reasons for not using olympus

Every cameras have limitation. And new technologies comes out every years. Your camera may not be the best on the market nor best within the same group. But it is still a very capable camera.

We had a forum member here took some photos with his/her cell phone. When the photos were post, everybody were amazed. Of course, the photos were processed, but it is amazed what a cell phone camera can do when it is in a good hands.

And you have a capable DSLR camera. You should be able to use it and take great photos with it. Remember, it is you, not the camera who press the button. If I were you, I will learn more about how to take advantage of your current setup, learn more about photography, know about exposure, master the DoF and play with lightning.

When you really run into the REAL limitation of your current setup, of course, you should upgrade your hardware. But you know what, I am sure you will not even need to ask everyone here for direction because you 100% know what it will take to bring you to the next level.

Also, I'd like to point out again, even if you can take a photo at F/1.8, it doesn't mean you need to take it at F/1.8.

Try it with F/4 or F/5.6 and see if it is easier to have the subject in focus.
If the subject is about 10 feet from the camera, and your camera is set at F/4. With the 50mm lens, the DoF is about 1.45 feet. So it should have more room for the focus error. (vs 0.64 feet with F/1.8 aperture). I guess you just need to try it to see it for yourself.

And in order to maximize the Bokeh effect, you may want to select the background which is far away from the subject so that you do not need to take the photo at F/1.8 but still able to create a nice Bokeh.

Using a telephoto lens may also a good choice for portrait shots with nice blur background (outdoor).

i have an olympus and i have some likes and dislikes.... what do you think is the reason why all of my friends use canon ( a few use nikon) and probably a huge majority of this forum users use nikon or canon, and the world probably lol.

There are a multitude of reasons. Large sensor, so better quality. Less noise; Olympus's noise reduction tends to make the photos look some what plasticy and they lose detail. Cost and availability of lenses. Canon and Nikon have rather large lens lineups where you can also find used stuff very easily. Bodies and features. Olympus's entry level bodies are very feature rich compared to Canon and Nikon, but Olympus doesn't have cameras like the D300S and 7D, let alone the 5D MKII, D700, and 1D series. There's plenty of other reasons.

Give it a rest.
It's getting old really fast.
Getting a Canon isn't gonna help you make better pictures, until you know how to make better pictures.

Two of my friends use Olympus, and they take great photographs. :er:

It really depends what he's shooting. Saying a 5D MKII or D700 wouldn't improve photos over an Olympus camera when the user is shooting in a dark environment is something that's obviously false. Even a 50D, D90, D300, 7D, etc... You could get usable ISO 3200 shots and the user could be taught this.

I agree with all above.

But learn to use what you have, It will do you good. Canon or Nikon wont help.

See above.

yep!....people in the distant past have taken great photo's with a Box Brownie....go out and take 100's of photo's and then some more..learn from them, better still, do a weekend course!

People in the past also couldn't get some of the amazing shots that photographers today are getting with the equipment we have available to us.

Point is, the camera does matter to a degree, especially with using digital. If it didn't, each company would sell one camera and it would work just like the camera the other manufacturers sold.

WTD897.gif

At this point in the game, on a worldwide basis, Nikon out sells Canon by a slight margin.
I think you have that backwards. Nikon has been losing market share to Canon.

Japan_sales_Numers_2.png

...not that this matters. Suffice it to say they pretty much run neck and neck and dominate camera sales worldwide.

Since the OP is into repeating himself, I might as well share this again.

b2feF.png

Give it a rest.
It's getting old really fast.
Getting a Canon isn't gonna help you make better pictures, until you know how to make better pictures.

Two of my friends use Olympus, and they take great photographs. :er:

It really depends what he's shooting. Saying a 5D MKII or D700 wouldn't improve photos over an Olympus camera when the user is shooting in a dark environment is something that's obviously false. Even a 50D, D90, D300, 7D, etc... You could get usable ISO 3200 shots and the user could be taught this.

Well, from the other post, OP was thinking about switching from his E-510 camera to Canon EOS XS. He was trying to find ways to support his gear switching. The problem seems to be related to or started when OP was not able to focus correctly (manual focus) with his current 50mm F/1.8 lens and thought that switching to Canon should solve the problem. At least that is what I understand.

Point is, the camera does matter to a degree, especially with using digital. If it didn't, each company would sell one camera and it would work just like the camera the other manufacturers sold.

Actually, society, and therefore commerce, thrives on the illusion of choice. As pointed out in another thread, the pro market is a fairly small part of the photo world. And the vast majority of amateurs will do no better or no worse with one camera over another.

Let's not forget that for a lot of people, the camera they own is nothing more than another d*ck extension. And the more recognizable the brand the better. If becoming a pro (or just a good photographer) had anything to do with camera choice, I would never have had a career since I didn't get a so-called pro-camera until I was in my 13th year as a photog.

As for the OP, go ahead and get a Canon. It's your money and you do whatever you want with it. And at least you will stop with all those darn threads that don't make any sense.

And as someone else suggested, learn the basics. It would help you not compare the price of a 50mm 1.8 to that of a 50mm 2.8 and go "it's even more expensive!" for example.

Actually, society, and therefore commerce, thrives on the illusion of choice. As pointed out in another thread, the pro market is a fairly small part of the photo world. And the vast majority of amateurs will do no better or no worse with one camera over another.

Let's not forget that for a lot of people, the camera they own is nothing more than another d*ck extension. And the more recognizable the brand the better. If becoming a pro (or just a good photographer) had anything to do with camera choice, I would never have had a career since I didn't get a so-called pro-camera until I was in my 13th year as a photog.

As for the OP, go ahead and get a Canon. It's your money and you do whatever you want with it. And at least you will stop with all those darn threads that don't make any sense.

And as someone else suggested, learn the basics. It would help you not compare the price of a 50mm 1.8 to that of a 50mm 2.8 and go "it's even more expensive!" for example.

But with DSLRs, it's like having the film built in, and anyone should know that film choice matters in how much grain you get, color reproductions, and over all look is concerned.

How much of a difference really depends on the tier of the equipment.

I just don't care. I don't use a Canon, Nikon, or an Olympus. And, I just don't care. I do care about photographs taken but what camera was used it irrelevant. I don't ask for your approval for my purchase and don't intend to give you mine.

But with DSLRs, it's like having the film built in, and anyone should know that film choice matters in how much grain you get, color reproductions, and over all look is concerned.

How much of a difference really depends on the tier of the equipment.
Very true. BUT, the OP is complaining about the prices of lenses for his body, so getting a 5DmkII is out of the question. He's looking to switch to a XSi, which, has rather poor high ISO performance. He hasn't considered the nicer lenses for the Canon are just as expensive as nicer lenses for his Olympus. Also, it's been about auto focus, as if that's the whole problem here. It's not. There is more the OP is not being truthfull about, to us, and to himself, and that is inexperience. He made a thread about his first paid "gig", and then, later, makes a thread asking what F/Stop should be used for a given situation. This is another fine example of a wanna be photographer, charging money for his services, and he doesn't fully understand his camera. I will also bring into evidence, his thread about the Diopter adjustment. He claims he had messed around with it, didn't know what it did, and left it at that. Had he discovered this interesting "wheel" and wanted to know what it did, he could have looked it up in the User Manual. There is so much rediculousness going on here, it has surpassed funny, and is moving towards pathetic.

Yeah, by all means, buy a Canon, that will change everything. :er:

hey mods, is there anyway i can use all my "thanks" for the month? i need more for this thread. :lol:

I just don't care. I don't use a Canon, Nikon, or an Olympus. And, I just don't care. I do care about photographs taken but what camera was used it irrelevant. I don't ask for your approval for my purchase and don't intend to give you mine.

I totally agree.

I don't think it would be a stretch to say that most of us can agree that you can take great pictures with just about any camera. The end result is the photograph. Why one may not be able to get the shot they want can depend on equipment at times, but the measurebating and bashing of brands doesn't really solve the original problem.

I agree with all above.

But learn to use what you have, It will do you good. Canon or Nikon wont help.

See above.

Review his posts and get back to me, you might change your mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back