Red Haired Woman With a Cigarette

She is not the most interesting thing in this photo. Obviously its the gold guy there hovering somehow. Why did you title the photo for the boring lady walking past?

This is just a title, it means nothing. As I mentioned earlier this is NOT the portrait of a woman.

I'm not a fan of the shot either. My eyes dart all over the place rather than being able to find a focus point to begin with and then smoothly transition through the rest of the photo.
I do understand though that you have your reasons for liking it because it's your own shot and you were there to witness the moment. Often times I am in the same position of really liking and understanding one of my own photos but no one else see's it the way I do. At least in this instance people apologize to you after you defend your shot; that I've noticed is a BIG rarity in this forum.

With the number of different things to look at I feel like there could almost be two potential photos in this scene - the woman with the blue bag and the bag in the foreground with the window to the right might have made for one photo, and the performer with the pattern of lights in the window could have potentially been another photograph. Or just the street performer could have been an interesting subject with the gold metallic color and appearing to float in the air.

She is not the most interesting thing in this photo. Obviously its the gold guy there hovering somehow. Why did you title the photo for the boring lady walking past?

This is just a title, it means nothing. As I mentioned earlier this is NOT the portrait of a woman.

Now youre just ranting. Titles mean a lot. It implies the focus of the scene. How is that not an implortant aspect. Had this been entitled "Gold man hovering" the entire flow of this thread would be completely different.

Now youre just ranting. Titles mean a lot. It implies the focus of the scene. How is that not an implortant aspect. Had this been entitled "Gold man hovering" the entire flow of this thread would be completely different.

I am glad you liked the Golden Man. But as I mentioned not once already, it is not the portrait of a street performer. He is out of focus and the angle is not interesting for his portrait. I took several shots of this guy from much better angles and I can tell you - I am not interested in a shot of a street performer. I am interested in the interaction of a performer with other people. And I find an image of a performer totally ignored by the crowd to be more interesting than the of a guy who draws their attention. But you can rarely see a performer totally ignored, there is always someone in the crowd who is interested. So I took this angle where I can get at least some order in the frame and isolate one or two pedestrians. This shot was met with some mixed responses that gave me some good food for thought. Just a shot of a street performer with no attempt to put at least some story and some meaning is not worth it in my book, I leave it for tourists.

Well, I can see all the criticisms but i still like the photo which is not too busy for me. The title IS the main distraction and that is easily fixed. If the photo could be better, the red-haired woman could subsume a larger proportion of the frame.

Well, I can see all the criticisms but i still like the photo which is not too busy for me. The title IS the main distraction and that is easily fixed. If the photo could be better, the red-haired woman could subsume a larger proportion of the frame.

Thank you! I have to be careful with titles :scratch:
Fixed now. See the original post ;)

Last edited:

Thank you! I have to be careful with titles :scratch:
Fixed now. See the original post ;)
You're the artist, you should title your art as you please. Don't let anyone else tell you that you have to change something simply because they don't understand it. Let them have their opinions because art is subjective, but after all is said and done it's your vision that counts.

Sorry, but I agree with others! I tried and failed to find an interesting point.

Most reactions

Back