Random shots...C&C

PerfectlyFlawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.feliciakelsayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Playing with the new camera....still trying to get a feel for it.
What do you think of these?
Everything was shot on auto mode with the 55-200mm..still learning.lol

DSC_0065.jpg

CSC_0071.jpg

CSC_0085.jpg

CSC_0069.jpg

I like the texture of the tree bark.

The second one looks like it would benefit from a couple things. The auto WB usually does pretty good outside, but it looks a little blue to me. Maybe my eyes are tricking me because of all the sky, but the trees look a little on the blue side to me too. manually setting WB to sunny?
What picture control are you using? I have been using Landscape on my Nikon, I really like it.

The second hydrant looks better than the first to me (the one without flash). Although, it looks like in the first the flash was filling the shadows. Red is one of those colors that can overexpose quick, especially in the sun like that. A wee bit less on the exposure, or neg flash comp might have lifted the shadws withouht making the red so hot. Possibly metering the hot spot of the hydrant (matrix metering will put more weight on where the fous point is). Which is maybe what you did, just a thought about trying to control the red.

I like the texture of the tree bark.

The second one looks like it would benefit from a couple things. The auto WB usually does pretty good outside, but it looks a little blue to me. Maybe my eyes are tricking me because of all the sky, but the trees look a little on the blue side to me too. manually setting WB to sunny?
What picture control are you using? I have been using Landscape on my Nikon, I really like it.

The second hydrant looks better than the first to me (the one without flash). Although, it looks like in the first the flash was filling the shadows. Red is one of those colors that can overexpose quick, especially in the sun like that. A wee bit less on the exposure, or neg flash comp might have lifted the shadws withouht making the red so hot. Possibly metering the hot spot of the hydrant (matrix metering will put more weight on where the fous point is). Which is maybe what you did, just a thought about trying to control the red.

Lol--ur right on the nose. I will post the originals...I forgot I posted the slightly modified ones. The bark is untouched. The sky and trees I experimented with the 'blue filter' adjustment thing in settings.. And the red--same....'Red filter'..it enhances the color. I'll post the originals of those and see how it works?....the two hydrants were just slightly different angles--more fence in one than the other...

It was suggested to me that I get off of auto back when I was using my XTi and it was probably the best thing you can do to start learning. Using Auto is fun when you've got a new camera because you want to see the pictures it can produce but the truth is with some time and effort in each shot you can produce a much better photograph than the camera's automatic system can.

Its important even when you know very little to get off of auto and put the sucker into manual and start taking pictures, adjusting the settings along the way. This way, you can see what settings affect your final product and how they do so, so you can learn through mistakes. I've read and learned a lot here on the forum and in all the books suggested here and elsewhere, but its important you pick up the camera and try these things yourself so you can practically learn, not just in theory. Due to work I typically only have very dark hours of the day to try things, so most of mine are around the house and not interesting, but by trying to achieve various results you can learn along the way.

I made sure when I got my 50D in the mail that it would never see the little green box (Full Auto) or P modes :p

nice pictures though :) now put it into manual and get shooting!

It was suggested to me that I get off of auto back when I was using my XTi and it was probably the best thing you can do to start learning. Using Auto is fun when you've got a new camera because you want to see the pictures it can produce but the truth is with some time and effort in each shot you can produce a much better photograph than the camera's automatic system can.

Its important even when you know very little to get off of auto and put the sucker into manual and start taking pictures, adjusting the settings along the way. This way, you can see what settings affect your final product and how they do so, so you can learn through mistakes. I've read and learned a lot here on the forum and in all the books suggested here and elsewhere, but its important you pick up the camera and try these things yourself so you can practically learn, not just in theory. Due to work I typically only have very dark hours of the day to try things, so most of mine are around the house and not interesting, but by trying to achieve various results you can learn along the way.

I made sure when I got my 50D in the mail that it would never see the little green box (Full Auto) or P modes :p

nice pictures though :) now put it into manual and get shooting!
Sounds intimidating! Lol
But ill give it a try---cant hurt!

Sounds intimidating! Lol
But ill give it a try---cant hurt!

Heh, yeah it can be, just be patient and don't be in a hurry. Try the same picture with a variety of settings and be aware and deliberate about what you are changing each time you do so. In a few months (as I am now) you'll look back and realize that shooting in auto was really holding you back from understanding and making practical use of all the knowledge you've been reading.

No fear! :)

Here are the Originals . No red filtering. No Blue. Just as is (auto mode)

DSC_0068.jpg

Shot as is, there still bright red! LOL:lol:

DSC_0066.jpg

I cant remember which one out of the two landscapes was the original..:confused:
So heres both...i may have added green filtering to the top one. And i believe the 2nd landscape is the original. mountains look out of focus..but im getting there. (which looks better?)

CSC_0070.jpg

CSC_0084.jpg

I see the difference without the red added.:lol:
In the landscape shots I prefer the second one.

Red is one of those colors that can overexpose quick, especially in the sun like that.

I like the original fire hydrant pics better. Yeah they are still red (don't think you can change that legally) but I think being able to see the texture of the paint creates a greater depth of field. Also, I don't mind the shadows, they help to give a more third dimensional look to it. I also like the fence behind when I can see the top. I don't like that sign behind it because I keep looking at it trying to figure out what it says (must be my ADD, Squirrel!)

I agree with mrmacedonian about getting off the auto mode. When I got my first DSLR, I had used it in auto and was appalled at the pics I was getting. Started using manual and learning about the apertures, iso and shutter speed. Opened a whole new world up to me and I've only had it for a few weeks now.

P.S. If you haven't seen the movie UP!, you won't get the Squirrel joke.:lmao:

I like the original fire hydrant pics better. Yeah they are still red (don't think you can change that legally)

The hydrants in my town are blue.

I agree with mrmacedonian about getting off the auto mode. When I got my first DSLR, I had used it in auto and was appalled at the pics I was getting. Started using manual and learning about the apertures, iso and shutter speed. Opened a whole new world up to me and I've only had it for a few weeks now.

^^^ I agree with getting off of auto mode as well. I don't have a DSLR yet ( :cry: ) but I did just recently purchase a Canon G11 that has full manual. I took pictures in auto mode for a couple of days, and then started shooting in manual, and I love it. The pictures look so much better.

I have been shooting all of my shots in manual the last month...but I cheat a little.
When I am shooting and am not too sure of the settings (99% of the time), I will put the camera into one of the program modes, depress the shutter, and look to see what the camera is set at. That gets me close and then I experiment.

It looks like the bark photo had the flash on. In my opinion, most outdoor photos are better without flash. Occasionally, I'll use some fill flash when I'm shooting people backlit or in the shade, but other than that cancel the flash.

Have you got a book that explains the interlacing effects of sensitivity, shutter speed, and aperture? That book would probably also have a good section on the elements of composition.

I agree about getting off of auto. When I'm feeling lazy, I put it in program, not auto. Auto takes too many liberties. (automatically popping up the flash, for instance) Program at least gives you exposure compensation to work with and doesn't assume you always want flash instead of a longer shutter speed.

Looked at that first pic again. Definitely looks like flash shadow.

Also, I think it would benefit from using a smaller aperture and a longer shutter speed, to get more of the bark in focus.

The landscape picture is missing something. The way you included the tree and put it down in the corner was good, but there is just not enough else going on to make it a super good pic. Some more clouds would have been good. Something else in the foreground would help too.

I like the second fire hydrant photo better, but I'm not sure what you were trying to show. You think it's cute? Just a lot of color? Or just playing around with the new camera?

Also, if you don't have a good tripod yet, get one. You don't need a multi-hundred dollar one. Just one of the larger aluminum Sliks would do fine. I have a U8000 that cost about $60 that I just love. This will free you from worries of shutter speeds too slow to hand-hold and concentrate on the effects of aperture. It will also allow you to always shoot on the least sensitive sensitivity setting, giving the least amount of grain and the sharpest images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back