RAW

Eddie_uv777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok so I own a nikon D40 and I know you can shoot in RAW but I don't think I fully understand all about RAW and also I took a sampl shot in RAW (NEF) it didn't let me open it in photoshop why is that?

You need the latest adobe camera raw software.

Do a google search or search here for lots of info on the use of RAW files.

What version of Photoshop do you have, for the D40 and my D40x we have to CS3 version. Nikon has software Capture NX or something like that. I found freeware Picasa2 can read NEF files and convert them, but editing while in RAW format is limited. You could also use Lightroom (adobe) and it will allow you to interface into older version of Photoshop nicely. Most of these programs I mentioned have trial versions to ensure you like them before spend a ton of cash. Well that's my two cents worth, I expect my check to be in mail!!!

I use RawShootEssentials and love it. You need a conversion program which is why you aren't allowed to open in PS.

Why you'd want to shoot RAW? More control, more color range, more forgiveness if you make a mistake and want to correct... all at the cost of huge files.

There should PLENTY of info on the details of RAW if you search it in the forums or Google.

Your camera should have came with a program called Picture Project. While it is not the best editing program around, it will allow you to experiment with Raw.

You can download ACR from adobe.com if you have photoshop or photoshop elements as well. It works reasonably well but doesn't always interpret the settings the camera used when taking the picture. This means you will need to do a fair amount of tweeking to get a good image in some cases.

Hope this helps.

Tommy
http://www.tlmartin.com

Download a free 30 day trial of CaptureNX and the tutorials to see if you like it. Also, here is a link to a RAW v. JPEG debate http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87596
I personally think you should allways shoot in RAW because you never know when you are going to take a photo that just completely appeals to you and deserves to be framed and sit phatly on your wall. (man we really need a 2 cents smiley:wink:).

have a good one
3Eo

A photo does not need to be shot in RAW to be frameworthy... even in a 24x30 inch size.

First question, understanding RAW: rmh159 put it nicely: your camera has the ability to record the data as captured, whereas shooting in JPG means that your camera will take the image, and apply certain settings such as white balance, sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc, and then discard the remaining data in order to compress it. The resulting JPG is a compressed file. RAW means that all that data is still present, so you can go back afterward to make changes from the original file. Whether RAW or JPG is the right way to shoot depends on your needs, your workflow, and the trust you have in achieving a specific shot quality right in the camera.

Almost all recent versions of Photoshop (Elements, CS2, CS3, Lightroom, etc) can deal with RAW files. As EOS_JD said, all Photoshops need updates to allow newer cameras' RAW files to be opened within Adobe Camera Raw, the application designed within and for Photoshop to deal with RAW files. Your camera came to market after your version of Photoshop shipped, so go to the Adobe page and find the latest version of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw.) The latest version is all you need, as they simply add in whatever cameras have come to market. No need to do an incremental update. Thre are very clear installation instructions at the site as well.

There are other applications that will do RAW processing as well. The best is typically the one that comes with the camera, because the manufacturer is the only compnay that knows the algorhythm, everyone else simple reverse-engineers it. So Capture NX is the way to go, but some people (incl. me) simply prefer to keep their workflow within Photoshop.

Adobe bought Raw Shooter, they've discontinued most versions except the free basic one, and that will probably go the way of the Dodo soon as well, or be reintroduced with a Photoshop GUI. Don't spend too much time on it.

Good luck.

On the flip side Sabbath is right. If the camera is very new to you, you may want to start working in jpeg and honing your photography skills before you attempt to squeeze every last ounce of detail out of your photographs. Even then this can sometimes be difficult to do unless you know the details of how a JPEG file is formed from raw data.

RAW is a great way though to fix up white-balance mistakes since this is entirely a software adjustment made after the sensor has captured the image. White balance can be adjusted perfectly on RAW files but not on JPEGs.

Most reactions

Back