Rechargeable battery in your speed lights?

ecphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been wondering if its a good practice or not. I know that the voltages are slightly different on rechargeables 1.2v compared to something like a Duracell with 1.5v. I would be using them on a regular speed light and maybe a power pack too. Till now I've just been using regular Duracell's. I was just wondering if they perform well or if the affect your recycling or power.

I have seen a lot of people talk about using Eneloop rechargeable batteries in their camera gear, including speed lights.

I use the SB 800 with the fifth battery compartment added...it might not seem like much, but that FIFTH battery with that one, extra 1.2 volt, 2500 milli-ampere hour rechargeable Ansmann battery really makes a difference in recycle times....

I shoot most indoor flash at ISO 250,320,or 500 "most" of the time, so that also helps a bit. It has been so long since I used 4 or 5 AA-alkalines that I no longer have any basis for comparison between 1.5-volt batteries and 1.2-volt AA rechargeables.

If I need to shoot a LOT of flash pics, or have a gig where I know that I might get like ONE chance to shoot and absolutely MUST make the most of a few-second span, I still rely on an ancient Quantum Battery 1... $D3X_3334_Quantum Battery 1.jpg

They won't explode or anything. Whether they last less time or achieve slower cycling, I can't say for sure, but if so, it's a small enough difference that I've never just intuitively noticed it. Maybe if you have a stopwatch, it will be there, but it's not anything as dramatic as like 50% longer or shorter or anything like that.

Some thoughts:

1) Use Rechargeable batteries which retain charge between uses. Sanyo Eneloop were the first but Duracell and others now have similar lines out as well. These batteries will hold a charge even when left in a unit for months at a time; traditional rechargable batteries would drain out when left in a unit, meaning that the fully charged flash at the start of the week could be far lower by the end even if you'd not used it (which made for erratic reliability when you reached for the flash).

2) Use a good quality recharging unit. The typical ones sold with batteries are fast chargers - 30 mins or faster. These are BAD. They are bad because the faster you charge a battery the less charge it holds and the quicker its capacity degrades; with flash batteries able to be drained so fast that they could be on daily cycles these fast chargers will quickly cripple your batteries.
A slower charging unit (say overnight) is far superior. Maha/Powerrex make a good series of units that can be used to charge batteries with slower charging times. An 8 cell is ideal for charging groups of batteries; whilst their 4 cell C9000 can even be used to recondition batteries to get more recharge and new life out of them (rechargable batteries only of course).

Rechargeable batteries, used and recharged right, are a very worth while investment. You'll save a fortune on batteries by using them; otherwise you might find that you can easily go through 2 or 3 blocks of 4 AA per flash on a day of good use - do that for a fe days and you've spent quite a sum of money if you were buying AAs.

I keep mine in those little 4AA plastic holders that are around, keeping them in sets so that the whole set is charged and drained at the same time and rate. I also use a PIXEL battery pack that holds two groups of 4 AA Batteries which boost the recharging rate of the flash units (check your unit, not all flashes can take them an there are different PIXEL packs for different flash types).

Some thoughts:

1) Use Rechargeable batteries which retain charge between uses. Sanyo Eneloop were the first but Duracell and others now have similar lines out as well. These batteries will hold a charge even when left in a unit for months at a time; traditional rechargable batteries would drain out when left in a unit, meaning that the fully charged flash at the start of the week could be far lower by the end even if you'd not used it (which made for erratic reliability when you reached for the flash).

2) Use a good quality recharging unit. The typical ones sold with batteries are fast chargers - 30 mins or faster. These are BAD. They are bad because the faster you charge a battery the less charge it holds and the quicker its capacity degrades; with flash batteries able to be drained so fast that they could be on daily cycles these fast chargers will quickly cripple your batteries.
A slower charging unit (say overnight) is far superior. Maha/Powerrex make a good series of units that can be used to charge batteries with slower charging times. An 8 cell is ideal for charging groups of batteries; whilst their 4 cell C9000 can even be used to recondition batteries to get more recharge and new life out of them (rechargable batteries only of course).

Rechargeable batteries, used and recharged right, are a very worth while investment. You'll save a fortune on batteries by using them; otherwise you might find that you can easily go through 2 or 3 blocks of 4 AA per flash on a day of good use - do that for a fe days and you've spent quite a sum of money if you were buying AAs.

I keep mine in those little 4AA plastic holders that are around, keeping them in sets so that the whole set is charged and drained at the same time and rate. I also use a PIXEL battery pack that holds two groups of 4 AA Batteries which boost the recharging rate of the flash units (check your unit, not all flashes can take them an there are different PIXEL packs for different flash types).

I think I'll look for some soon. I'm down to my last 8 of a 48 pack and I might buy a couple of sets of rechargeables instead of plunking down the cash for another 48 pack lol.

I use the SB 800 with the fifth battery compartment added...it might not seem like much, but that FIFTH battery with that one, extra 1.2 volt, 2500 milli-ampere hour rechargeable Ansmann battery really makes a difference in recycle times....

I shoot most indoor flash at ISO 250,320,or 500 "most" of the time, so that also helps a bit. It has been so long since I used 4 or 5 AA-alkalines that I no longer have any basis for comparison between 1.5-volt batteries and 1.2-volt AA rechargeables.

If I need to shoot a LOT of flash pics, or have a gig where I know that I might get like ONE chance to shoot and absolutely MUST make the most of a few-second span, I still rely on an ancient Quantum Battery 1...View attachment 70666

I think I'll look into it. If it works for so many of you it must work pretty well.

Is there another brand other than the Sanyo ones that is good and maybe less than $5.00 per cell?

Last edited:
Quantum battery packs are not cheap, the PIXEL is a cheaper reliable option for general speedlite use. Really gage it on the amount you use and need your flash as to which is the most cost effective approach.

Quantum battery packs are not cheap, the PIXEL is a cheaper reliable option for general speedlite use. Really gage it on the amount you use and need your flash as to which is the most cost effective approach.

I would probably get a compatible Yongnuo pack since they are way cheaper. I'm sure not better than the quantum, but in my budget.

I found this on the Sanyo Eneloop site, it explained the difference pretty well. I guess the NiMh are the newer cells that work better than what they used before, or cheaper brands still do use.

9ama4u6u.jpg

I've been wondering if its a good practice or not. I know that the voltages are slightly different on rechargeables 1.2v compared to something like a Duracell with 1.5v. I would be using them on a regular speed light and maybe a power pack too. Till now I've just been using regular Duracell's. I was just wondering if they perform well or if the affect your recycling or power.
You're not going to notice a real difference unless you get cheap rechargeables. I remember getting so annoyed with my light that I bought the external battery pack, only to still see ridiculous cycle times. I switched from the "house brand" I had gotten from Adorama to the Energizers and the cycling is instant. I don't even use the powerpack anymore, I just carry a few extra batteries in the bag. Just bear in mind that the higher the power rating of the battery, the quicker it will lose it's charge when stored. In a controlled test the Energizers and Powerex actually outperformed the Eneloop (not enough that it'd really matter), but the Eneloops held their charge the best over time. All three were fairly close.

You're not going to notice a real difference unless you get cheap rechargeables. I remember getting so annoyed with my light that I bought the external battery pack, only to still see ridiculous cycle times. I switched from the "house brand" I had gotten from Adorama to the Energizers and the cycling is instant. I don't even use the powerpack anymore, I just carry a few extra batteries in the bag. Just bear in mind that the higher the power rating of the battery, the quicker it will lose it's charge when stored. In a controlled test the Energizers and Powerex actually outperformed the Eneloop (not enough that it'd really matter), but the Eneloops held their charge the best over time. All three were fairly close.

I just checked out those energizer ones on Amazon. They are half the price of the Eneloop ones.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back