PROJECT52

Bo4key

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've committed to do a 52 week project this year to explore my creativity and to improve my photography and skills. I completed a 31 day challenge last year and enjoyed the process but posting something daily proved difficult scheduling wise and also seemed forced at times and you could tell from some of the results. It did, however, help me grow as an amateur and I am looking forward to working at improving more this year.

There isn't a theme to this project but I am committed to planning each shoot and working on executing my vision each week. The hope is to not have many "lucky snapshots" resulting from just shooting random things.

I'll new photos every few weeks.

Here are the first four.

Please, critique away. It's the best way to learn!

Project52 - 1/52 by FourB Photography, on Flickr

For this shot, I had my daughter stand next to a window that was getting indirect sunlight to use as my main light. We wrapped the white backed drape 1/2 to 3/4 around her to create some fill light.

Edited in LR 5 and converted to B&W in Silver Efex Pro

Project52 - 2/52 by FourB Photography, on Flickr

This week's photo was inspired by a 5 minute portrait video from froknowsphoto.com.

Natural Light, from a Sunday hike up Knox Mountain.

Winter Bridge-3/52 by FourB Photography, on Flickr

BX Creek & Falls Trail - Vernon, BC

Went out for a scouting trip and hike for a future shoot of the falls along this trail when the water is higher and to shoot some of the winterscape.

I liked how the sun was shining through the opening and reflecting off the water that was still flowing despite the freezing temperatures. The bridge separates the white snow from the green trees nicely.

Mallard showing off - 4/52 by FourB Photography, on Flickr

A little disappointed with this week's submission. It was a busy week and all I was able to shoot were some mallard ducks while out for a Sunday photowalk with my daughters on Wood Lake. They love the water and seeing the ducks so this week is more about the experience than the final result.

Of note, even at 1/1000 of a second, their wings still move too fast to capture clearly. But, I like how it lends movement to the image.

Good use of the drape and window. I like the shot, but the "pose" is "incomplete"; it's cropped just ever-so-slightly awkwardly. Compare the "perfected pose" here: Reese - window portrait. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The loss of the hand and the window sill is pretty major. It's a beautiful B&W, and the LIGHT and her expression are VERY strong, but I would have much preferred the complete pose framing of the color shot on your Flickr. This B&W has the better expression and the catchlights on her eyes with her looking out are very nice. As a family shot, this is still a total keeper, but in a C&C I need something to "C", right??? I would crop this to a classic square, and remove most of the arm, but leave the window reflection. Trouble with kids this age is you often only get one,two three chances, and then it's...OVER, Daddy! Kid is goooone! Still, a cute photo.

2-Allison in the snow...nice. Love the actual snowing!!! Kind of wish her arm was going around her tummy, think it might look better than having the arm going straight down. LIKE the DOF control on the tree behind, good use of the light that was there, good focus, good use of the lens, good basic place to shoot.

3-Bridge. Not too bad, but not rerally holding my eye...kind of "split" by the bridge, 50-50 on top, 50-50 creek on the bottom...Nice light, but not really "compelling".

4-Mallard flapping his wings....love the slight wing blur. I think among domesticated mallards, that the three drakes around one hen, with the male there showing off means there might be some baby duck-makin' going on soon... I dunno..this shot is "okay"...I like the technique, meaning the focus and shutter speed blur that looks very nice.

Thanks Darrel, constructive as always.

I actually prefer the color version of the picture of my daughter as well but I did the B&W edit first for the project and IIRC did the color edit later in the week. Kicked myself for rushing the process a bit.

I can appreciate the critique on the bridge shot. I was using the 50/50 split to try to differentiate the difference between the green trees and white snow. Probably lost in translatio

On a post - 5/52 by FourB Photography, on Flickr

This week, all I got around to doing was editing a photo from a walk I took a couple weeks ago. (My excuses: sick kid one day, bad weather, month end at work) I was out for a photowalk looking for larger birds and this guy was just hanging out watching me, probably looking for lunch. He stayed on the post for a good ten minutes while I shot different angles and compositions.

#1 is beautiful! I love the shadows, the reflection, the pose, the light! Gorgeous!

I also really love #3 & 5. :D Can't wait to see more of your project. :D

I know what you mean about daily challenges becoming forced, that is exactly the reason why I've avoided them to date. I'm quite tempted, however, to try a 52 week project. A lot will be changing in my life over the next year (graduating/unemployment/moving etc), and I'm curious how it might influence my photography.

Generally like the photos! Quite curious where you'll take this one :)

I know what you mean about daily challenges becoming forced, that is exactly the reason why I've avoided them to date. I'm quite tempted, however, to try a 52 week project. A lot will be changing in my life over the next year (graduating/unemployment/moving etc), and I'm curious how it might influence my photography.

Generally like the photos! Quite curious where you'll take this one :)

I think a 52 week project would be perfect for you then, if nothing else but to document all the changes you have coming up.

The wife and kids and I visited my Aunt & Uncle out of town for the weekend and she builds this beautiful winter scene with a toy train every year in a bay window. I wanted to capture the wonderful light and small details of a project that I am sure takes hours to put together every year. This is just a small part of a much larger scene.

Toy Shop - 6/52 by FourB Photography, on Flickr

Tripod Mounted
35mm
0.3 Sec Exposure
f/8
ISO 200

I used a small table lamp, shade on, camera right and a small gold reflector to spread some light. The rest of the scene is lit by the small lights in the buildings.

Kingfisher 7/52 by FourB Photography, on Flickr

I had spotted this male Belted Kingfisher a few times near Lake Okanagan but was never able to get a decent photo. I visited the same location a few times this week trying to finally capture him. This is the result. Unfortunately he was in the shade but I am fairly happy with how it turned out.

Cropped from original with adjustments in LR.

Last edited:
I like this image primarily because of the colors presented, but If it were mine I would bump up the exposure a bit and straighten him a bit

I like this image primarily because of the colors presented, but If it were mine I would bump up the exposure a bit and straighten him a bit

I'll give it a try. I was worried about bringing up the background exposure much more and making it a distraction.

Edit: I upped the exposure but found that I started to lose detail in the feathers. I think it works though.

Belted Kingfisher Male by FourB Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
I was thinking about something like this

$12583107655_9a786db0b4_b.jpg

I like the edit.

Side note: the noise bugs me in this shot for some reason. I've done noise reduction in LR and only shot at ISO 800 which the 70D should handle no problem. It probably is attributable to the cropping, too. (and I was pixel peeping)

I love the lighting in 6/52. It really brings that scene to life. Keep up the good work!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back