reasons for not using olympus

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have an olympus and i have some likes and dislikes.... what do you think is the reason why all of my friends use canon ( a few use nikon) and probably a huge majority of this forum users use nikon or canon, and the world probably lol.

Give it a rest.
It's getting old really fast.
Getting a Canon isn't gonna help you make better pictures, until you know how to make better pictures.

Two of my friends use Olympus, and they take great photographs. :er:

And I have a couple of pro friends that make killer images with Olympus gear and make truck loads of money doing it.

But Nikon and Canon have 85% of the dSLR camera market, mostly because of name recognition and more advertising.

At this point in the game, on a worldwide basis, Nikon out sells Canon by a slight margin.

Marketing, and the fact that "everyone else is doing it." With so many nikon/canon people out there, it's just that much easier in finding used stuff too.

How many threads are you going to make about it? We all know you have olympus gear, and are struggling to use it. Either change to canon, or don't. Everything you could possibly need to know to persuade you has already been discussed.

I agree with all above.

But learn to use what you have, It will do you good. Canon or Nikon wont help.

yep!....people in the distant past have taken great photo's with a Box Brownie....go out and take 100's of photo's and then some more..learn from them, better still, do a weekend course!

Oh crap, Olympus sucks? Im gonna sell everything!

BRB, I am going to make a thread with all my gear up for sale...

Last edited:
Just go ahead and switch to canon. Then you can make threads about wanting to switch to nikon.

I'd say, get over it.

But to answer the question:
- DOF: I enjoy having a shallow depth of field without having to go for a lens that has f/1.something.
- More noise as a result of the 2x FOVCF sensor.

Biggest problem is that most newbies don't have the patience to learn the craft and the art of photography.

Having a camera does not make one a photographer any more than does having a pallette and canvas make one an artist, or a scalpel make one a brain surgeon, or having a hot car make them a race car driver. There is a learning curve to anything that is worthwhile.

They see DIGITAL imaging, which fits right into this culture of instant gratification. Photography is a craft, and takes time to learn. I have been shooting for 40 years and still don't know it all, I learn something every time I go out shooting.

The newbie takes what they recognize as good shots, which many of us see as overexposed or underexposed, poorly composed snapshots, and they are offended when their "work" gets less than stellar c&c, or they are so bad that many of us decline to even comment on some of them because we will be perceived as being too harsh or rude (a/k/a honest).

Photography requires math, and physics (and film darkroom work requires chemistry), and takes three elements of film speed, shutter speed, and aperture, along with distance from camera to subject, and type, amount, and direction (from camera and subject) of a light source to combine those bits of an equation to make a photographic image. Then, the quality of that image depends upon how we used those elements in our equation (shot), along with our eye/talent for composition, which all combine to make the finished product/shot.

But all those things take time to learn, then once one learns the basics, one can creatively use those equations to create their own style of shooting.

Composition can also be learned to some point, but much of that comes natural, and some people don't have the "eye" for composition, and some never will. Some will become a good photographer if they want to, others might just as well take up golf or tennis, but, oops, those also take time to learn, and equipment means little if you don't take the time and effort to learn how to use it properly.

But learning takes time, which many don't seem to have the patience to want to do. Easier to just ask a question here than to read instruction book, find information in a book, search on internet or here in TPF - it is much easier to just ask than to do some research to find out for oneself.

Like said before, a good, even a knowledgeable photographer can take a good shot with a Brownie box camera, and they can be had for $20.00. You can do a lot with a $50.00 or less digital p&s, it just doesn't take a DSLR to learn basic photography.

Photography is 90% + "between the ears" but most people don't seem to want to do what it requires and spend however long it takes to initialize and load those memory banks.

And this post won't help because those people will never change. Seems like nearly 1/2 of the discussions we see here on TPF are some twist on this same issue because people ask first before they search and read. So instead of all of us being able to spend time more constructively and moving on, we get to keep a'knocking on this same old door...

Photography should be fun, and affordable. If you can't take good shots with what you have, $1,000 worth of camera body and another $1,000 worth of a better lens won't help that much, as you still have to learn to use it properly.

Rant over, so you can now flame away.

Sorry, just that this is a part of one of my biggest pet peeves in all of photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back