question about minimal gear for travelling

SBlanca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
stefanoblancaphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey guys, so next week i'm going to Lisbon for a week, i'm actually going to attend two music festivals but I will be doing some sight seeing so I thought i could take my camera..

at first i was staying in a crappy hostel so i wasn't gonna take the camera at all but now we're staying in a 3/4 star hotel so i am going to take it as i will be able to leave it in a safe box whilst i'm at the festival and out at night..

my question is, what would be more apropiate to take, my EF 18-5mm kit lens or my EF 50mm f/1.8 II? taking in account that i don't want to take much equipment (that is, if i can, avoid taking both)..

hope you guys can give me your opinion

thanks a lot
Stefano

Go find a TLR somewhere (they're inexpensive) and get a nice range of film.

Just remember to get a UV filter and a lens hood for color and at least a yellow and orange for B&W.

For landscape and general travel you can't easily beat medium format film.

Sunny 16 applies just remember to take into account the filters.

You'll also be the coolest tourist there! :)

One body, one lens? I would just take a 50 f1.8; these are nice, sharp fastish lenses and won't weigh you down.

take the prime lens.

oh and on a side note, hostels usually have lockers as well.

thanks guys, i also thought about taking the 50 but wasn't very sure..

and about hostels having lockers, this is going to be my third year in a row in lisbon and the two hostels i've been in (20 euros a night) have not had lockers, the one i stayed in last tme didn't even have a lock on the bathroom door, had to use beer crates to stop it from opening

If I were only taking one lens, I would take the zoom. Personally I wouldn't find the 50mm wide enough on a cropped sensor for travel photography.

However these are both small light lenses, I would take both.

i would loose some clothing/luggage/something and take all the gear i can carry. seriously, why get there and wish? the 50mm is soooo small anyway, wrap it in a thick sock and stuff it in your pocket if need be.

if i must pick one, i'd go with the 50mm. photographers worked with that lens for years. you might be glad you have the extra stops, it is smaller and likely sharper.

have fun!

the truth is, although, due to unforeseen circumstances (of the good kind), i am now staying in a 4 star hotel and stuff, i've been there two years in a row and have never been too confident around the centre of the city (where i'm staying). also, im always quite scared of messing up/losing my equipment....i've also heard the two previous times that pickpockets could be about, and although im not gonna put my camera in my pocket because it's virtually impossible i would like to have the least visible expensive things on me...

dunno, think i'm just lacking confidence, but as someone on this forum once said, if you don't take your gear you'll miss the best of shots

I would echo what was said earlier about the TLR. Get something like a Seagull 4BI and a light meter. Your images will be top notch, nobody will want to steal it. Your only issue will be getting the films back without them being too badly damaged by XRays - assuming you fly. I presume you will probably just drive as it's close enough to Gibraltar?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back