reasons for not using olympus

I think it was the early 70's a napkin with a ball point pen sketch on it sold at auction for a little over $15,000. Back then 15K was a lot of money, the artist was Pablo Picasso. No one ever asked what kind of pen he used. Parker? Bic? Papermate? Cross? No one cared.

I think it was the early 70's a napkin with a ball point pen sketch on it sold at auction for a little over $15,000. Back then 15K was a lot of money, the artist was Pablo Picasso. No one ever asked what kind of pen he used. Parker? Bic? Papermate? Cross? No one cared.

That's because the only thing that mattered at that point was whether or not the pin had ink in it.

Now if you were doing something like taking a picture of an outdoor scene to get sky trails, the person with the tripod and the camera which could take a long exposure without the sensor over heating and causing very vivid image anomalies would have the better picture that's more likely to sell rather than the photo with the orange sky and hot pixels.

I'm just saying...

This relentless bashing and ridiculing of the original poster over the entire length of this thread, and in TWO OTHER threads, by the same people, is becoming more and more like a campaign of personal character bashing, insulting comments about a beginner's skill level and proficiency, and stalking behavior. Seriously--those who are following the OP around and bashing on him in this thread and in two others need to really just let this slide.

The comments about the E510 are missing one of the central probklems that camera suffers from: a very SMALL viewfinder image size, and frankly, a very poor viewfinder. The bad viewfinder and the degree of judging accurate focus, and the degree of difficulty in using the camera while wearing eyeglasses are listed as two of the most serious faults in the dPreview review of the E510. Some d-slr bodies, like the e510 and the Nikon D50 for example, have what I call "crap viewfinders". As in really,really,really poor viewfinders. Far below the level of clarity or ease of use of the majority of APS-C or 4/3 cameras.

What we seem to have is an inexperienced user with an E510 and a 30-year-old manual focus 50mm 1.8 Zuiko lens with no auto diaphragm control, and he's having difficulty getting good results. For various reasons. Such as he can't afford the high price for the 50mm f/2.8 AF prime Olympus makes in 4/3 mount. We get it....he's having some difficulties--and about HALF of the problem is the E510's weak finder and lack of Autofocusing, and the other half is the user's inexperience. Can we now stop bashing this guy in three threads?

Can we now stop bashing this guy in three threads?

Point well taken.

But can he stop making a new thread each day asking about the same thing? I haven't bashed the guy, but I'm getting annoyed each time I look through the new posts and see thread titles like, "reasons for not using olympus", "should I switch to canon/nikon?", etc. by him. People keep giving him advice, and he isn't doing crap with it. He keeps making these silly threads whining about why he can't focus here, or why he can't afford a good lens. It's hard to keep taking him seriously when he's just going to turn around and make another thread because he can't make a decision on his own to either get rid of his current gear or keep it.

Can we now stop bashing this guy in three threads?

Point well taken.

But can he stop making a new thread each day asking about the same thing? I haven't bashed the guy, but I'm getting annoyed each time I look through the new posts and see thread titles like, "reasons for not using olympus", "should I switch to canon/nikon?", etc. by him. People keep giving him advice, and he isn't doing crap with it. He keeps making these silly threads whining about why he can't focus here, or why he can't afford a good lens. It's hard to keep taking him seriously when he's just going to turn around and make another thread because he can't make a decision on his own to either get rid of his current gear or keep it.

I agree, this is not really 'bashing', but people just getting annoyed.
What the OP needs to learn is to make the effort to help himself, take the time to read and to use his camera and learn from that, buy or even better, borrow from the local library books on beginners photography.
He'll start to learn more about photography in general and can then submit meaningful questions on forums to which fellow members would be more than willing to help out with.

This relentless bashing and ridiculing of the original poster over the entire length of this thread, and in TWO OTHER threads, by the same people, is becoming more and more like a campaign of personal character bashing, insulting comments about a beginner's skill level and proficiency, and stalking behavior. Seriously--those who are following the OP around and bashing on him in this thread and in two others need to really just let this slide.

The comments about the E510 are missing one of the central probklems that camera suffers from: a very SMALL viewfinder image size, and frankly, a very poor viewfinder. The bad viewfinder and the degree of judging accurate focus, and the degree of difficulty in using the camera while wearing eyeglasses are listed as two of the most serious faults in the dPreview review of the E510. Some d-slr bodies, like the e510 and the Nikon D50 for example, have what I call "crap viewfinders". As in really,really,really poor viewfinders. Far below the level of clarity or ease of use of the majority of APS-C or 4/3 cameras.

What we seem to have is an inexperienced user with an E510 and a 30-year-old manual focus 50mm 1.8 Zuiko lens with no auto diaphragm control, and he's having difficulty getting good results. For various reasons. Such as he can't afford the high price for the 50mm f/2.8 AF prime Olympus makes in 4/3 mount. We get it....he's having some difficulties--and about HALF of the problem is the E510's weak finder and lack of Autofocusing, and the other half is the user's inexperience. Can we now stop bashing this guy in three threads?

Derrel, do you think you can get a sharp enough photo with OP's setup? I think you can because of your experience. And that is what OP is lacking at this point, it is lack of understanding why his photos were soft. And what he can do to improve it.

Will buying a new camera and lens solve the problem? Maybe, or maybe not. However, if OP can take the good advice here and he maybe able to improve a lot.

I have the exact same camera and the exact same lens, and I have given him specific pointers on how to use the lens without the viewfinder to get perfect focus through Live View. He has yet to respond to any of those comments in any of the threads.

Yes, the VF in the 510 is too small. However, LV provides an excellent workaround for manual focus lenses. You can also take into account he didnt know what the diopter was, and its likely it was set off the entire time he was getting poor results. For all we know, he actually was nailing the focus, if not for the diopter.

I find it irksome because he wants to blame Olympus, and in this case, I dont think the camera or any limitations of the 4/3 system are the culprit with this individual.

Disagree. These people are not honestly looking for help and learning from it, they want everything handed to them on a silver platter. They want to be a professional photographer by everyone telling them exactly what they should do, instead of learning on their own. The biggest point is, they ask for feedback and do nothing with the feedback, its pointless. I am a helpful person, I love to give feedback and advice to people who care and who will listen, thats not the case with these few.

I think he left the thread. Why would he stay around for more jeers and put-downs and snotty comments? The people FOLLOWING HIM around to additional threads, some Olympus users themselves, have done basically NOTHING to help. Nothing at all, just catcalls and put-downs and defense of Olympus. I was trying to redirect the discussion more toward helpful suggestions, or just better behavior on the part of respondents--even if the behavior consisted of ignoring the guy.

I think he left the thread. Why would he stay around for more jeers and put-downs and snotty comments? The people FOLLOWING HIM around to additional threads, some Olympus users themselves, have done basically NOTHING to help. Nothing at all, just catcalls and put-downs and defense of Olympus. I was trying to redirect the discussion more toward helpful suggestions, or just better behavior on the part of respondents--even if the behavior consisted of ignoring the guy.

Nothing to help?? have you read all the threads, multiple people have tried to help, its hard to keep trying and trying to help when someone doesnt listen and does not care. I am not for putdowns and negativity, but whats the point of helping someone who could care less.

Oh, the irony of it all.

Coming from the guy who takes great pride in insulting and talking down to people.

Before deriding others about their behavior, why don't you get your own house in order first?

Lies.

As to the "following around" comment...please. I only view this forum, and am free to respond as I see fit, as is everyone. It's not "following" anyone.
Other Olympus users have tried to help.

Your high horse is pretty. Can I pet it?

Most reactions

Back