Recording Artist Portrait

Simple but effective lighting! The catchlight is so pleasing to look at and once again this photo is so crispy sharp I can't stop looking at it! Love the details!
Did you bounce any light back in to fill in the shadows?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Thanks! I use a macro lens for a lot of my portraits which really picks up a lot of great detail, and then add some subtle sharpening in post as the last step. The result is a portrait with details that look so crisp you feel like they are almost popping out of the display.

I did use fill; a white foam board from the Dollar Tree with tin foil glued to it. :p
Thats nice! Thanks for the info! I've been looking for a good macro lens for a while, actually! the Canon MP-E 65mm has all my attention for now, just gathering some money for it! But I wanted to have it for the macro shots, now I want it for the portraits aswell! hahah

Simple but effective lighting! The catchlight is so pleasing to look at and once again this photo is so crispy sharp I can't stop looking at it! Love the details!

Thanks! I use a macro lens for a lot of my portraits which really picks up a lot of great detail, and then add some subtle sharpening in post as the last step. The result is a portrait with details that look so crisp you feel like they are almost popping out of the display.

I did use fill; a white foam board from the Dollar Tree with tin foil glued to it. :p
Thats nice! Thanks for the info! I've been looking for a good macro lens for a while, actually! the Canon MP-E 65mm has all my attention for now, just gathering some money for it! But I wanted to have it for the macro shots, now I want it for the portraits aswell! hahah

Aaaaand I just found out I wouldn't be able to use it for portrait because the furthest it can focus is about 101mm away so.. I gotta chose between extreme 5x macro and no portraits or 1x macro and lovely portraits aswell! Probably will go with the latter :(

Great portrait!

Personally for my work, if I were to be getting my first macro "portrait" lens, I'd go with a longer focal length that isn't going to distort facial features when you go in for closer shots that utilize the lens' macro capabilities. I like the 100mm focal length because it doesn't distort anything, and I can use my 50mm lens for shots that are waist up or full body, etc.

Aaaaand I just found out I wouldn't be able to use it for portrait because the furthest it can focus is about 101mm away so.. I gotta chose between extreme 5x macro and no portraits or 1x macro and lovely portraits aswell! Probably will go with the latter :(
If you're doing portraits, I'd recommend the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (non L version). If you want a lens for extreme macro though and don't intend to use if for portraits, get the other one.

49627405._MG_3858_2005_18thSept.jpg
I used the Canon 100mm F/2.8 EF for a number of portraits back in the early 2000s. It is a solid Imager and doubles as a field telephoto and also as a macro lens as well as a portrait lens.

Here is a shot from the Canon 20D with in-camera sepia toning and the yellow filter preset applied. This shot was made Sept 21, 2005, at f/2.8, 1/80 second, Iso 800.

The 100 is a pretty decent lens. The MP-E is for 1x to 5x " ultra macro".

Last edited:
View attachment 186024 I used the Canon 100mm F/2.8 EF for a number of portraits back in the early 2000s. It is a solid Imager and doubles as a field telephoto and also as a macro lens as well as a portrait lens.

Here is a shot from the Canon 20D with in-camera sepia toning and the yellow filter preset applied. This shot was made Sept 21, 2005, at f/2.8, 1/80 second, Iso 800.

The 100 is a pretty decent lens. The MP-E is for 1x to 5x " ultra macro".
I definitely wasn't expecting to like this lens or use it as much as I do. I owned it for about 5 months before I gave it much of a chance, but I'm glad I'm using it now. I was lucky enough to find it for $200 in a pawn shop in Portland; I don't think they realized what they had.

spam reported

@DanOstergren @Derrel

Thanks guys!! I'll keep an eye for the 100mm macro! I already have a 100mm focal lenght, but its a Yongnuo non-macro and non-stabilized lens, so I might sell it and get the canon 100mm macro! Btw, @DanOstergren, why the non L version? Is the L version not worthed the extra bucks?

@DanOstergren @Derrel

Thanks guys!! I'll keep an eye for the 100mm macro! I already have a 100mm focal lenght, but its a Yongnuo non-macro and non-stabilized lens, so I might sell it and get the canon 100mm macro! Btw, @DanOstergren, why the non L version? Is the L version not worthed the extra bucks?
Personally I find a steady hand and the right shutter settings to be enough to stabilize the camera, but if you think you need the IS then maybe go for the L version. I also personally feel that luxury lenses are a bit of a money grab and cannot be a substitute for good camera operating skills.

Well, I do drink too much coffee throughout the day! hahah steady hands are not my speciallity! though I have to assume I has always been led to believe that the L series had more of a premium glass that would render better quallity image, not only aditional IS and a red line! lol I never had one, though!

Most reactions

Back