Portraits of my girlfriend, novice photographer C&C Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say to watch your background. IMO 3,4,6 have a branch comin out her head. it is not too distracting but if you work on that you will get better images. Her skin tones from face to arm changes a lot and that can be fixed in pp. For your first run you did better than my first try. Keep on shooting and you will learn something new every single time.

Do you have an umbrella or softbox? The flash in these are fairly harsh on a few. THere are a few that are good. Way to many to go through. 5 is my limit when I have a ton of spare time.

Umbrella, the flash isn't harsh. If you read my post you would have read that she has porcelain skin aka very, very light skin. If I dial my aperture up so that its letting less light in and lowering the flash's power her skin tone ends up being underexposed. I already tested this as I thought the flash was too much myself but it's set just about right for her skin tone.

Here are some things you might find interesting to do with lighting and what some refer to as harsh or hard lighting. If you look at the shadows behind the subject, you can see that it is a little harsh. The inverse square law might also pertain to this.
You may already be aware of some of the information but you can always take away other bits of it as well.

Other than that I feel you've done an excellent job!

Since your lighting is so perfect, my only other comment is to always be aware of shooting up nostrils, bra straps, white balance, how to turn the body, and sharpening for final output.

Agreed with softening that light, will help with some of the abrasive lighting. Also, its frowned upon to shoot looking up into their nose, try a couple of stolen shots of her tilting her head to slight left or right..and go from there.

Umbrella, the flash isn't harsh. If you read my post you would have read that she has porcelain skin aka very, very light skin. If I dial my aperture up so that its letting less light in and lowering the flash's power her skin tone ends up being underexposed. I already tested this as I thought the flash was too much myself but it's set just about right for her skin tone.
No, it's definitely harsh flash. Light skin is skin tone. Harsh flash is harsh flash.

Well can you point out to me which photos have harsh flash instead of just saying they have harsh flash? Underexposed skin tone doesn't look so good to me but I don't see how any of them have overexposed flash and I'd like you to point them out to me, thanks.

The last picture is a perfect example of what I mean by saying that her skin tone is very light. The image itself is properly exposed (I used available light, no flash) and her skin appears to be too bright when in reality that's just her skin tone. Saying light skin tone is light and harsh flash is harsh is not helpful......thanks.

Why start off a post saying you have no experience and are brand new to lighthing, and then argue when someone starts pointing out the issues you are having.? Sounds like you should have said you have 6 months experience and know everything so don't bother posting.

<Moderated>

Last edited by a moderator:
^ He wanted C&C. At least I gave him some, you didnt give your c&c. :lol:

Last edited:
WB appears to be all over the place.

That comment by Parker219 is way over the line.
I asked the mods to remove his comment.
If he doesn't remove it himself, besides being a jerk ,he is a fool .

<Moderated>.

What a dick comment.

Indeed. Just FWIW, she's shown in shots by a novice people photographer AND she does not appear to have even a drop of foundation or any other makeup on. And that mane of thick,lovely, black hair! Nice! Good teeth too. I tell ya' what Parker219, $100 says just 10 minutes' worth of makeup and a splash of lipstick, and a dress on her-- and you'd be BEGGIN to go out with her...of course...she'd probably turn you down...

Last edited by a moderator:
Derrel said:
you'd be BEGGIN to go out with her...of course...she'd probably turn you down...

Derrell, you're giving this clown too much credit. He's never garnered the courage to speak to a woman. He's chosen instead to sit in front of his computer and make misogynistic, hateful comments about women to hide his bitterness. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back