Portrait lens recommendations for Nikon D5200

Discussion in 'Nikon Accessories' started by Lanna.O, Feb 15, 2016.

1. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I prefer the compression and sharpness of the 85mm but as mentioned, you have to have the space behind you. The 85mm 1.8G has to be the best lens I have and it's a tremendous value while noticeably better image quality for portrait work, if you have the space behind you it can't be beat for the money.

I prefer the 35mm over he 50mm because it is more versatile in that makes a great street and landscape lens for me and good for tighter spaces. I also think the 35mm is a little sharper or at least my copy was, I ended up selling my 50mm. So for portraits, I use the 35 1.8G for tight spaces and the 85 1.8G for everything else other than a wide group shot. The problem with the 35mm is if you get to close to the subject, it can distort the face a little.

As mentioned, the 18-55 works great as well but I just prefer primes over zoom when it comes to portraits. I sold mine to get a 35mm 1.8G prime. I own a Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 that was giving to me and it works real nice as well, better than the Nikon kit lens for sharpness and low light but I rarely use it these days.

Your gonna get a ton of answers here that can get confusing. The 50mm is probably the most popular choice but I just do not prefer it over the 35mm and 85mm. You will more than likely love it. The only 50mm I love is the one on my Pentax Film camera, 50mm f/1.7

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

Here is a quick pic using the 85mm 1.8, I was about 8 ft away. The original file on PC is tack sharp.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016