RAW file problems

impotent kite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wondering how I can open my RAW images in photoshop CS2. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them open. I can view them in my Microsoft image gallery program but I can't edit them at all because photoshop refuses to open them, because of this I can't use them for anything else either because I can't change them to a jpg format either. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks! :hug::

Welcome to the forum.

What camera are these files from?
Photoshop uses a sub-program called Adobe Camera RAW, to open raw files. For every new camera that comes out, A.C.R. has to be updated before it can open the files. So the first thing to try, is to download the latest version of A.C.R. for CS2 from Adobe.com.

That might be a problem because at some point, they stop updating ACR for older versions of Photoshop. So if you have a very new camera model, you may not be able to find an update that will work for you. (Adobe wants you to update your version of Photoshop).

There are a few other ways to get around this though. One would be to use the software that came with your camera. It will open your RAW files and you can then make adjustments and save the images as JPEG or TIFF etc. You can then open those files in Photoshop.

Another option would be to download Adobe's RAW converter program (free). It converts RAW files to DNG (Adobe's own RAW format). You can then open those DNG files in older versions of Photoshop.

Thanks for the help. The images are coming off a Rebel XS so I'm going to guess that the camera is probably to new for the program. Do you happen to know where I can find the DNG program you were talking about? I would assume it's just on adobe's site correct?

Adobe Bridge will get all your .raw files from your memory card and convert them to .DNG.
Since DNG is an archival format, it retains pretty much all the image data that was in the RAW file.
So you're still editing a RAW file when editing the DNG.
It also gives you the option to embed the original RAW file within the DNG.
CS2 was the 1st version to have Bridge bundled witth it.
So you certainly have Bridge, you just didn't know it or didn't know you could do it that way.
So there's no misunderstanding, the app is called 'DNG converter' not RAW converter.
It's the same thing.
I'm not trying to say "I know more than you" because you typed it wrong, and I'm not being a word nazi, but I could see someone that's not real experienced not being able to find it because they're looking for "RAW converter".
I know a few people that would surely make that mistake because they're intimidated by working with digital images and think PS is too daunting.
So they second guess themselves, and wouldn't attempt to just try it because they're afraid of making a mistake.
It's the same logic that prevents many people from learning to really use a computer, because to them a computer is powered by some mystical form of magic that's beyond their comprehension.
And if they hit the wrong key or do something wrong, the computer will self destruct.
That phenomenon makes me laugh everytime I encounter it.

Thanks for the help. The images are coming off a Rebel XS so I'm going to guess that the camera is probably to new for the program. Do you happen to know where I can find the DNG program you were talking about? I would assume it's just on adobe's site correct?

Yes, its a free download from Adobe.

The DNG converter (currently v5.6) is here:

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 5.6 update

I also suggest that you upgrade the Camera RAW plugin (but not the DNG Converter) in your PS/CS2 to the newest that is compatible (v3.7) from this page (scroll down):

Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows

Most reactions

New Topics

Back