Really Confused By Raw

Rogan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got my 20D yesterday

so decided to put it in raw and shoot like that as reccomended many times on here

so i got home, plugged it in and i cant see any of the photos in the folders in windows explorer, nor can i import them into Lightroom

i downloaded the CR2 converter off canons website, i still cant see or convert the files

( i can see them on the camera)

thanks

rogan

i use picasa from Google it can handle my RAW. files really good. and then if you really want you can save in jpeg. :cokespit:

thats not the problem

i cant see the files at all in windows

theyre like non existant

Try using the open with command and select windows picture/photo viewer. It might not show them, but it also might try searching for the drivers to do so - so make sure its allowed online and connected. Mine did not show my RAWs at first (canon 400D) then it picked up the driver - if it continues to not perform then best thing is to shoot in RAW+JPEG and get some larger memory cards

Assuming that you really do mean there's no file there, are you sure that you've explored all of the directorys on the memory card? Can you view the files on the camera? You say you plugged 'it' in; does that mean you plugged the card directly into a reader, or connected the camera via USB cord? If the latter, it may be a menu setting; with Nikons there are two settings, one so that the computer will simply see it as a mass storage device and automatically mount the memory card as a removable drive, and a second so that you can control the camera via computer-based software. Is there a possibility that this setting isn't made correctly?

Try viewing the card directly via card reader, check the properties an verify that memory has been used. If that's the case (guessing 15-20Mb/image in RAW) then they're there, it's just a matter of finding them.

im plugging the camera into the comptuer
i dont have a card reader

when i lug it in the camera appears in My Computer as Canon 20D
then theres 3 folders in that of which i cant see the names of its jsut blank
and then in the 3 folders i can only see the JPG iamges, no raw images, by cant see i mean theres NOTHING there, not jsut a blank icon.
i can see the pictures on my camera fine

and even when i use the camera in FTP mode not jsut normal mode (communication) it still only shows the JPG images

when i plug it in the camera appears in My Computer as Canon 20D
then theres 3 folders in that of which i cant see the names of its jsut blank
and then in the 3 folders i can only see the JPG iamges, no raw images, by cant see i mean theres NOTHING there, not jsut a blank icon.

Are you sure you have your camera set to raw? If the camera is set only to raw, there should be no jpeg files of those photos. Unless you had it set to jpeg + raw. You should still be able to see that there are raw files (cr2 extension).

EDIT: I bet I know what's up. Are you using the icon exposure modes like portrait, landscape, sports, etc...? I think you can only shoot raw in M, Av, Tv, and P exposure modes.

no i changed it from raw to JPG until i can figure how to get the raw files off,

and im shooting in Av and manual

with my 30d my photoshop program did not have the capabilities to see the raw as it was older than my camera, after installing the relevent bits I was able to view in photoshop elements, did you make sure you go all the correc t things installed?

You can see them on your camera, so the pictures exist; odd that you're not seeing "Unknown" icons, however, I think Rachel's got it. Start by installing this update for your computer (I assume you're using Windows XP, therefore go here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8e-b10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&displaylang=en ) As well, you'll likely have to update whichever image-editing apps you're using too.

Oh, and I'd recommend spending $10 - 20 on a card reader and using that vice plugging in your camera. The more direct the connection the fewer the errors are likely to crop up.

my cameras the 20D and i have photosho[p CS3 and lightroom 2 so they shud both be up to date

just downloaded that tirediron

i still cant see them <.<

gah!

my cameras the 20D and i have photosho[p CS3 and lightroom 2 so they shud both be up to date

just downloaded that tirediron

i still cant see them <.<

gah!

"Curiouser and curiouser!", said Alice (Well, John really, Alice isn't here).

Let's start from square one. If possible format the card in the camera (this will erase ALL data from the card, so if these are important images, skip this step.)

Make ten RAW exposures (just fire the shutter ten times)

Make ten .jpg exposures

Connect the camera

Right-click on the drive-icon in "My computer" and see how much space is used up

Search the card for ".CR2"

it doesnt appear as a drive letter
it appears as Canon 20D

in scanners and cameras

gahh i cant search it

it doesnt appear as a drive letter
it appears as Canon 20D

in scanners and cameras

gahh i cant search it

Okay, then I'm pretty sure my initial thought about a USB mode being the problem was correct. You'll need to rummage through the manual and see if there are settings to change so that it appears as a mass-storage/removable drive in "My Computer".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back