Recommendation for a camera around 1000$

fotkar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I am pretty new to photography and would like to ask you experts for help.

I want to buy a camera and a lens (small 18-55) in the 1000$ range. Later on I would add additional bigger lens.

I am for the moment looking only at DSLR market as I do not have experience with mirroless. If you think you have sound advice also for mirroless please ad it in your suggestions.

I would also like to ask you what are VR lenses?

Just to give you also some additional info:
1. Currently I am using my Galaxy S8 phone cam for all my pics. Some time ago I bought Canon G7 but now it is completely outdated.

2. I have solid skills with DSLR cameras but they are still from before digital age.

3. I intend to use this camera for all more serious picture taking instead of my phone camera.

I am also not aware how to usefully user advance functions of new cameras like Wifi, bluetooth etc. What of this is really important?

At that price point, my choice would be the Nikon D7200. It is a crop sensor camera but has one of the best sensors around. Unless you just really want the Wifi/Bluetooth etc., I don't think it is that big a deal. It has been added to a lot of cameras to capture the I-phone crowd. The D7200 kits now seem to come with the 18-140 mm Nikkor lens. This is the lens I use about 80% of the time. It is much better than the kit 18-55 mm and has a lot more range. There are some refurbished kits around that are close to $1,000. List price is a little over $1,200.

I am also not aware how to usefully user advance functions of new cameras like Wifi, bluetooth etc. What of this is really important?
For me, those features are not important at all. The reason is; I always like to verify/cull/edit my photographs on my computer. I don't ever feel the need to send a photograph to the internet without at least a minimum amount of editing, so I never use WiFi to send photos.

I agree about the D7200. Very capable camera and has options the lower cameras don't have. With holidays coming up. And the D7500 being the newest one. I suspect the price might be lower this holiday season.

why would you pick a DSLR solely because you have no experience with Mirrorless?
Also, Olympus OMD EM10 III

For me, those features are not important at all. The reason is; I always like to verify/cull/edit my photographs on my computer. I don't ever feel the need to send a photograph to the internet without at least a minimum amount of editing, so I never use WiFi to send photos.
I find Wifi VERY useful when I travel. I can push the photos straight to my iPad and edit on the road. I also use a SD Card reader (which is faster)

Another vote for the Nikon D7200

Thanks for all suggestions. I really like the Nikon D7200 suggested here but for sure need more googling.

What would be mirrorless camera of same category as D7200?

Probably a Fuji xt2 would be an equal of the d7200, it probably surpassed it in some ways

I am doing some more research: what about D7500? What do I gain/loose with it compared to D7200?

I am doing some more research: what about D7500? What do I gain/loose with it compared to D7200?

From the looks of things you lose about 350 dollars, a card slot and about 4mp and a teeny tiny bit of dynamic range at base iso.

You gain 2fps, a more sophisticated focus module, a teeny tiny bit of hi iso performance, the swivel touch screen, 4k

Thanks for all suggestions. I really like the Nikon D7200 suggested here but for sure need more googling.

What would be mirrorless camera of same category as D7200?

A6300, XT2

Most reactions

Back