Question about installing nikon pictureproject

Everglades

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all:

I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a nikon d50 and I am wishing to upload some pictures to my desktop. We already own a cannon power shot and my concern is that if I install nikon's pictureproject software that it might overide the canon utilities. Since my wife is familiar with canon's utilities I don't want to interfere with them.

If I install nikon picture project on her computer is it going to create a problem with the canon powershot utilities? Secondly, can I use the Canon software to upload pictures from my new nikon D50?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.

You shouldn't have a problem installing the software...the only issue I foresee...is if you have JPEG images set to open a specific program when you double click. That might get overwritten...but you should have the option to select that...and you can always change it later.

I'm not sure about using the Canon software to upload the Nikon photos...it may be possible...but the software might not read the EXIF data...I don't know.

Personally, I don't upload with any special software. I use a card reader (built-in, in my case) and just drag and drop the files to my hard drive.

Now that you have a D50, I suggest that you learn to use the RAW file capabilities...in which case...you will need to use either the Nikon software or some other RAW conversion software (Raw Shooter Essentials is pretty good).

if you have photoshop or similar graphics program you need no camera software, plug in the usb, it'll come up as "I" drive in my computer, double click till you get the folder with images, hilight all and copy to somewhere you want, photoshop will open jpegs and raws of supported cameras without filling your hd with extra garbage.

I'm with big mike - get a card reader! The rubber door on the USB socket on the D50 is a bit of a pain and I find card readers are a little (not much) faster at transferring data.

I would still install Picture Perfect though as it reads more of the EXIF info than Windows and other generic programs can like lens used and mode when using vari-programs plus as big mike says it allows you to use the raw format.

I just drag and drop my images whether they be RAW or (seldom) JPEG, and import the folder into Adobe Lightroom. From there, I can easily work with all my images in one place with a very powerful and easy toolset.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll go ahead and install the Nikon software. I've already installed on my office computer and it seems to work ok. But now it leads to a follow up question. I also have adobe photoshop on both computers. I've never done much photo editing on the computer, but expect to start that now. Which editing software should I try to master? Photoshop or Nikon PictureProject?

Which editing software should I try to master? Photoshop or Nikon PictureProject?
Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop, Photoshop

Did I say that enough times?

Found a great alternative to picture project - still reports all the EXIF info from D50 pics - in a more user friendly way too! I am getting rid of Picture Project and buying this - it's only £10 (ish) - would still have it along side Photoshop though for more advanced stuff.

http://www.exifpro.com/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back