Print Washing

ksmattfish

Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still
Reaction score
Website
www.henrypeach.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been thinking about and trying to find info on print washing. It's amazingly hard to get straight info/answers on this subject.

I've always used a "white tub washer"; it spins the prints (up to 11x14) around, water comes in the top and drains out the bottom. For my 16x20 prints I've been using a hastily made tray and hose contraption. I follow the paper manufacturers recommendations as far as time goes, and leave the water running the entire time. I use a hypo clear bath with FB paper. I haven't seen any problems with my prints (11x14 and smaller, I just started doing 16x20) yet. The oldest are about 6 years, and show no problems that I can see.

First off, I guess I should be testing my prints. I know that there is some sort of chem that tests if the prints are clear of fixer, but I don't know what it's called, and so I can't find it on supply websites. Does anyone know what this is called or a brand name?

I would like to conserve as much water as possible. I have read that removing fixer from the prints is more about leeching and soaking than moving water. Anyone have any info/experience/opinions on this?

The name "David Vestal" keeps popping up as an expert on this topic, but I can't seem to find his website. It's just people talking about what he said. I'd like to get it from the horse's mouth. Any one have any info on this guy?

I want to build a better print washer for my 16x20 prints (unless it turns out that soaking is sufficient). Anybody made or seen plans for a big DIY printwasher?

Most reactions

Back