Poor man's macro

Kenneth Walker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Burghfield Common, near Reading, Berkshire, UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took this during the summer, I think with the 55-200mm lens, wound all the way out. Still using auto focus ( I'm beginning to favour manual for this type of shot) Then I cropped it savagely in Elements to yield a sort of macro effect. Advice please, on how to proceed. I've thought about macro lenses, but they're expensive, and anyway these blighters don't let you get close!

Last edited:
I do my macro shots just like you! A macro lens is on my list, but pretty far down it at the moment.

I never have luck with anything other than manual focus for "macro" work anyways, could you get an older manual only focus lens? Macro lens are often bought and tucked away when the novelty wears off so they can often be found in great used condition for much less.

I'm sure someone will chime in with some wonderful information on extension tubes for you. I've never used them myself, but I know they are much more affordable than a macro lens, and I have seen some great work done with them!

flip your lens around and it should turn into a macro lens.

extension tubes > cropping savagely; almost as cheap.

If you happen to be a Nikon shooter with a DX sensor, their 40mm f:2.8 micro lens is a relatively inexpensive choice. The optical quality is impressive; but for true macro work, you'll be very close to your subjects. This can create shadows and also scare away some critters.

If you happen to be a Nikon shooter with a DX sensor, their 40mm f:2.8 micro lens is a relatively inexpensive choice. The optical quality is impressive; but for true macro work, you'll be very close to your subjects. This can create shadows and also scare away some critters.

Thanks....one is. I was looking at one just the other day. I shall consider it.

A close up filter will enable normal lenses to focus closer, giving a bigger image. They work best on long focal length lenses, and can be quite cheap (top quality ones tend to be more expensive of course).
I suspect you'd find it difficult to get close enough to use more than a +1 or +2 when shooting damsel flies in warm weather.

For more extreme magnifications you can mount one of your existing lenses reversed in front of another lens i.e. as a close up filter. You can try it handheld but coupling rings (with male filter threads each side) are only a few bucks. Some lens combinations vignette badly, but other wise the results are excellent. Resulting magnification is the ratio of the lenses focal lengths.
I used this lens stacking technique for the following shots:
Garden Spider 1 by Analyst 1, on Flickr
Detail of 10p coin by Analyst 1, on Flickr

Before I got my macro, I used a Raynox 1.5 with my 55-200. Worked well for me.
Flower in fron yard crop-4.jpg

vivitar extension tubes. mine have the electrical contacts that allow them to auto focus, but i quickly discovered that AF is pretty much useless for macro. I use them with my 50mm f/1.4 lens.
this shot is basically uncropped.

DSC_1960 by pixmedic, on Flickr

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Close-up filters are junk. Tubes are very cheap and you're not adding extra glass that can degrade quality...

Better off with extension tubes mate, mine have no electrical contacts (so manual focus only) but cost under a tenner delivered.

As others have said above (and in my opinion), extension tubes are the ONLY way to go other than springing for a dedicated macro lens. I use a set of manual Kenko brand extension tubes on my D7000 with my various Ai-S manual focus lenses. I love the D7000 for this as I can enter the lens info in to the camera, and still get metering. Manual focus is fine as AF is pretty unreliable when doing extremely close macro work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back