Pro photographer? Studio? Clients?

iMpact buLL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just curious how many people here actually do photography for a living? Do you have a studio, clients? What services do you offer your clients in addition to taking and printing photographs?

You might visit here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

This is our section for professional portrait photographers and those looking to enter the business.

I own a photography business and offer portraits, weddings, special events, etc. I offer a wide range of albums to compliment the style of the bride/groom. I also shoot on location a lot so that is something that our company offers that many in the area do not. We have worked out of a home studio with good success.

Looking to start a business of your own or just cheking out the competition? ;)

I think I'm TPF's youngest pro :)

I do photography commercially... as in, I shoot Food, Clothes, and Bottles of Booze (I live in Wine Country) for advertisments and other things.

I have a studio that I run out of my bedroom, for commerical, portrait, and of course, the fine-art things I produce in my spare time.

All this and I'm 17 :D

I do weddings, commercial work, portraits, and traditional BW darkroom work. Occasionally I sell some of my personal work, such as landscapes. I specialize in medium and large format BW film, and hand printed gelatin silver prints. I have my own darkroom, but no studio, so everything is shot on location. Weddings and commercial portraits have been my bread and butter so far, but I'm always up to try new subjects.

Shutterbug said:

I do photography commercially... as in, I shoot Food, Clothes, and Bottles of Booze (I live in Wine Country) for advertisments and other things.

I have a studio that I run out of my bedroom, for commerical, portrait, and of course, the fine-art things I produce in my spare time.

Damn you're lucky. I want to be into commercial photography but I didn't figure that out until a year or so ago. I'm 22. I feel like I've run out of time. like I should have started YEARS ago, but I guess even though I went away to school away from friends and family I still didn't realize how serious I was. i now regret not realizing it sooner and I'm sure its not too late but I cant help think that. So you're 17, and you do this out of your bedroom? Got a big bedroom or something?? lol Do you use window light like I do when I play around with photos? Or are you lucky enough to have studio equipment? Sorry I'm just pinning for answers to help myself. I can't afford anything. I just got a neato idea that I think I can do, but most of my ideas I cant do due to lack of equipment/models/money for props etc. What do you do? I take it you have/had clients to shoot for? How did you get them?

AlisonS said:
You might visit here:

This is our section for professional portrait photographers and those looking to enter the business.

I own a photography business and offer portraits, weddings, special events, etc. I offer a wide range of albums to compliment the style of the bride/groom. I also shoot on location a lot so that is something that our company offers that many in the area do not. We have worked out of a home studio with good success.

Thanks for the link... a little of both, actually. ;) Would it be bad forum nettequette to contact people that have sites up there outside the forum?

iMpact buLL said:
AlisonS said:
You might visit here:

Thanks for the link... a little of both, actually. ;) Would it be bad forum nettequette to contact people that have sites up there outside the forum?

I don't think there's any problem with that if they have given information, though most people are willing to share information right here on the forum....there is also a PM system too :D

Shutterbug said:

:(, and all I do is charity work...puts me to shame....:(

I stopped being a pro when it stopped being fun. That was when the accountants took over and it stopped being about creativity and it started being about adding up.
How I miss the days of the expense account lunch.... ;-)

photong said:
So you're 17, and you do this out of your bedroom? Got a big bedroom or something?? lol Do you use window light like I do when I play around with photos? Or are you lucky enough to have studio equipment? Sorry I'm just pinning for answers to help myself. I can't afford anything. I just got a neato idea that I think I can do, but most of my ideas I cant do due to lack of equipment/models/money for props etc. What do you do? I take it you have/had clients to shoot for? How did you get them?

For lighting I use both Natural Light from the big window in my room a whole lot, but I do own a Norman P2000D strobe kit - 2 boxes and 4 Strobe Heads. My dad was a former pro and the lights were one of the few pieces of equipment I was able to save from his studio when he retired.

Mainly what I do is product work, with a side of some portraits near yearbook time and limited fashion work. So far I've shot for several wineries and wine publications, a couple of small restruants, and my friends family to save them 300 dollars when they need school portraits.

Shutterbug, you're making a living as a photographer at 17?

I don't really know if you can call it "A living" given that I don't have to pay for myself yet. Pretty much everything I make goes into an account for my college tuiton, minus gas money for my Pontiac and film/lens repair/equipment.

and all I do is charity work...puts me to shame...

All I can say is that you have to start somewhere. Originally I did some shooting for the local paper and some odd baby/pet shots for free. I didn't start really charging until I bought my D70 and I could produce pro looking images... :D

pro here - done greenscreening work, portraits, weddings, and lately working on glamour (which I'll be advertising at Victoria's Secret). My thing is that I don't specialize in anything but taking the best exposure of whatever is in front of the lens. Why limit yourself to something like pets?

I have been "pro" since I was 17, I'll be 21 in march, so...whats that...almost 4 years? It's been good so far. I really wouldn't have it any other way. I advertise myself as a portrait and wedding photographer, as those are what I enjoy the most...but I'll shoot anything I can get my hands on, I think that's the key when you are starting out. Don't turn ANY paying job down, build a huge portfolio of images you can turn to. Be the best at everything you can while you're young.

Shutterbug said:
My dad was a former pro and the lights were one of the few pieces of equipment I was able to save from his studio when he retired.

That makes you lucky right there. I don't have any of that. Sure I was given money for a lightmeter, and some free lenses and lukily won a certificate so thats how I got my mini digi in the first place. I have a small window, no money for lights, not much room to work with, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back