portraits of Alexa, age 2

nakedyak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
some friends of mine asked me to do some pictures of their 2 year old daughter. I don't do a lot of portraits, so i'm interested in hearing some feedback from you guys.

PS. I hope these look better to you guys than they do on this monitor...:-/

64750310.jpg

64750307.jpg

64750308.jpg

64750309.jpg

64750312.jpg

64750311.jpg

64750316.jpg

64750315.jpg

64750314.jpg

64750313.jpg

thanks for looking!

I've been doing more portraits lately, and I think overall these are pretty good. The first few could use a little fill flash or a reflector would've helped I think. Try and stay eye level with your subject which you've pretty much done w/ the exception of #6 which I imagine is for variety. I tried the rocking horse this weekend, but my 10 month old just wasn't in the mood for it, but I think it makes a nice picture. All in all, I would say these are pretty good.

I'll agree that it needs some fill flash or a reflector in a few of them. Overall I think you did a good job.

Great colors and poses. She's a darllng little girl. I'll third the suggestion for a reflector/fill light to open up the shadows on her face. You're off to a great start!

she is beautiful - magical skin xx i think these shots are all great but agree that fill flash and/or maybe a reflector would have made them even better. my fave is #2 for the cheeky tongue just needs some more light over her darling face imo...great job! keep up the posts x ps. can i ask what lens you used here and what mode/settings?? - nosey arent i !!

I have to share this story. Nuns can really screw up a kid.

When I was in kindergarten, my nun teacher would punish the kids who misbehaved by making them sit on a stool in front of the class. Now... she didn't have a "dunce hat," but the boys would have to wear a pink ribbon on their head, and the girls were forced to wear blue ribbons. [shudder]

I'm 52 now, and this still gives me the creeps. I need therapy.

Pete

jemmy said:
she is beautiful - magical skin xx i think these shots are all great but agree that fill flash and/or maybe a reflector would have made them even better. my fave is #2 for the cheeky tongue just needs some more light over her darling face imo...great job! keep up the posts x ps. can i ask what lens you used here and what mode/settings?? - nosey arent i !!

most of these were taken with the 70-200mm f4 L, the outside ones at f4, inside with flash at f8. A few were also taken with the 50mm f1.8 at f2.8

she's so cuuuute! number 2 is my fav simply for her look and face with tongue :D

nakedyak said:
what does FTW mean?

THAT is ONE good question. I don't know that one, either.

But let me say that for someone who has not taken that many portraits, as you yourself say, these are really good. Can't help thinking what others have expressed by saying "...use of reflector or fill flash would have helped...", too, for my thoughts also were "No matter how nice her backlit hair may be, her face is a bit too much in the shadows therefore and her eyes don't shine". But with little Alexa you had a real ham in front of your camera, that much shows, and she is ever so cute in Photo 2. If I were her mummy and had asked you to take her pics, I'd give you a smack for this one :D.

And a hug for all the others.
(And the money that I'd owe you...).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back