Problems with YN468-II and Nikon D3100

corners1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. First post. I'm looking for help. I just got my first external flash, a YN468-II and I'm trying to use it on a Nikon D3100. I can't figure this thing out. Either I'm completely out of my league (very reasonable), or there's something wrong. I've been searching the internet for a couple hours and can't find any answers. I'm trying to rule out user error before sending it back. Here's where I am.

-The flash when connected via hotshoe will not fire in M (manual) mode.
-The flash will fire in TTL mode connected to the camera, but the flash is out of sync with the shutter. Pictures taken with the flash look exactly the same as pictures without the flash. Doing lots of playing around, I've determined the flash is firing a split second before the shutter opens. I can't find any options to adjust this timing.
-off camera triggered by the camera's built in flash, everything works.

Any ideas.

Just one thing ive heard, have you turned the camera on BEFORE the flash? Apparently that can screw things up if you turn the flash on before the camera

Just one thing ive heard, have you turned the camera on BEFORE the flash? Apparently that can screw things up if you turn the flash on before the camera

Thanks for the reply. I actually tried all different combinations of powering on the camera, flash, and mounting. All pics in TTL mode look like no flash at all. I even took pics in front of a mirror and the flash is blank. You can't see the flash at all. None of the flash's light is getting through an open shutter. And yes, the flash is firing, but out of time with the shutter. I just tried it again in a dark room. With flash in TTL mode, flash fires, but picture is just a black screen. Same settings using the built in flash look like a flash went off and the pic is full of light. Weird.

Last edited:
Well, decision made. I'm sending this thing back and picking up an SB-700 like I should have in the first place. It simply does not work with our camera.

I'm going with user error.

I'm going with user error.

Could be user error. Modern flash systems have grown quite complex over the last fifteen years, and sometimes the smallest detail can be overlooked, or unknown, and then things just do not work right. If say, one option is set, a second option might not be available. There is also the possibility of third-party incompatibility, since the Chinese flash makers have to reverse-engineer everything with zero help from Canon or Nikon. But in this case, one ting stands out.

"-off camera triggered by the camera's built in flash, everything works."

Sounds like the flash is set up to work as a "remote flash" AKA "slave"...and it "sees" the on-camera flash firing, and so it fires properly.

I'd look at the way the flash unit is configured, and see if you can get a grip on how it can be set up, in terms of command modes. I do NOT think that the D3100 can act as a "remote flash commander", since that capability is only in the higher-model Nikons, so makes me wonder if the Yongy flash is set to some type of what is called optical slave mode.

I saw some tips the other day. I think you need to try using the "slow" mode for the flash.

I don't know where it is and how it works all I know is I made a mental note to look it up if my flash doesn't work I ordered

Correct on the optical slave. Since the internal flash's timing with the shutter is correct, the flash works.

I still cannot fire the flash in M mode, and TTL mode fires the flash out of sync with the shutter. The flash firs, but the picture is EXACTLY the same as if I turn the flash off.

I cannot find any settings to adjust the timing. They are simply out of sync and I cannot figure out how to correct it. If anyone has any insight, let me know.

if u hold the flash button on the left hand of your camera (with the lightning bolt next to the fn button) you can scroll through the flash modes with the toggle wheel thingy(the one u control aperture/shutter speed with, depending on which mode ur in obv) only realised this the otherday!

Just found this, maybe you're in the wrong flash mode

Correct on the optical slave. Since the internal flash's timing with the shutter is correct, the flash works.

I still cannot fire the flash in M mode, and TTL mode fires the flash out of sync with the shutter. The flash firs, but the picture is EXACTLY the same as if I turn the flash off.

to clarify, the flash work on camera just fine, but it doesn't off camera? did i read that correctly?

to clarify, the flash work on camera just fine, but it doesn't off camera? did i read that correctly?

I think he is saying it is firing, just not at the right time.

how described just doesn't make sense know how TTL and manual flash works.

in manual mode, there should be a black bar if anything if it's out of sync. unless it's so out of sync it missed both curtains completely.

in TTL it should be firing a pulsed burst the covers part of the sensor in each burst.

What shutter speed are you trying it at? and what metering mode is your D3100 set to?

Have you done a 2 green button reset? Usually a good place to start when diagnosing things.

I haven't owned a 468 but I have a 560. You may have it in Manual but set to S1 so you control the power manually but the flash is waiting to be slaved.

You may also have TTL firing but if you have flash exposure compensation dialed down it may appear as not contributing to the image.

Just some thoughts.

TTL flash is MUCH more complicated than making toast, or running the dishwasher... and it's part of the reason I stick to low-tech, manually controlled flashes and Pocket Wizard triggers and pack-and-head flash systems...it's just soooooooooooooo much more direct, and trouble shooting is just faster.

I think the two-button re-set that MOREGONE suggests might be a great place to start. Followed tonight by a perusal of the manual, and also maybe a session with the Chinese-English Transration Posshibirrrities Book open to pages sheven and aaaaight....

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try the factory reset tonight and see if that does anything.

Yes, the flash fires on TTL mode, but ZERO light from the flash makes it through the shutter. Even at very long shutter speeds, no light gets through (because the flash is firing before the shutter opens). The flash will not respond to my camera in M mode.

I'll take a video tonight as well. That might help clear things up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back