Preferred photo storage/backup method?

DaveAndHolly219

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you guys prefer to store/back up your photo library? I'm currently storing my photos (RAW files and finished JPEGs) on a 2TB drive in my PC and then backing everything up to Google Drive. I’m currently paying $1.99/mo for the 100GB option but that 100GB will certainly be used up sooner than later which will require me to bump up to the $9.99/mo 1TB option. This is working fine for me, but I wanted to see what everyone else is doing to see if there may be a better way.

I use an external 3TB drive to back things up. These are around $180 each or so?
I also work on an external 3TB drive

I really do not want all my work on the Cloud, as a backup or not.

Nobody ever said "I wish I hadn't done all that redundant backing up" after a major computer failure. When I was in business I also learned the importance of "alternating" your backup. My total data requirements have gone down but my methods haven't changed. I have 2 external hard drives sized to match my computer. Backups are done weekly. Week 1 - Drive 1 gets the backup, and goes in a fireproof safe, Drive 2 goes in my briefcase. Week 2- Drive 2 gets the backup, and goes in the safe. Drive 1 goes in the briefcase. This process is repeated until I travel, in which case the last one in the briefcase goes with me.

I really do not want all my work on the Cloud, as a backup or not.

Why not? Fear of hacking/theft?
That too. But if you've ever had extended periods of no internet access at home due to this or that problems ... then you'd understand.

I put a lot of aircraft, sky/space photos out there but rarely put portraiture / kids sports stuff. So I err on the side of privacy. There have been instances where that was a good thing.

Some people work on the cloud. I don't have a large internet connection. And sending stuff to/from the cloud takes time. Copying to a local harddisk takes a lot less time. Plus as mentioned above multiple backups are a peace of mind. I already get a lot of errors uploading batch to Flickr. I'd hate to have a backup with errors in it.

I recall years ago when online businesses would go out of business and purge all their (your) data. I don't think it's like that nowadays but I err on the side of caution for anything like that. I still remember when Hotmail would purge your email if you weren't online within a 20 or 30 day period. I went on vacation once and didn't have internet access. Lost all my email content. And other companies server problems, etc. ending in loss of data.

I back up to 3-external hard drives. I would not use the Cloud for those photos I value and/or need access too, or for that matter any data and documents I value.

I have a NAS with 6TB and RAID 5 (4 2TB drives) for backing up all my photos, videos and important documentation. This way even if a drive fails I am safe. I highly recommend NAS storage.

I highly recommend NAS storage.

And what do you do in case of fire, or natural disaster??? Is your backup still safe?

I highly recommend NAS storage.

And what do you do in case of fire, or natural disaster??? Is your backup still safe?

This sort of thing is exactly why I lean toward cloud storage. I will be investing in an external HDD though to add another level of redundancy to my storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the Cloud I backup my processed images in jpeg format. My regular backup is very similar to Smoke665 with two drives that I switch between backing up to, those backup the computer plus the external drive that only has image files.

Then I have a second external drive that is the same as the one with the image files and that receives a copy of the images each time new images are imported from the cameras. That drive also receives a backup of my LightRoom Catalog. This second drive stays behind when I travel. While traveling I make the second copy of new images to USB drives.

I would never trust just one external drive for the backup.

Pairs of external 4TB drives; formerly used matched pairs of DVDs discs of the .NEFS. The DVD discs have become cumbersome as I moved from 2.7 to 6MP to 12Mp and then to 24MP captures...a 4.5 gigabyte DVD disc is fine for exported JPEGs from a shoot or two, but for raw, unprocessed NEFs, it's become too small at today's capture sizes. I back my iPhone images up to the Cloud, and periodically burn them to the drives.

External hard drive for digital photos, and prints of significant images. And the media cards the photos are on. Film negatives, and CDs of scans of the negs, and prints (4x6s and enlargements of anything significant). Scanned copies of alt. process images, digitally made prints of significant ones, and same thing, digital copies of those on hard drive.

Too many online companies have suddenly gone out of business and as someone said, not sure if that happens so much now but seems like if a venture isn't profitable a company may just dump it and site users' photos with little notice.

Most reactions

Back