Realtor Amateur

realtor amateur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi my name is Vera I am a Realtor looking to buy a new camera to stand out above the rest....Clarity, Lighting, Full Room view, Quality photos is my goal....Was wondering if you guys would be so kind to help me out....I always have to enhance and brighten my photos....from what I am reading I need a camera with a high ISO to help with the lighting issues. Would you agree? Or do you feel an external flash is a miracle worker?
Been Reading about the Nikon D5300 12,800 ISO with lower noise....then realize the D5500 is coming out Feb 5 and will have a 25,600 ISO that will auto adjust....
Was also considering Nikon D7100 6400 ISO but being an amateur is it a challenge to learn? Readings on it takes more to learn. Are the pictures far worth the extra grief of me learning it....much better than a 5300? Sounds like it auto focus's but has a lot of setting I will need to learn....

Would you choose D7100, D5300 or D5500 ? From reading I can tell you have the experience to help advise me and I would so appreciate.....

If you are just starting out, I'd recommend getting either the D5300 or D5500 and getting the Nikon 10-24 (or Tokina 11-16 2.8) ultra wide angle lens and also picking up a sturdy tripod and do long exposures that way you can keep the ISO down and you'll have really clear and sharp noise free images.

I never really done real estate photography, but I've seen several videos on YouTube about and that's what I'd totally recommend you do before buying. Dom Bower is very good at it and has several videos on that subject. Look him up.

Thank you so much for your quick reply....I read about that lense in particular as well ...it cost as much as the camera LOL but I read a good lens produces a better photo and quality is the whole reason I am doing this.....Long exposure? I have more learning and camera terminology to Learn. :calm:
Will I need external flash or just the camera flash?

Guess I should have asked do you feel there would be another camera that would work better?
Best buy told me the Nikon 5200 so that is why I was researching those. I was just reading about DX versus FX

I've done a bit of real estate photography myself many years ago. The goal will be to even out outside and inside exposure and to creat a certain kind of mood in your photos. You have to know how to light the scene or decide which part of the scene will have proper exposure. It's a lot more than just a good camera and quality lens. You have to know what to do and when to do it.

..from what I am reading I need a camera with a high ISO to help with the lighting issues. Would you agree? Or do you feel an external flash is a miracle worker?
There is a huge difference in the LOOK, which is what sets good photography apart from the humdrum.

In my opinion the better architectural photography is enhanced by external flash (probably several of them).

Just boosting the ISO will not yield the kind of lighting effects that you get with external flash(es).

From your OP, I gather you have some money to work with, but I would like to remind you that the camera is only one part of the entire package.

You will want to get one or two really nice lenses and some lighting equipment, so consider that.

There is a learning curve as well, so be ready to immerse yourself in the art and craft of photography to learn how to make exceptional photographs. Consult the architectural magazines to see what good photography looks like.

My recommendation for now is get the best you can afford, learn with that, and be ready to purchase lighting equipment when you are ready to learn that.

If you always need to enhance and brighten your photos, it sounds like you need to work on getting proper exposures before you spend money on a more expensive camera.

If you're taking pictures indoors in low or mixed lighting (such as bright light coming in a window into a darker interior) that can be more challenging in getting a good exposure, and you'd need to learn how to light an interior if you use lighting equipment. I'd suggest taking a class to learn how to do that, and it will take practice.

Maybe think about the cost and time commitment of buying and learning to use the equipment you're considering, compared to what would be involved in contracting with a photographer, so you can get the good professional quality photos you need for your real estate business.

The camera body and the lens each have a different job. Depending on the tasks you need done depends on which of the two will meet your needs. For real estate some of what you need is wide angle, sharpness and good DOF. The camera can be relatively basic since you don't need features that a working pro would need such as super fast focus, strong metal case, fast frames per second, etc.
If you can afford a full frame sensor and a top of the line Nikon lens that would be nice but you could do real estate pictures with a D53oo and a Tamron WA lens. Not going to compete with a pro with all their lights and top of the line equipment.
Personally I think paying a pro to do the pictures pays for itself.

but I would like to remind you that the camera is only one part of the entire package.

There is a learning curve as well, so be ready to immerse yourself in the art and craft of photography to learn how to make exceptional photographs. Consult the architectural magazines to see what good photography looks like.

Maybe think about the cost and time commitment of buying and learning to use the equipment you're considering, compared to what would be involved in contracting with a photographer, so you can get the good professional quality photos you need for your real estate business.

These two snips go together to make sensible advice.

My neighbor is a realtor and, after trying to go the same route as you, he gave up and just pays me to shoot his listings.
I can do in a half hour plus minimum editing what he couldn't do at all.

If you want to be a photographer, be a photographer.
If you want to get decent pictures, get someone else to do it. It will be cheaper and better.

.I always have to enhance and brighten my photos....from what I am reading I need a camera with a high ISO to help with the lighting issues. Would you agree?

no i do not.

hire a photography to take the most awful HDR images and youll sell in no time.

Most reactions

Back