum' and then press search and then this appears http://www.politicalforum.com/

Nope, never heard of it. Thanks! I'll have to check it out.

-As I stated in my original thread, I know there are dedicated political forums, but I get too immersed and it takes up too much time - This forum already takes up enough time! But I figured as long as I'm here already, I'm mostly looking at photos but it would be nice to take an occasional break every now and then.

You think so?

Best,
Helen

Thanks for making your point - now I will put those quotes into context so everyone can see what I was responding to.

Original quote from 'phototard'
I like those pictures! I tried going to Iraq but they won't let me.. oh well. Thanks for what you do man, stay strong and take care of yourself. Don't let the left wing wacko's get you down, your doing good!

Completely uncalled for and a flat out insult to a particular group of people, which is why I replied:

This isn't a political forum as has been stated, why don't you do yourself a favor and not show your ignorance by leaving moronic comments.

To OP: Nice shots, can't add much other than what's been stated. Thanks for your service, and for sharing your shots. It's hard for us to know what's really going on over there.

I really hate when people take things completely out of context.

Exactly, Helen. :roll:

Thanks for all the input. After reading the replies it's obvious it won't happen, and I think I agree - everyone's right, it would probably turn ugly.

:thumbdown::thumbdown: I disagree. It is a photography forum. You want to talk politics, go find a political forum.

It's a photography forum, and we keep an off-topic section where certain off-topic subects STILL aren't allowed: politics and religion top the list.

We also have a Subscribers-only forum where a bit more freedom is allowed: this forum remains hidden from the public so more off-color jokes, pictures and, yes, other topics can be discussed. You wanna try to engage in a friendly political discussion, you gotta "pay to play", so to speak. ;) In TPF, this will remain your only option.

That said - even in there, you must remain on your best behavior; though we strive to keep this hidden section largely un-moderated, we can and will intervene if anything gets out of hand - and then the usual TPF behavioral guidelines override everything.

Bottom line: nothing like the more tolerant attitude of the Subscribers forum will ever be acceptable in any other area of TPF.

I don't think a political forum's a good idea either. From a few sites I've been on - nearly every political discussion ends up turning nasty - One particular site people were getting banned because they tried to debate some points one specific person believed in (an admin with access to ban people etc) if anyone else supported the people that disagreed they in turn got banned or warned off.

Last edited:
Discuss photography on a photo forum how preposterous! Why I never in all my years!

I say good day!!! :sexywink:

there is already enough heat in this forum with Nikon vs Canon and RAW vs JPEG and you want to bring George Bush into the picture???

damn marcus..... that's hot...

I believe it all depends upon what you mean.
There is Politics and there is politics. And not forgetting good old Politics.
You can discuss Politics as in the Politics of sex, race, religion... So I can discuss Photography from a Marxist view, a Capitalist view, a Feminist view, a Homosexual view...
Then I can discuss Photography in terms of politics - that is to say, the interaction between people as in 'political correctness'.
Or I can discuss Photography in terms of Politics as in 'if a**hole politicians didn't keep putting up taxes because they want to embezzle money out of the Country by one means or another then my camera wouldn't have cost so much and I could afford to get drunk every night'.
Option 3 is strictly forbidden here because, as we all know the truth of it, it is a pointless discussion.
The other two are much more interesting anyway.

I believe it all depends upon what you mean.
There is Politics and there is politics. And not forgetting good old Politics.
You can discuss Politics as in the Politics of sex, race, religion... So I can discuss Photography from a Marxist view, a Capitalist view, a Feminist view, a Homosexual view...
Then I can discuss Photography in terms of politics - that is to say, the interaction between people as in 'political correctness'.
Or I can discuss Photography in terms of Politics as in 'if a**hole politicians didn't keep putting up taxes because they want to embezzle money out of the Country by one means or another then my camera wouldn't have cost so much and I could afford to get drunk every night'.
Option 3 is strictly forbidden here because, as we all know the truth of it, it is a pointless discussion.
The other two are much more interesting anyway.

This is an awesome post. You are really smart, did you know that?

I don't think this being a photography message board is a strong argument against having a politics thread, as I've seen MANY message boards of all shapes, sizes and colors incorporating a political section. However, the arguments of not being able to prevent spillover to other threads and also creating bad blood are quite valid, IMO.

Hertz, how do you argue photography from a Marxist view? I know its possible, so I'm not questioning that. But I do find myself intrigued as to how a Marxist would view photography. I think they'd be okay with it as long as every single person had the same exact brand of camera to take photos with, you know? :) And then the Marxist would probably mention something about the, "Bourgeoisie," and the, "Proletariat revolution," when all you really want to know is if the depth of field in your portrait photo isolates the subject adequately. :)

I'm sorry I'm ranting. But this is funny to me, and I was hoping it may be to someone else. Probably not, though.

Most reactions

Back