Preferred photo storage/backup method?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by DaveAndHolly219, Apr 12, 2017.

1. DaveAndHolly219

DaveAndHolly219 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    How do you guys prefer to store/back up your photo library? I'm currently storing my photos (RAW files and finished JPEGs) on a 2TB drive in my PC and then backing everything up to Google Drive. I’m currently paying $1.99/mo for the 100GB option but that 100GB will certainly be used up sooner than later which will require me to bump up to the $9.99/mo 1TB option. This is working fine for me, but I wanted to see what everyone else is doing to see if there may be a better way.

2. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I use an external 3TB drive to back things up. These are around $180 each or so?
    I also work on an external 3TB drive

I really do not want all my work on the Cloud, as a backup or not.

3. DaveAndHolly219

Photos OK to edit
    Why not? Fear of hacking/theft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nobody ever said "I wish I hadn't done all that redundant backing up" after a major computer failure. When I was in business I also learned the importance of "alternating" your backup. My total data requirements have gone down but my methods haven't changed. I have 2 external hard drives sized to match my computer. Backups are done weekly. Week 1 - Drive 1 gets the backup, and goes in a fireproof safe, Drive 2 goes in my briefcase. Week 2- Drive 2 gets the backup, and goes in the safe. Drive 1 goes in the briefcase. This process is repeated until I travel, in which case the last one in the briefcase goes with me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    That plus there are times, when I'm in an area without access to internet.

6. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That too. But if you've ever had extended periods of no internet access at home due to this or that problems ... then you'd understand.

I put a lot of aircraft, sky/space photos out there but rarely put portraiture / kids sports stuff. So I err on the side of privacy. There have been instances where that was a good thing.

Some people work on the cloud. I don't have a large internet connection. And sending stuff to/from the cloud takes time. Copying to a local harddisk takes a lot less time. Plus as mentioned above multiple backups are a peace of mind. I already get a lot of errors uploading batch to Flickr. I'd hate to have a backup with errors in it.

I recall years ago when online businesses would go out of business and purge all their (your) data. I don't think it's like that nowadays but I err on the side of caution for anything like that. I still remember when Hotmail would purge your email if you weren't online within a 20 or 30 day period. I went on vacation once and didn't have internet access. Lost all my email content. And other companies server problems, etc. ending in loss of data.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
  8. Hermes1

Hermes1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I back up to 3-external hard drives. I would not use the Cloud for those photos I value and/or need access too, or for that matter any data and documents I value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a NAS with 6TB and RAID 5 (4 2TB drives) for backing up all my photos, videos and important documentation. This way even if a drive fails I am safe. I highly recommend NAS storage.

10. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    And what do you do in case of fire, or natural disaster??? Is your backup still safe?

11. DaveAndHolly219

Photos OK to edit
    This sort of thing is exactly why I lean toward cloud storage. I will be investing in an external HDD though to add another level of redundancy to my storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

There are plenty of fireproof and waterproof NAS boxes you can get such as this one:

ioSafe Products 216nas Overview

But a NAS is just a backup I have copies on external drives and laptop. I wouldn't keep just one copy of important data.